The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 00:01:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  The second Air Cooled Drag Day, Ireland.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The second Air Cooled Drag Day, Ireland.  (Read 2055 times)
benlawrence

« on: July 21, 2014, 22:35:48 pm »

I'm pleased to announce that after the success of last year, we are going again in 2014.

A few things to mention (probably as last year)  we are in our infancy with drag racing here, so you wont see full blown 10 sec cars let alone 8's!!!!!

We are about as grass roots as it gets, the event is run on an old airfield (Bishopscourt) near the shores of Strangford Loch.

Up until we held the first event last year, there had never been a dedicated aircooled event, and at that time, myself and a good friend were the only two volksagens actively competing in import drags and the like, our cars in 3 years have gone from 14 second bracket down to low 12's, and with any luck an 11 may come from someone this year.

The field is big, 55 vehicles, 4 classes, we are FULL, which i am over the moon with.

The classes range from bugs up to 1641cc, vans (open cc/engines) bugs up to 2000cc and modified aircooled above 2000cc, We have invited an extremely limited number of watercoolers, this keeps the numbers up and the costs down for those who race, currently the field is around 90% aircooled.

I am also happy to say we have some fantastic friends in the uk who are supporting us, Bernard Newbury is supplying another trophy this year and Matt Keene from Airkraft has made a wonderful trophy for us to give to the quickest aircooled vw of the event. Along side them, VW Heritage, Vwspares.ie and Ultra VW are all helping out with various prizes and support, to which i really am truly grateful.

We are a small Island, with a big static scene, but it would seem the the bug has well and truly bitten, as seasoned racers most of you wont be impressed with the numbers on the board, but i can tell you, you would be impressed with the way Ireland, North and South is embracing drag racing where so many of you started all those years ago.

One guy (John Kelly) went out with an old beetle cup car last year, it had a 1641cc engine and he won his class he had never been drag racing, he is a seasoned professional rallycross driver and competes in the Irish championship with his highly modified Evo 8.

What happened next, well ill let the pictures do the talking.

Chris bugster

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 21:22:12 pm »

That's a nice car-used to be mine. Looks like she enjoys travelling.  First England, then Poland,  then Belgium and now Ireland. Nice car to drive- have fun.

11.2@124mph
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: