The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 20:22:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  engine calculations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: engine calculations  (Read 4056 times)
kever65

« on: April 12, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

dear loungers,

i found some useful engine calculations in the small powerhouses topic, but i want to make a list of calculations nessesary for building our flat 4 engines, i did a google check and found a lot of info, but most of it was about  v8's.

for example: manifold lenght  calculation, camshaft calculation,...

who can share share some info??

Udo

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 13:28:34 pm »

i have found out experience is better than reading any datas or calculations  . all depends on engine size and needs

Udo

Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 17:20:08 pm »

Get a trial version of engine analyzer. Awesome program.

http://performancetrends.com

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
morkrieger

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 18:31:07 pm »

This is a 'hot to handle' subject and i feel somewhat urged to give my 2 cents on this. I spent the past years (part hobby, part education) on this topic and found it to be quite a pitfall at times.

Simulation is nothing without calibration to the real world and that is where the most effort lies. For instance on EA Pro, the 'burn rate' (combustion speed) of the chamber holds
a lot of the 'f*ckup factors. low-end software like EA Pro is nice to look for trends.
High end programs like GT-Suite and 4Stroke Head (Blair) are the real stuff, that costs you more than your average cal-looker for a license and that's
where years of math calibration is paid for. Even on those programs  'bad input = bad output'. Even mid-end CFD programs (i tried and failed miserably partly due to software limitations) can't get close enough (<5%, if at all) to the real world data in dynamic situations. (let alone for a 'close to real' combustion model!!)
For instance: ANSIS Fluent supports a dynamic combustion model, though requires the user to have higher math understanding and programming experience.
Static (flow) is very acceptable and comparable to real world results ('virtual flowbench').

It takes a lot of creativity and knowledge of the engineer to combine simulation with real world experience into something 'bigger better faster stronger'. Smiley Though that might be an open door.
Most rules of thumb have their foundation in the head of a experienced mind. For example how many tuners/engine builders just know something works without being able to full explain it on a
'physics' level....still their stuff stays in 1 piece and runs like hell so again it can become a deep discussion rather quick  Embarrassed .

True dependable simulation is, to my opinion, out of reach for 99% of most enthousiasts because of the investment, training and required experience/knowledge needed to actually put that software to good use.

Apart from the ramble above it is a lot of fun to see what happens when you can 'play around' with so many variables without spending money on the real stuff. Good for the 'feeling'. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 19:00:36 pm by morkrieger » Logged
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:37 am »

So we should not use simple math formulas since a lot of trial and error experience is better.

And we should not use mid level engine simulations since they can be 5% off the "true" number.

Looks like your options are limited kever65.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
morkrieger

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:59 pm »

Jon, please i didn't mean it as harsh as it sounds apparantly  Grin
Rules of thumb work, 'low end' software works, up to a point that is.

I tried to write down that there's a lot left on the table.

Sorry for 'preaching' was not intended as such! Embarrassed
kever65

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 19:36:13 pm »

i didn't just ask the question for myself, i think a lot of the people inhere would really like to know something more about the calculations behind cam choice, valve choice, etc...
For example:
how can you calculate where a certain cam gives peak performance, what is the max rpm where max power is , if you have the flow results of your heads and all the other data from your engine needed for the calculation.

what is the manifold length needed for max power on this rpm's.

What venturi size do we need for that rpm

lets take a for example a 1915cc (all motor, with carbs) that we Will use just for dragracing (high rpm power), and than we can do the calculations for that same engine to be driven on the street (torque on low rpm's)

everybody knows that this Will be 2 complete different part lists. There are a lot of existing combos to choose from, who are proven to work, but it would be great if we can calculate it for ourself and see if the parts we are chosen in our combo are the best for our needs. everyone calculates for example the static compression of his engine but not so many people know how to calculate the dynamic compression of their engine because the formula of how you need to do that is not so well known amongst hobbyists. i want to make a list of usefull calculations here in this topic for everybody who wants to use them for their next engine build or fine tune their motor.
morkrieger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 19:56:43 pm »

A good lead perhaps:  Look up the manual of the Superflow flowbenches (on their website). It has a dedicated section
called flowbench theory. A lot is explained there regarding flow vs potential hp, inlet closing point calculations and much more. Also includes some empirical math (or formulas).

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 19:58:40 pm by morkrieger » Logged
Taylor

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 21:55:39 pm »

So we should not use simple math formulas since a lot of trial and error experience is better.

And we should not use mid level engine simulations since they can be 5% off the "true" number.

Looks like your options are limited kever65.

Can you list some of the simple calculations you use when designing a new engine please?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:09:29 am »

@ Morkrieger, as you correctly state 99% don't have advanced engine simulations available. And 99% of us don't have empirical data of every engine combinations out there.
But then again, we don't have anyone but ourselves to satisfy when we build a engine... unlike engine designers in the big motor-corporations out there.
I don't think you were harsh in what you were saying but you had high standards, so much so that I wonder what you do for a living Wink
As Roar Lunde used to say "The worst enemy of GOOD is BEST" and I think there is something in that.

@Taylor, as you probably have understood by now, I use Engine Analyzer and any other information I can find, like in the Mouse thread. Or this article on exhaust tuning http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/
As for what difference being able to analyze trends has on engine building, my 2176 improved 1.2 sec over the quartermile using the same basic parts.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
spanners

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »

Gentlemen, you both are correct, and some times i wonder if it is worth the time and effort to build a ' perfect engine'
we have all spent countless hours in the proper build and blue printing of a high dollar racing engine, but i ask, and am not alone in that some pretty serious championship winning owners share the view, is it REALLY necessary, we have all lost the original build specs when a mid season burnt valve or a shifted valve guide have meant internal work, perhaps odd new valves that have altered the original perfect chamber volumes and rocker geometry, even odd weight pushrods and rockers have gone into some of mine, why? because needs must, we were out on track yesterday, i threw in a 1.25 rocker one time during a lunch break, no time left, made the race with burnt and oily fingers,  another customer motor was found to be touching the heads with the pistons while eventing at the track, and repaired by block flatting the crowns with sandpaper, this in the wind blown dusty paddock, how about the season i did with 3/8 rod bolts torqued to 5/16 value? yes, 29 ft/lb at over 7000 rpm for a season or 6hrs wot racing, all was all perfect when i discovered my mistake, no b/e shell wear or cap shifting. the point im making is that these cobbled up warrior motors went just as well as the original builds even after the band aided repairs, so there it is, does it REALLY make a difference when the thrown together BITZA motors win races and dont explode? i know i will cut a lot more corners just to get trackside, im off racing ASAP and already cutting corners lol Wink

Best regards, spanners.
morkrieger

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 17:26:07 pm »

Gentlemen, you both are correct, and some times i wonder if it is worth the time and effort to build a ' perfect engine'
we have all spent countless hours in the proper build and blue printing of a high dollar racing engine, but i ask, and am not alone in that some pretty serious championship winning owners share the view, is it REALLY necessary, we have all lost the original build specs when a mid season burnt valve or a shifted valve guide have meant internal work, perhaps odd new valves that have altered the original perfect chamber volumes and rocker geometry, even odd weight pushrods and rockers have gone into some of mine, why? because needs must, we were out on track yesterday, i threw in a 1.25 rocker one time during a lunch break, no time left, made the race with burnt and oily fingers,  another customer motor was found to be touching the heads with the pistons while eventing at the track, and repaired by block flatting the crowns with sandpaper, this in the wind blown dusty paddock, how about the season i did with 3/8 rod bolts torqued to 5/16 value? yes, 29 ft/lb at over 7000 rpm for a season or 6hrs wot racing, all was all perfect when i discovered my mistake, no b/e shell wear or cap shifting. the point im making is that these cobbled up warrior motors went just as well as the original builds even after the band aided repairs, so there it is, does it REALLY make a difference when the thrown together BITZA motors win races and dont explode? i know i will cut a lot more corners just to get trackside, im off racing ASAP and already cutting corners lol Wink

I couldn't agree more and being a perfectionist (as Jon hit bullseye on that) is THE reason i (and i know many others in that respect) am stuck to the drawing board and watching others go fast and have fun.
Don't mean to be sad here, i enjoy theory as much as practice. But the more you know on the theory side the more 'what if's' and doubts arise on the practical side of things. Especially if you integrate the 'lifespan/durability' bit into the equation...stuff get's crazy quick... I have deep respect for the engine builders out there do it on 'gut feeling' and talent (and not just that),  and do the go fast stuff without overthinking  Smiley, while i watch on the trackside bashing my pocket calculator  Grin

(Warning: emotional rant  Grin)
@ Jon: I can only be honest; i started on engine overhaul (professionally) in an ACVW shop years ago, came into contact with the racing world, made lots of friends (some at OEM's developing stuff thats permanently on NDA, the really good stuff). I'm finishing my degree in automotive engineering, spent countless of hours on a professional dyno watching serious racing engines do their thing, and helping out to improve their stuff performance wise by deduction, theory, science, voodoo ( Grin ), loads of talking/engine philosophy, and practice. Being a sparring partner in general, but i kept learning at very high pace due to the combination of both (science backed) education and practice. So i kinda get to see both ends of the snake so to speak. I witnessed loads of high cost engines fail (either mechanically or performance wise) on the dyno and standing next to their owners/builders and watching the devastation on both their face and/or in the dyno room is just coal on the fire of a perfectionist -> if only you/we knew more before we fired up the d**n thing.....
Again i have the deepest respect for all the time, effort and money (and the sacrifices) the people on this (and many other) forums put into their work.

But i have also witnessed stuff go bad hard just because people went 'blind' at an excel sheet, or 'what he said' without knowing the bigger picture, which could have saved them from making a costly mistake. Often such a thing results in 'giving up on it' out of disappointment or material reasons which, for me, is not the intention of a great hobby like our beloved (ACVW) engines/cars.
I guess that it's where thorough experience comes in, checking your gut with your head and tools you are proficient with. And if both say 'yes' it ought to work out right or even beyond 'the average'.
As an example: i had the chance last year to visit and talk to Johannes Persson in person at his shop and he is living proof: experience+education+the right 'soft' tools = magic and there's his work to prove it (which is remarkable).
And that's what i love about forums like this as we can all put our dime in the pocket to keep the progress going into the positive direction for all  Grin

So to continue my 'emotional' rant, back to the original topic: this has been tried so many times and requires more work than writing a book or two to prevent mistakes that become obvious áfter stuff broke down.
That's why i suggest getting books, digest, compact and reflect. Books went through an audit (especially the engineering books) and reduce the error-rate to comfortable levels.
I have made my mistakes too, i too thought that it was 'just math' and the engine gods are still happy with my sacrifices (as opposed to my wallet). There is one huge exception here: if you keep it
within reason (and that is left to define) you can't do much wrong if you listen well to the folks that already did it!

I have all the faith in rules of thumb and general 'ball park' excel sheets/tools or 'murals in the workshop' to get you, well..., into the ballpark of things though please, do not accept them as defining
the boundaries of what is possible, or impossible, and that is where the danger lies, and experience/(scientific) knowledge comes in.
*sweats*...i guess my intention is/was to prevent the topic starter  falling into a trap that i got stuck in as well which left me stuck at the drawing board, or ending up with something
that did not live up to my expectations (aaaaaaaand here we go again.... Grin ).

I love to help out wherever i can with all i know, but i will always keep shouting from the rooftops that there's always more and the devil is in the details (all the tears  Cry ).

Note: i keep editing this post as it does not cover all the thoughts but oh well...stuff like this needs a campfire and a drink or two  Grin

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 18:12:29 pm by morkrieger » Logged
brian e

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 19:46:29 pm »

There are a ton of different single item calculators here.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

they are helpful in deciding choke points, valve sizes, and a bunch of other stuff. 

They are free, and they are only as good as the info you provide.  Fun to mess around with.

Brian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: