The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:06:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ,DKK ,DSK ,DVB ,etc.............
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: DKP ,DKK ,DSK ,DVB ,etc.............  (Read 342359 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2007, 15:34:51 pm »

another car from dkk jim moore notchback with  2016 cc  ,48 idas , detailed fuschs , and nice inside
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2007, 15:37:42 pm »

Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2007, 18:15:41 pm »

to start the picture with the car of the der kleiner kampfwagen(dkk) the 67 from her lounger rick(dkk) before and after  Grin
rick can you say to us where you are in work of the 67  Huh
Its pushed back in the carport covered up again Come on Rick Let's get going on the Car

Well it's still in the garage and not in the carport. Unfortunately finances have taken several major hits since I pulled the car out and we still haven't recovered. I'm still looking for those hard to find pieces and pick them up when finances allow.

Unfortunately for the VW, I'm losing the storage area I have another car stored in so I have to get that car drivable before I do anything with the VW.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2007, 18:19:12 pm »

rick do you have some stories about the club & cars  Wink  i'd like those old days i never know , because i live in belgium  Roll Eyes
BR
fabs

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2007, 18:33:58 pm »

and now the squareback from bill schwimmer and is late model bill some stories with those cars  Huh

Bill had the 70 when he joined DKK. I always liked that car. I painted my notch the same color 'cuz l like it so much.

When he bought the Squarbee, it was semi-done and painted red. Unfortunately it was vandalized. That prompted Bill to redo the car as you see here.

HOW DID IT WIND UP PINK? At the time, Bill's brother worked at a body shop in Garden Grove. We stripped it down and took it there to be painted. When Bill's brother asked him what color he wanted it, Bill said "I don't know, surprise me."

Some time later, when we went to pick it up, we were surprised! I remarked that it looked like Pepto-Bismal and gave it it's nickname.

A side story... Bill and I went to the LA County Fair. We ran across one of those carny booths where they try to guess things about you. This gal offered to guess what kind of car and what color it was. So Bill stepped up. She guessed a blue Camaro and Bill told her he had a pink Squareback. She looks over at me and I said "He REALLY drives a pink squareback."  Cheesy

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2007, 18:38:50 pm »

Grin Grin pepto pink bill's  Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2007, 18:40:04 pm »

gary grauman 67  was in the dkk  ,now the car is own by greg brinton since 88

Gary started hanging out with us before he got into VWs. His brother Joey was a good friend of Tod Fuller and had a slammed Datsun(Nissan) 620 minitruck that was painted to match Tod's KG including matching Porsche Alloys. He would occasionally flat tow the KG to shows.

When he originally built it had a pretty stout turbo motor when turbo motors were still a black art.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2007, 18:50:47 pm »

there's some  today's dkp member in the old dkk club : bill  and now danny gabbard , is notchback was awesome like is lowlight when he was in dkp  Wink

Former DKKers that are/were also in DKP Greg Brinton, Dave Mason, Jose Medrano,

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2007, 18:57:37 pm »

Shocked Shocked don't know that dave & jose were in the dkk too,  which car led they???

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #249 on: December 25, 2007, 18:59:45 pm »

the brother dean were very active in the dkk, here some specimens of their cars  Cool

There were 3 Dean brothers; John, Mark and Gary. They were all active in the club but none of them were active at the same time.

John was active before I joined and had the Super.

Mark was active when I joined and had a turquoise '67 that was the epitome of late '70s cal-look minimalism/ For me personally, this may be the most influential car in the way I look at Cal-Look. I would love to do another '67 with his design ideas. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it anywhere.

Gary was the youngest anf had the red RHD Notch with polished 8 spokes.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #250 on: December 25, 2007, 19:03:39 pm »

now 2 others type 3 from the club , watch the rear door of brent's squareback this one was nicknamed THE AMBULANCE  Grin why Huh... Grin the red notch was own by jim moore and was equipped with 48 ida's

Brent's car was called the Ambulance because he had modified the rear hatch to open to the side instead of being hinged at the top.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2007, 19:07:30 pm »

now a BUG IN BEST OF SHOW   Shocked mark ramirez 68

Mark was President when I joined DKK. His car was super clean. He built it while working at Rollings Automotive. After this he got into Trucks and had several full size Chevys.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2007, 19:10:53 pm »

there's also some ghia in the dkk like the one of  henry mayeda & tod fuller

Henry had several cars while in DKK. He always had a great sense of what looked "right." This KG and his blue '67 were my favorites.

Last I heard, he was still into VWs and living in the east.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2007, 19:14:54 pm »

kevin brennan blue oval was many time prized watch the trophy on the front & also a genuine brm , old jacket club  .the club won the trophy at bug in 31(the last one) for the "MOST REPRESENTED CLUB" Cool with 40vws

This car too was an America's Most Beautiful VW winner. Later on, it was sold to someone else in the club. I can't remember his name though.

Former DKK President Dave McNew is in the lower picture

We actually won most represented club at the last 4 Bug-Ins. I have the trophy from the last one and it's one of my most prized posessions. I wound up with it because I was President at that time.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2007, 19:23:30 pm »

two other car's member , the convert with the AMR torq trust D was own by glen gaskey and glenn sold the ghia (beside) to purchase the convert, the 67 was owned by jeffrey hicken

Glen was always a blast to hang out with. He was always up for some mischief!. He had a succession of nice cars. He worked at Dave Greiner's Auto Haus/Proformance.

Jeff Hicken was one of the first members. I believe that DKK first met in his parent's garage in La Habra Heights. He too is still into VWs. He's living in New Jersey and he has maintained the www.derklienerkampfwagens.com web site. Not much there yet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 19:25:25 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2007, 19:29:09 pm »

and to close the chapter of the dkk , one late model , and the line up from the club ,hope rick that's pictures will be remind some cool stories,  to share on this topic Roll Eyes.... Grin

The late model belonged to Dan Masur. He was another one from the Montebello area.

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2007, 19:45:40 pm »

the brother dean were very active in the dkk, here some specimens of their cars  Cool

There were 3 Dean brothers; John, Mark and Gary. They were all active in the club but none of them were active at the same time.

John was active before I joined and had the Super.

Mark was active when I joined and had a turquoise '67 that was the epitome of late '70s cal-look minimalism/ For me personally, this may be the most influential car in the way I look at Cal-Look. I would love to do another '67 with his design ideas. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it anywhere.

Gary was the youngest anf had the red RHD Notch with polished 8 spokes.
  Mark Dean's 67 was absolutley STUNNING   one of the best 67's ever built,  never a magazine feature ...one of the lost treasures

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2007, 19:49:23 pm »

and to close the chapter of the dkk , one late model , and the line up from the club ,hope rick that's pictures will be remind some cool stories,  to share on this topic Roll Eyes.... Grin

From left to right

Me, Mark (Fred), Dave Smith, Dave McNew, Bob Davis, Alex Gonzales, (Can't Remember), Kevin "Lemons" Wood
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 00:31:02 am by DKK Rick » Logged

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #258 on: December 25, 2007, 19:55:44 pm »

here's the blue obsession at ebi the dvb stickers is on the windows

Any know where Jack & Bobbi are at? They were good folks.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #259 on: December 25, 2007, 22:17:15 pm »

another car from the dkk here's dave mc new  , 67 sepia brown very cool car

Dave was quite a charcter. Famous for his Davisms; "We can't force ya to have fun." "She's got a Santana condition between the ears." and others.

His '67 was very nice but never pushed a lot of motor. He always had his car for sale at some exorbitant price. He figured if he could get that much for it, he could always build another one. I was never wild about the bumpers with overriders and without guards... always looked incomplete.

Last I heard, he was in Arizona managing a drag strip.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 22:21:21 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #260 on: December 25, 2007, 22:43:41 pm »

Wink watch who's the president in the DVL is hectot bonilla Shocked

SDSK was a fun club. DKK did several events with them Jim Morgan grew up in my area (Tustin) and then started SDSK while going to school at SDSU. He had a clean blue '67 with Centerlines... pretty fast. We had one weekend cruise to Julian with them that was a weekend to remember.

Tod Fuller was in DVL before joining DKK

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #261 on: December 25, 2007, 23:37:27 pm »

i found some old cars from dkk
first lisa maxwell 53 zwitter chevrolet yellow paint and 1776cc engine with 42 weber
rick if you're reading this can you give us some info about the car 

Max's car was a '53 on a '67 pan. Before this she owned a late model... maybe a 70 or so. The bodywork was done by a place in Santa Ana that specialized in Corvettes... hence the color choice.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #262 on: December 25, 2007, 23:45:46 pm »

and now another cool karmann dan sikich 67 india red porsche , porsches wheels , 48 ida  webered 1835
this car is a pure cal look  Cool

Danny Sikich.... dang I'll have to see if I can find him. Last I talked to him was about 6 years ago. He was living in Santa Ana. He still had his car.

His car was way sweet! Later on it sported an even bigger motor 2300 built by club member Steve Wilkerson. Dan was an expert welder and he teamed up with Steve to make 2 sets of heads for their cars. Heavily modified they used Honda motorcycle spark plugs to maximize the vavle sizes and chamber designs.

This car along with my '67 and Greg Brinton's '67 are, to my knowledge, the only remaining DKK cars and oddly enough they're all '67s.

nicolas

« Reply #263 on: December 26, 2007, 10:03:29 am »

they may have been posted before, but here are some pics of 2 amazing cars and both are from DKK. the superbeetle named DUMPER and the very nice notch from Dean. they both are so nice and clean. and in a way a lot different from early callooks,but in my taste and opinion true callook cars because they live up to the callookspirit  but with a different flair. true 80's callook and a good measure of what can be done to supers and type3's.
nicolas

« Reply #264 on: December 26, 2007, 10:05:08 am »

and the notch
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #265 on: December 26, 2007, 16:30:07 pm »

another car from the dkk here's dave mc new  , 67 sepia brown very cool car

. I was never wild about the bumpers with overriders and without guards... always looked incomplete.

i agree with this rick

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #266 on: December 26, 2007, 17:18:30 pm »

This is just a VW Sport seat with the headrest cut off, but it looks cool. Probably sits pretty well too. Too bad you need those funky tripod seat mounts to make it work Sad

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2008, 04:59:54 am »

HEY BILL,REMEMBER MARK DEANS 67 WAS BOUGHT BY JON DOBSON OF ANAHEIM HILLS . HE WAS DATING A GIRL DOWN THE STREET FROM ME THATS HOW I MET HIM. I AGREE IT WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAV. 67. IT WAS MY FIRST VW I EVER DROVE AT 16!I THINK SCOTT LYLES HOW WORKED FOR VW TRENDS DID A FEATURE ON THE CAR FOR A UK MAG .GLENN RACED JON IN HIS GHIA. MAYBE SOMEONE HAS CAN FIND THE FEATURE.

BRIAN

DUH..WINNING !
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

Hey Brian. That car has been a topic of discussion here. I don't know that an article was ever done on it. It would be neat to find  though.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2008, 09:33:18 am »

HEY BILL,REMEMBER MARK DEANS 67 WAS BOUGHT BY JON DOBSON OF ANAHEIM HILLS . HE WAS DATING A GIRL DOWN THE STREET FROM ME THATS HOW I MET HIM. I AGREE IT WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAV. 67. IT WAS MY FIRST VW I EVER DROVE AT 16!I THINK SCOTT LYLES HOW WORKED FOR VW TRENDS DID A FEATURE ON THE CAR FOR A UK MAG .GLENN RACED JON IN HIS GHIA. MAYBE SOMEONE HAS CAN FIND THE FEATURE.

BRIAN
hy brian do you have a picture of the car Huh
fabs

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: