The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 17:35:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1385 supercharged project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1385 supercharged project  (Read 2433 times)
samotorsport

« on: April 12, 2020, 21:13:34 pm »

So the Karmann engine is done , the Corona is still there , lets start something new.
Base is a 1200 cc with 90 mm opening , top notch condition ( coming from a fire brigade pump with very few hours and good service )
1300 dp original heads , AA big bore kit for 1385 cc , Amr 500 charger , Weber Dcoe carb ( only to be used as throttle body)
1600i intake manifolds with injectors.
Free programable ECU .

My question about the heads , i have to re work them completely .
My plan
Media blasting
Grinding out the cracks from the plug hole to the valves ( no cracks between the valves )
Welding up all the cracked stuff with WIG/TIG
And then ? First new seats and after this the guides ?
I wanna have the guides to guide the cutter to set the seat-holes .
The guides don t come loose that quick when reheating them to put in the seats i guess . 
After putting in the guides in , is a 8mm H7 honing good enough ? Or does it need to be more precise ?
Garrick Clark

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 22:51:54 pm »

Seats out.
Do the welding
New seats
Old guides out
Do the porting to blend in the new seats
New guides back in
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 22:56:45 pm by GARRICK.CLARK » Logged

Air cooled Engine builder
brewsy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:27:10 am »

So the Karmann engine is done , the Corona is still there , lets start something new.
Base is a 1200 cc with 90 mm opening , top notch condition ( coming from a fire brigade pump with very few hours and good service )
1300 dp original heads , AA big bore kit for 1385 cc , Amr 500 charger , Weber Dcoe carb ( only to be used as throttle body)
1600i intake manifolds with injectors.
Free programable ECU .

Same same but different is Wally's awesome thread..
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138482

Im on a similar quest but intend to start with a 69mm crank and keep 1285 (or around 77ish mm).
Instead of welding up a cracked pair of 1300DP's you might want to try and source a solid pair? Got mine from the engine rebuild place in Catford, London.
As my pair are solid my plan is/was to actually weld the spakplug hole up and then redrill for a smaller plug (diameter) so that there is then more meat  between seat<>plug although to be fair the cracking might be due to the fact that lots of people think/thought that 1300DPs ran lean and/or overheated regularly?

Looking forward to your build!
samotorsport

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:40:29 am »

In the end i may need to find a solid pair of heads , but i got those in my shelf , and a WIG Alu Welder at home , same as a milling machine , therefore i wanna try to fix them myself . All big builders had to do their first set once , so why not giving it a try . If i fail I still can throw them away . But at least i tried Wink
I am always up for new challenges . So here we go .
I gonna keep it posted here , even if i fail .
My plan includes to weld up the holes too so i can put in the smaller plugs .
I am not in a rush  and i hope that the cracked up heads will be more solid after welding them up then a set of not yet cracked heads waiting to start cracking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samotorsport

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 17:09:13 pm »

So give me your opinion
The crank is still the old style with a normal not elongated hole for the conrod oil supply

So either i notch them to the same dimensions as later cranks , or i put the bearing halfs onto the lathe machine , putting in a little groove on the inside to give the two center rod bearings a constant flow of fresh oil .
Max rpm is planned at 5000 to 5500 rpm .
Oil pump i think i go with a 26 mm

samotorsport

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 18:38:44 pm »

The conrods are brought to equal weight , started with 1,3 gr of a difference , now all within 0.15 grams

The case is cleaned and checked , all ok , still gonna set the fullflow connection to it

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: