The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:19:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  IDA accelerator cam/roller
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IDA accelerator cam/roller  (Read 2669 times)
63 ripper

« on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:15 am »

Hi. Which products are people using to keep these lubricated/greased. Everything I have tried doesn't seem to stay on, leading to grooves wearing in the roller. You end up with a horrible throttle response and a lean condition.

Has anyone tried some sort of sealed bearing instead of the roller ?

These are Spanish IDAs, it's possible the old ones wear less.

Thanks in advance..

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 16:53:40 pm »

I use a small bronze sleeve pressed over orig roller. I use Bosch distributor grease or anti sieze. Make sure your ramp is burr free and smooth. I have to re-lube mine maybe once every 6 months driving the car 3-4 x a week.
63 ripper

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 18:08:43 pm »

Interesting, thanks Jim.

I guess that the strength of the material is not so important then, brass being softer than steel ?

I'm surprised no one (Jaycee etc) has started producing an upgraded product...

JG54

Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 18:31:04 pm »

I heard somewhere that Gene Berg Ent had an upgrade.
Had I been more maintenance minded in my younger years with my IDA's, my original rollers would look better today. I used to get a real notchy pedal and go hog wild disassembling linkage and lubricating all pivot points and heim ends, and cable. Usually didn't help much. A friend of mine in DKP with years more experience pointed out my rollers were prob flat spotted and rough. He suggested Bosch grease. My rollers were flatted, hence the sleeves (going on 7 years now, no flats).
A lot of 48's I've worked on for buddies have had dry/rough rollers with a flat spot ground into them. Sometimes they even squeak.  Shocked
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 18:45:50 pm »

It has been done.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
63 ripper

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 19:50:58 pm »

I heard somewhere that Gene Berg Ent had an upgrade.
Had I been more maintenance minded in my younger years with my IDA's, my original rollers would look better today. I used to get a real notchy pedal and go hog wild disassembling linkage and lubricating all pivot points and heim ends, and cable. Usually didn't help much. A friend of mine in DKP with years more experience pointed out my rollers were prob flat spotted and rough. He suggested Bosch grease. My rollers were flatted, hence the sleeves (going on 7 years now, no flats).
A lot of 48's I've worked on for buddies have had dry/rough rollers with a flat spot ground into them. Sometimes they even squeak.  Shocked

I bought these about 3 years ago from Bergs when I needed the adjustable pump ramp. They look like steel rollers, the finish on the ramp is different though, like they have been treated. These rollers are now flatted...

Perhaps they have an upgrade now (not listed on website)

JG54

63 ripper

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 19:51:47 pm »

It has been done.

Did it work ?  Smiley

JG54

63 ripper

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 19:54:43 pm »

double post

JG54

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: