The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:58:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Need some European Input about the Turbo Diesels used in DOKA's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some European Input about the Turbo Diesels used in DOKA's?  (Read 4899 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:35 am »

I keep reading about a turbo diesel 1.6 motor that was used in VANAGONs and gets 45-55mpg.  It is called the DOKA motor. Do any of you in the European scene know anything about this motor or someone who is mechanically astute about them.  I am curious if they were EFI turbo diesels and would like to find out anything I can about them.

Any input, pictures, european sites or referrals to someone who an educate me on them would be appreciated.  Cannot find much on my internet searches about them. If you have a good link or site I can refer to, post it if you would.

Rick M
Surprise, AZ
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:02:57 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:00 am »

Hey Rick,

I think you're a little off here, Doka stands for doppel kabin (crewcab). At home I have some interesting links on the Vanagon (T3 as we call it). I'll post them up later on.

As for the engine, there were indeed some nice small diesels in the transporters. I had one that gave me 8l/100km I don't know haw that translates to miles/gallon though. But damn are they slow, don't expect to get moe out of them than 110km/h. By the way, these engines could also be found in the Golf and Caddy, only in the transporter they had to tilt them a bit to fit under the lid.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
rick m

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:56 am »

Sorry about the incorrect reference on the motor.  It is what I keep hearing and being used on Vanagons (as we call them) or Transporters with the Turbo Diesel Motor. I've owned the TDI motors but they are a direct port type injection and they made incredible torque and power. We owned a 2005 Passat TDI with a 5 speed and I was stunned by the performance.

I had heard that the turbo diesels used in the transporters were a little sluggish.  I am looking at one that is in a 1990 Dual Cab and has a 5 speed. I guess it is probably geared very low to accomodate the low end torque and help it get around. It is advertising 45 mpg (Miles per Gallon) in the ad.  It is a classy looking vehicle but I know nothing about the motors and don't want to end up buying a slug without doing my research.

If you have any additional information or sites you can refer me to, I am open to any and all input or information.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
ian c

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:04 am »

hey rick ,
how you doin .

its the old  1600 motor used in the golfs etc. (they also did a deisel version of the GTI , called a GTD  Grin
it was uprated with a better deisel-pump and intercooler etc.
not efi . 70 bhp .
but can be changed out for a 1.9 sdi or even a 1.9tdi engine easy enough , though if thats what you really want it'll be better to just buy a t4 .

search for "type 25" or "T25" Wink

i had an 89 golf van with the non-turbo version of this engine . 50bhp
pulled it around ok , but wasnt exactly fast , it was pretty civilised though and got me 45+ ....

if youre desperate for this shape transporter (over a bay , or a later t4) you could look at getting a syncro version !!!
or simply buy a wasswerboxer version , gas is cheap enough atm  Roll Eyes

oettinger used to tune them , and made BIG engines for them and cool add-ons .

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:48:06 am by ian c » Logged

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:38 am »

heres one in uk ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-Volkswagen-vw-crewcab-type-25-t25-black_W0QQitemZ280306500605QQihZ018QQcategoryZ9873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:25 am »

heres one you may be interested in ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=670167

(o\ ! /o)
Bugsy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 19:26:41 pm »

Yes Ivan, the Syncro is nice. Lots of developmentparts in South Africa. The hade lots of more parts for the 4wd than here in Europe what i have heard. Have a friend (Hebster52) whos brother just bought a Syncro Bus. God alround wehicle.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 21:31:37 pm »

I had a 1600 diesel Westfalia Joker, a whole 50hp for a 3 ton van Grin

60mph tops, 70 with a tailwind and downhill

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
rick m

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 01:03:20 am »

I appreciate everyone's feedback.  I like the vehicle as it is a first class restoration and classy one...at least the one I am looking at.  It sounds like the motor would be disappointing to me.  I have never had stock engines or slow VWs. So, spending $18,000 for a double cab, even though very nice, is not where I want to be price wise if the motor is a slug.  I can keep looking around until I find something with more horse power.

I appreciate everyone's input. I am simply not familiar with any of the european motor combos that came in the DOKA's.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
ian c

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 01:15:35 am »

rick
just get an aircooled version .
Wink

(o\ ! /o)
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 08:49:21 am »

A lot of people fit the 1.9 turbo diesel from a passat which seems to be a better option, $18k on a crew cab, that's big bucks we sold a 2.1 crew cab syncro for about $10k
that sort of money would get you a fully loaded late westfalia

have a look at www.brick-yard.co.uk lots of T25 information Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:53:19 am »

That's indeed a good idea. They have even less power to get you up the hill  Grin But you know how to solve that.

I have a vanagon style one, a ex-ambulance, with a 1600 type 1. Then there is of course the 2l type 4 version, plenty of horse power, but prone to being dead especially in a T3/T25 workhorse.

Downside of the airooled vanagon is that they are the early ones (80-85/86), so not too many special versions like the bluestar or LLE. They are pretty hard to find, especially if you're looking for a doka, rarer than a hens teeth, might be one of the rarest vw's. Just try finding a good one.

Given the price and quality of the car you are talking about, it could well be a tristar, the luxury doka, must be a pristine one though. Well worth the investment!

I also promissed some links, so here they are: http://www.dokadriekus.com/, http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/menu.htm, http://www.busman.be/ and http://www.vw-tristar.com/

Wünderwaffe are Go!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 21:56:24 pm »

I used to have such a aircooled (1600 type1)doka from '81.It was good for use on flat roads.I remember when we
went to the bugshow in Francorchamps and the highway was going uphill.I had to shift back to 3-gear ,we doing
60km/h.Even the trucks were faster than us!!!!!  Grin
After I sold the doka,the new owner restored it(it was a bit of a rustbox) and he put a Subaru engine in it.
It was a lot faster now.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
ian c

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 06:26:39 am »

iirc , kieth has a subaru engined one ....

was just talking with a friend today about him buying an early bay crew-cab ....
the word subaru was mentioned  Grin
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:28:16 am by ian c » Logged

(o\ ! /o)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: