The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:21:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: California  (Read 5216 times)
48ida

« on: August 13, 2007, 21:38:44 pm »

Guys I am heading over there in May 08, my first ever visit to the U.S.A.!

Making plans now, renting a Westfalia to travel around in. What are the must do's when visiting? Nick's is on my list, Bugorama in Sacremento too, I would like to cram as much Volkswagen stuff into my visit as possible.

Any more suggestions please? Any 'must do's'?

Cheers
 Cool

I DRIVE MY VOLKSWAGEN WAY TO FAST TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHOLESTEROL LEVEL
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 21:42:20 pm »

Remember to take time out to enjoy some non-VW stuff, too. There's plenty of it and you'll kick yourself if you don't get to see the sights while you're there. And i don't mean stuff like Disneyland etc... Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
48ida

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 22:04:39 pm »

Remember to take time out to enjoy some non-VW stuff, too. There's plenty of it and you'll kick yourself if you don't get to see the sights while you're there. And i don't mean stuff like Disneyland etc... Smiley

Will do, got plenty of those sort of plans Keith. Big Sur, Huntington Beach, Yosemite, San Fransico, Napa Valley, Kings Canyon and adding to the list all the time. Will need some VW fixes in between all this though  Grin

I DRIVE MY VOLKSWAGEN WAY TO FAST TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHOLESTEROL LEVEL
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 22:50:29 pm »

Will do, got plenty of those sort of plans Keith. Big Sur, Huntington Beach, Yosemite, San Fransico, Napa Valley, Kings Canyon and adding to the list all the time. Will need some VW fixes in between all this though  Grin

So, which weekend were you planing on hitting those places?  Grin Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 23:44:59 pm »

You've got a great list of places to visit there. One of my "hobbies" is aimlessly wandering around the different environs of Natural California. Kings Canyon is a MUST. Big Sur too....in fact the coastline from San Luis Obispo all the way to Carmel is awfully cool. Beware of the big RVs though, you'll get bogged down for sure. The drive up the coastline from Marin Headlands north is another blue ribbon winner. Lots of interesting places to snoop around, eat, drink...etc. You can spend a few days on the journey from Golden Gate up the coast to north of Ft Bragg and never get bored. Yosemite is a delight but can be like going to Disneyland but oh so much more beautiful. Other must sees, in my opinion....Lake Tahoe, Carrizo Plain, Sequoia (which is adjacent to Kings Canyon), the redwoods of the north coast, Jedidiah Smith State Park, and the Diablo Range (small chain of mountains separating Salinas and San Benito valleys and the San Joaquin valley), where you can see evidence of one of the most dreaded fault lines in the world...San Andreas. Other stops if you have the time should include Mother Lode country (Highway 49 is a killer drive), Mono Lake (on eastern side of Sierra, at bottom of highway 120 which goes through Yosemite), Death Valley (though May is gonna be sort of hot), Mt Lassen (way up in Cascade region north of Tahoe). Berkeley is a neat city to visit....there is always something of interest for anyone in Berkeley.

Have fun!

Hmmm....better make that two weekends  Grin

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 00:00:50 am »

Don't forget the Chino Beer Stop At Sarges house might even have the Grill Going LMAO Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:33:33 am »

If you get up through San Louis Obispo, check out the Madonna Inn, have dinner and stay in one of the rooms if you can ,real neat place.

I also park at Nick's.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:12:34 am »

Jim Ratto said it all,but Disney and universal studios are fun too Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
alfie the monster

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:45:38 am »

What's the weather like end of March start of April? I'm going out there then for 2/3 weeks for my 30th  Wink

If anyone wants to host a birthday bash on the 3rd for me, I'll be a happy bunny  Cheesy

JG54 Grunherz
deano

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 13:16:10 pm »

What's the weather like end of March start of April? I'm going out there then for 2/3 weeks for my 30th  Wink

Rain to the north (50-60s), and nice to the south (60-70s).

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
flatfire

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 14:59:40 pm »

Get the Monks guide to California. Its a great alternative guide and a good read. Weird and wonderful places Smiley
Sarge

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 21:24:25 pm »

Get the Monks guide to California. Its a great alternative guide and a good read. Weird and wonderful places Smiley

Is this it?  http://www.monk.com/display.php?p=Travel

DKP III
flatfire

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 22:46:42 pm »

Is this it?  http://www.monk.com/display.php?p=Travel

That's the Monks an excellent slant on Californian culture Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: