The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:59:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ,DKK ,DSK ,DVB ,etc.............
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: DKP ,DKK ,DSK ,DVB ,etc.............  (Read 342880 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2008, 05:30:40 am »

hy glenn can you talk about your car Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2008, 06:14:01 am »

The ghia was a 69, one of 2 cars (VWs) at the time painted Porsche Rasberry not pink. "Dumper" was the other one (Deans super beatle). Bill's brother painted it for me after it got sideswiped on the road (He told me to come look at the color he picked out and rasberry was what I got). Wheels were 2.0 L alloys motor was a 2000 cc + (I don't remember the exact size) 48 IDAs, Kawell heads, C.R. gearbox by Don Strong. I had the Britax ragtop installed (if I remember correctly, thats where Mason got the bright idea for his.) The interior was pretty neat. Aluminum door panels that were painted the same color as the outside, black carpet and Corbeau seats. The inside seemed huge with all the color and the sunroof. This car was pretty fast for its time, especially for a full interior ghia. I sold it and put the motor and trans into the red '60 convertable. At first it appeared with stock wheels, big motor C.R. gearbox, stock interior with a big ass monster tach up under the dash. Later I had the Americans and then later Porsche alloys. Both of these cars got me familiar with Orange Counties finest (I don't mean women) lawkeepers. The plates on the ghia and vert said YER NEXT. Ironically I traded the vert for another ghia. THATS another story. Glenn (I'm still trying to get these god&@#% pictures scanned in)

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2008, 02:11:17 am »

wow cool pictures some of them where before i started  drinking.  thanks for posting some of the dkk pictures. how about whittier blvd. for a topic, really bring back some old storys

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2008, 18:58:37 pm »

Rick, the first guy in the pic that you cant remember is Bob Davis.  I recruited him from my high school in Brea.  Great looking green 65 Rag top with polished centerlines.  After one of our car rallies we went behind the Nabisco building in Buena park and did our make shift drag strip late night fun.  On one of the many races that particular night Bob and I ran straight up.  I was pulling past him at 85 near the end at the railroad tracks and I look over at him to smile a winning smirk and and his car goes completely sideways!  Hes sliding sideways at 85+  Holy Sh*t!  He nips the railroad tracks embedded into the street and it whips him in a 360 and he winds up facing backwards.  Funny thing was,  the entire time he stayed in his own lane and never came close to me or anything else.  Boy were his eyes poking out of his head.... wow.

Another story from that night (if you dont mind)  Gary Berg was in his 12 sec blue street car with the first 5 speed anyone I knew had ever seen.  Gary is going to race this trailered Manx.  They are at the make shift starting line (again, behind Nabisco) and the Cops show up.  So Gene Berg sits in the passenger seat in Gary's car and basically waits for whats next.  Now, one of the cops was truly amazed at these presumably fast VW's.  Standing right next to the car the cop says to Gary with kind of a wink... "get this car outta here as fast as you can Mister"  Gene looks to Gary and nods, then Gary hits the gas, releases the line lock, the front end of the car shoots striaght up about 3 feet vertical, he spins the tires going into second gear, side swipes the clutch into third with some solid rubber noise, then into 4th and FINALLY, 5th gear!  He's looooong gone.... The Cop turns to us and says "FIVE?"  Yep, five gears man.  He's blown away and breathing hard, obviously not what he had expected.  He then threw his arms in the air and told everyione to "leave slowly!"  No arrests, no drama.  What a great night.
Scott "Worm" Blaydes
DKK 1977-about 82  [

quote author=DKK Rick link=topic=2322.msg47860#msg47860 date=1198608563]
and to close the chapter of the dkk , one late model , and the line up from the club ,hope rick that's pictures will be remind some cool stories,  to share on this topic Roll Eyes.... Grin

From left to right

Me, Mark (Fred), Dave Smith, Dave McNew, (Can't Remember), Alex Gonzales, (Can't Remember), Kevin Lemmons
[/quote]

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2008, 22:28:45 pm »

That's it! Thanks Worm!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2008, 23:01:13 pm »

wow cool pictures some of them where before i started  drinking...

Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2008, 18:41:38 pm »

rick i found another dkk car it's steve wilkerson 58 sano the ar had a 1835 cc with 44 weber
scott more memeories Huh..... Wink
why they put reverse lights instead of lucas have Huh is that  the new style at that aera Huh
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 18:44:30 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2008, 18:45:15 pm »

Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2008, 20:52:43 pm »

Steve was another long time member. Used to have a really Bad KG. He always had the fastest cars in the club. He's the one that came up with the idea of the single turbo muffler mounted under the car for more ground clearance and performance. I still have one of these muffler systems and plan on either running it or a similar system when/if I ever get my '67 back together.

If I remember, he bought the '58 pretty much done and just built a motor for it. The reverse lights for turn signals was just another idea for getting the lights off of the top of the fenders. Several cars ran them.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2008, 21:46:08 pm »

here's some picture of the red 67 of shubee  who was in the der selten kafer klub 

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2008, 21:49:58 pm »

Cool very late 70's period upholstery Shocked

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2008, 02:26:37 am »

Cool very late 70's period upholstery Shocked
Thanks Fabian  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:31:46 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2008, 16:33:42 pm »

wow! it's cool to see more pics of your 67 gary!  Smiley
where did you find those photos fabs? do you have better quality ones as well?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #283 on: January 16, 2008, 17:48:53 pm »

better now gary  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2008, 17:50:36 pm »

wow! it's cool to see more pics of your 67 gary!  Smiley
where did you find those photos fabs? do you have better quality ones as well?
that's gary who sent to me  ; but no better resolution  Cry

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2008, 20:42:40 pm »

here's some new picture who was sent to me by scott an old member of the dkk
thx scott
nice dkk car

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2008, 21:23:22 pm »

Sweet late model! This is how it should be done for a late model looker. IMHO  Yellow is an under used color on Cal-looks. I have always thought the yellow they use on Saturns would look good on a VW.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2008, 21:37:27 pm »

i don't know if this car was into dkk , the stickers look like an dsk  one  Shocked shubee what do you think Huh you know that car Huh

Jim Ratto

« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2008, 21:47:59 pm »

didn't Roger Crawford or one of his guys run that car around OC chasing Gary Berg?
I think there's a pic of that car getting the wheels up in Heads Up showroom.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2008, 22:24:52 pm »

didn't Roger Crawford or one of his guys run that car around OC chasing Gary Berg?
I think there's a pic of that car getting the wheels up in Heads Up showroom.
wich one jim??? the yellow one ??

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2008, 23:49:48 pm »

Mmh i like that yellow late!  Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2008, 01:17:12 am »

Mmh i like that yellow late!  Grin

Hmmmmmmmmm me too dude  Smiley My friend Gav G77 had a late model Texas yellow 1300 for his first car and I have always had a soft spot for "piss yellow" Volkswagens  Wink Smiley

I have even been toying with Yellow for PROJECT 66  Shocked Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:21:19 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2008, 02:16:42 am »

If my memory is not too faded, I think the yellow late model was Vaughn Rollings. Mark Ramirez and Kevin Brennan worked there and built their America's Most Beautiful VW winning cars there.

The Black Ghia I don't recognize and the other shot was part of a club display at Bug-In... I'm guessing around 80-81 or so.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2008, 03:07:04 am »

Never thought I'd say it.... but it looks good without grilles!!  Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:01 am »

i don't know if this car was into dkk , the stickers look like an dsk  one  Shocked shubee what do you think Huh you know that car Huh
That Yellow Late Model car was in DZK it was Vaughn Rollings Car  he Was Part Owner of Rollings Automotive in Fullerton a VW Repair Shop One of Our are DSK Members Bruce Frye (he Owned an Aqua 61 RagTop with Alloys) worked for Vaughn and his Brother back in the early 80's They still have there VW Dragster hangiing in from the roof in the Shop from when they raceed in the 80's 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 16:24:15 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Neil Davies

« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2008, 16:48:43 pm »

That Yellow Late Model car was in DZK it was Vaughn Rollings Car  he Was Part Owner of Rollings Automotive in Fullerton a VW Repair Shop One of Our are DSK Members Bruce Frye (he Owned an Aqua 61 RagTop with Alloys) worked for Vaughn and his Brother back in the early 80's They still have there VW Dragster hangiing in from the roof in the Shop from when they raceed in the 80's 

I've got the Hot VWs with the feature on the dragster - mad Vanagon auto box with reduction boxes to make it work mid-mounted! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2008, 01:01:32 am »

I am pretty sure the dragster went to Japan some time back. Rollings Automotive is still there, its a few blocks from my house, but Vaughn does'nt own it anymore, I called up asking for him a few years back & they said he had sold  the business.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2008, 19:51:32 pm »

hey bill ,von has a shop next to my old shop, about 4 or 5 doors down. building buggys of sand

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2008, 19:55:47 pm »

hey bill ,von has a shop next to my old shop, about 4 or 5 doors down. building buggys of sand

Really? does he still have his car?

Stephan S

« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2008, 20:47:29 pm »

Mark Dean's 67 was absolutley STUNNING   one of the best 67's ever built,  never a magazine feature ...one of the lost treasures

I need help!!!
I have a great picture of Mark's '67 - yes, an AWESOME car. The thing is... It covers a full spread in a French magazine from the very early '80s. The picture is too big to be scanned on my small scanner. I scanned the left page, then the right page (2 JPG pictures). I tried to merge them with Photoshop, but I don't know the program well enough to do it!

Could somebody help? I'd be glad to email both JPG pictures.
Thanks!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: