The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My First Engine Build....2110
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: My First Engine Build....2110  (Read 115301 times)
richie

« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2015, 18:37:21 pm »

As a reference Andy I got 85psi at 2500rpm cold, 45 psi at idle [900-1000 rpm ] cold on the project 67 engine, hot about 65psi at cruising[ 3200-3500rpm] and 35psi at idle[ 1100-1200 rpm] on a mechanical autometer gauge with a -4 feed using all 20/50 brad penn oil

You gauge reading would worry me still

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2015, 18:38:22 pm »

Did you check both plungers?

andy198712

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2015, 19:52:35 pm »

Did you check both plungers?

Just the rear as surely my cooler one wouldn't make any difference as it just goes to a bypass? i can check that one tomorrow and replace with a polished one (got a grooved one i can put in)

That is higher then mine..... i had higher cold pressures on my 1200 using 20-50 halfords on the same gauge although i do doubt the gauge as the sender rattles when i shake it now which doesn't fill me with hope for its readings but i do have that test gauge coming soon hopefully, and this is is visibly thinner.... i could try they're 20-50 next time maybe then...

Thanks for the input Richie Cool

cedric

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:31 am »

I did have a problem with a oil filter(full flow) i change the the filter to a type from a peugeot car and it boosted my oil pressure by0,5bar
Hope you find your problem fast!
andy198712

« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:59 am »

I did have a problem with a oil filter(full flow) i change the the filter to a type from a peugeot car and it boosted my oil pressure by0,5bar
Hope you find your problem fast!

cheers buddy, currently using a VW filter, the golf style ones, the one i used was a pattern part and the oil was poured in a lot easier, this VW one i could only pour is in via the little holes around the outside and it was slow to fill.

Got a pressure test gauge coming on monday hopefully! if not today so can see. my pressure levels out about 3.5/4bar which is what... 55/60 psi? but after a run home from work today at idle of 900 rpm the gauge does flicker on zero raising to half/1 bar at about 200 rpm more.

Would a 30mm pump solve my issues you think or is that just a band aid? just the extra flow i've made has me thinking....

Thanks for all the help everyone has giving me, its been so helpful! i'm very greatful
Neil Davies

« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2015, 09:56:56 am »

Andy, I've had problems with pattern filters on watercooled VWs in the past. My old B3 Passat and a couple of mk2 Golf GTi's have all flickered the warning lights or sounded buzzers but sorted as soon as the filter was changed for a genuine one.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
andy198712

« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:46 am »

Andy, I've had problems with pattern filters on watercooled VWs in the past. My old B3 Passat and a couple of mk2 Golf GTi's have all flickered the warning lights or sounded buzzers but sorted as soon as the filter was changed for a genuine one.

Current one is a branded VW unit though.... but i know what you mean, i only buy my filters from the dealer now for the water-cooled cars due to dodgy fit of pattern ones i was finding!

tempted to just try and loop the oil pipe to block that off for testing after  get my pressure gauge Smiley
andy198712

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2015, 18:41:42 pm »

I get 8psi at a hot idle where its uncomfortable to hold the dipstick ring for more then a few seconds but do able.... If that makes sense?

I'm tempted to try a thicker oil and or 30mm pump tbh...?
richie

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2015, 19:13:28 pm »

I get 8psi at a hot idle where its uncomfortable to hold the dipstick ring for more then a few seconds but do able.... If that makes sense?

That sounds way to hot, don't try to band aid it, all my N/A stuff has 26mm pumps on them and plenty of pressure

cheers Richie

andy198712

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2015, 19:52:13 pm »

That sounds way to hot, don't try to band aid it, all my N/A stuff has 26mm pumps on them and plenty of pressure

cheers Richie

i still don't have a fan or scoop on the cooler, i really need a temp gauge on it too to see whats happening with that.

Just trying to see where i'm going wrong, i'm thinking if i loop the oil pipe to test at hot idle and bypass the filter and cooler i can see if thats restricting me, maybe a the sandwich plate.
or try 20-50 like you use and see how i get on compared to your results, i expected a little less due to the hoover mods and drillings ect.
can the rear plunger effect oil pressure do you think? as surely if its stuck down its going to the mains, and if its up its just going via my bypass plate to the mains....
so many options and causes i guess!

Thanks again Richie, very greatful!
richie

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2015, 20:04:01 pm »

I am not sure what you mean, the oil bleed hole goes straight into a cavity by the cam gear, you can see it hear where I plugged it

richie

« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2015, 20:04:57 pm »

What brand oil cooler is it, I have seen the mesa coolers loose a bunch of pressure

andy198712

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2015, 20:10:02 pm »

isn't that bit to allow an fluid below the piston to escape? i might order up some millers classic 20w50 as it has good levels of zinc (i forget the full name) in it and double check the plungers when i change the oil.
can just try and rule out each option one by one i guess!

i didn't block mine as i just left my plunger in the cooler relief bit as it didn't really seem to matter which way it went due to no cooler... if thats makes sense Smiley

its SETRAB one and i hear good things about them?, using JIC-10 lines off a thermostat sandwich plate. my oil lines are half inch dia

cold oil pressure is fine, just after a blast at idle it starts to drop
richie

« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2015, 20:19:05 pm »

If the plunger is seated ok then yes it doesn't matter but without checking you don't know if it, setrab are good so no problem there

andy198712

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2015, 20:23:58 pm »

If the plunger is seated ok then yes it doesn't matter but without checking you don't know if it, setrab are good so no problem there

OK i'll double check that, and see if that make s difference, then try the oil, then try looping the oil line to cut out the plate and filter head and filter see if thats it.... then i'll start running out of ideas  Grin
andy198712

« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2015, 20:33:38 pm »

not too far off 1000 miles on it now. running really well, no nasty surprises, changed to a 10-60W to be on the safe side even though i wasn't seeing the oil light with the 10-50.
switched to the pugeot filter that was suggested also (not that easy to find in the uk)

got a mag oil plug and when i changed to the oil i had a thin layer of magnetic metal paste(very fine stuff) on it guessing from the break in process but i'm no worried. the oil breather pipe is pretty much dry.

preparing to change it to fuel injection which is the next challenge. got my gsxr ITB's mounted to manifolds via GSXR intake rubbers, and brought some 8mm Kunifer line (25ft roll) and a 12mm pre filter to got onto my bosch pump, then a 8mm inline (huge) filter used on Jags, which will go to the stock GSXR fuel rails i need to cut and braze to length.... from there to a 3BAR FPR and back to the tank. i'm using the CB T piece to handle the 12mm out and 8mm in for the tank.

i'll see if it fits with the stock shroud or i may have to fit my 911 kit sooner then i was planning (1 thing at a time!) or if it fits in the car without the lump hammer coming out  Roll Eyes

Cheers Smiley
andy198712

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2015, 20:34:23 pm »

Even with the single stock carb.... its still many times faster then the old 1200  Grin
cedric

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2015, 08:28:49 am »

So did the filter his job?if youre over the pond,buy then here if you need them...if they work
andy198712

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2015, 13:32:15 pm »

So did the filter his job?if youre over the pond,buy then here if you need them...if they work

need to get the mech gauge on it again to double check, i'm in the UK found one on amazon, but like you say, if its good, its good  Grin
i changed the oil at the same time though to a slightly thicker oil but will see what the gauge says
andy198712

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2015, 17:23:37 pm »

14/15psi at hot idle it idles at 1000rpm Smiley and at 2000rpm its at 35psi
andy198712

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2015, 19:04:48 pm »

been trying my hand at brazing!

making fuel rails, out of the stock fuel rails on the GSXR for my ITB's.

going to cut off all the excess metal on the throttle bodies eat, but getting there!
andy198712

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2016, 00:08:35 am »

So guess an update is needed!!

Got about 2000 miles on the engine sadly STILL on the stock carb Sad getting 28mpg on a longer run and 17-19 on shorter runs to work ect.

Got the efi pump installed and pre filter and feed line, just the pressure filter to install and return line then I can look at location of the FPR and fit the 911 cooling and ITBs, I did have a nice big filter to fit but I don't have the space I don't think, so I'm going to find a smaller option, current is 75mm dial I think... And looking at options in the 50mm range or a sytec that's nice and slim.

Had a minor hiccup with the rocker trying to eat it's self but that should be sorted soon enough Smiley

Need to pull my finger out and get that return line sorted!!
andy198712

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2016, 00:39:24 am »

Also ghetto checked the end play, admitantly it has grown 0.03 MM. from 0.16 to 0.19 but I'm guessing she that's just bedding in and will keep an eye on it over the miles

It gave the same reading 4 times in a row
andy198712

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2016, 20:17:03 pm »

added a AN 10 hose to my dizzy block off.... i'm now noticing my dipstick tube, which used to weep, is now dry.... which is a bonus. i'm going to add the same size hose to my fuel pump block off too as when i go 911 cooling, i'll loose the good stock breather Sad

Spot the dogs dick  Roll Eyes

andy198712

« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2016, 19:24:34 pm »

So!

Got the week off and just getting the last few bits together to covert to throttle bodies and 911 cooling.
Bit nervous about the tuning but I'll learn it on the fly Wink ignition map is ok, just the fuel to do and I've got one to copy to get me going from a similar setup which is lucky, should get me rolling.

Tidied up the wiring for the ecu today, shortened up some earths ect to make it look nice, will get some nice cable sheath to finish it off.

Pics to follow this week hopefully!

Hard lines are all run, pump fitted, just needs plumbing and wiring up, test for leaks and go from there! Just hoping the throttle bodies fit in the car or I'll need to use one of 2 main tools 1) hammer 2) angle grinder.

Cheers

Andy
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2016, 12:07:23 pm »

Really great thread and great build, keep up the good work  Cool

andy198712

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2016, 21:49:48 pm »

Really great thread and great build, keep up the good work  Cool

Cheers buddy! Learnt a lot! Not started the EFI change over just yet but there's hope for the weekend!
andy198712

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2016, 21:05:53 pm »

Got a bit delayed!

But i have tomorrow off and the weekend to do this. the actual fitting won't be too bad, although i'll take my time, it'll be the tuning i think that will take the time. especially with shoptalk forum down  Roll Eyes (great for megasquirt stuff)

So, got home from work today and started the strip down to get a head start, Now i'd been told you COULD NOT remove the fan shroud with the deckled on....

i had to remove the ALT stand too but it was pretty easy to do..... just for peoples reference

still plagued by this oil leak which i'm pretty sure is the oil cooler block off.... Think when i have some cash i'll speak to Richie about a nice block off!

So this is how i left it for the evening as light was fading!

I also tried to drain the tank but after a mouth of petrol i still have about a quarter  Roll Eyes should have just hot-wired the fuel pump.

tempted to give the engine bay a quick coat of black spray paint just to tidy it up for the nice porsche fan and body coloured shroud.

In other news i pulled out another toy to picture for a possible sale..... i can't say i use it anymore so seems silly to sell it, but its just such a good bike.... but 190 MPH is a tad fast  Roll Eyes

Been double checking all the ECU settings, easy to miss something! Also sorting out a TPS switch, i don't have the plug for the stock GSXR one for my throttle bodies, so soldered wires to the 3 terminals. then back filled with 2 part epoxy... just need to measure the resistance of the wires while i move it to work out which is +,- and signal wire and i'm set on that!

Good times!
andy198712

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2016, 21:09:47 pm »

i also noticed there was soot from the exhaust in the inlet, guessing thats normal from cam overlap right?

looking more at the oil leak i'm wondering how i have so much over the right hand side.... could well be case parting line maybe.... hmmmm
andy198712

« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2016, 20:41:12 pm »

Bit more done today, bit of fiddling and shroud clearance work done so I can get it around the crank sensor at the flywheel side and a few adjustments to get the plug wires in ect

The left hand ITB fitted fine...... The right hand one, the fuel rail contacted the engine bay wall, so a few well placed blows with a hammer and I have a good 15mm clearance.

Bit fiddly to get them in and doing up the nuts on the manifold is going to be a nightmare so might borrow some slim nuts from the exhaust.

I also brought some gasket material, cut out some intake gaskets so hopefully they'll seal nice.

So having never seen this fitted like I have before and making the manifolds and rails I was pretty relieved to see that it's going to work out which is a bit relief!

That's how I left it, will fit the fan and wire in the alternator and new reg rec and see if that works lol

Plumb in the fuel system and wire up the injectors and work out how the TPS is wired.... Make the cable linkage and see if I have any leaks then start it hopefully! Then tune it to drive to work on Monday  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: