The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:39:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Gearbox with long axles in oval window
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gearbox with long axles in oval window  (Read 3084 times)
brmmark

« on: May 02, 2014, 08:08:17 am »

After some troubles with my old gearbox, a friend donated a prostreet gearbox with long axles (>1968) to me. Now I am making plans to put the that gearbox in my oval window that I am running with typ 3 5x205 drums and 205/70/15 tires.

I know I have to change the nose cone from a 3 holes to a two holes version, but will this gearbox with long axles fit under my rear fenders without the tires rubbing and can I use the type 3 drums  5x205 drums on it? I looked for information on here, the samba and I even have a hot vws article, but I am not sure. So has anybody did this swap

Any information is very welcome.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 15:19:57 pm »

Depends on the offset of your wheels but probably not.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 18:14:56 pm »

On my '57, I had to fit short axles to use late ('68) type-1 drums . . . late 6x15 Porsche alloys with 205/65-15.

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »

Why don't you just use your axles on the new gearbox

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
brmmark

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 15:39:39 pm »

On friday evening I went to the garage and put the gerbox in. I wanted to use these axles because these are the stronger versions. The only thing I think I have to change is the tires. Thinking of going back to 195/70/15  to get the tire under the rear fender. This is not a problem because I was fed up with the wandering of the 205/70 15 tires.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 00:35:58 am »

You actually need to change the 3 bolt nose cone to a splitty 2 bolt nose cone, as the bug 2 bolt nose cone puts the gearbox at a strange angle. If you compare a spiltty 2 bolt nose cone to a bug 2 bolt nose cone the hockey sticks com out at different heights. The splitty nose cone will keep the gearbox at the correct angle.

As for the 205 type 3 brakes they will fit on a long axles, but the wheels will stick out more. Like you say though 195 wheels should squeeze them under the arches. It all depends on the offset of wheel your running really. Smiley

Dude  Cool

richie

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 13:31:46 pm »

Unless you modified the chassis the shock mounts will be wrong and the shocks will bind, the angle on Split & Oval era shock mounts is different later cars and you need to use short Split/Oval axle tubes to match correctly

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
brmmark

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

Unless you modified the chassis the shock mounts will be wrong and the shocks will bind, the angle on Split & Oval era shock mounts is different later cars and you need to use short Split/Oval axle tubes to match correctly

cheers Richie

Yes you are right Richie, I like the look of 205 tyres so I am going back to short axles. I already removed the gearbox several times so on more time shouldn't be a problem Huh
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: