The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:41:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Engine diapers/trays Oil downs and solutions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Engine diapers/trays Oil downs and solutions  (Read 21318 times)
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

Here's a link to FTD for anyone interested

http://www.fasttimedesign.com/

cheers Richie

They are nice if you have a race engine and do not want to spend time making a tray.

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 13:45:49 pm »

Do they heat soak the bottoms of cylinders/heads even more?

A race engine without cooling would need all the air they can get I would assume?

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
spanners

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 21:24:33 pm »

Anything with the  'balistick' tag will cost ya! , Bonding is so overlooked and underestimated, I do most stuff I used to spend hours drilling, bolting, welding, For those that can't weld it's a huge plus, oil cooler ducting, foot plates, all maner of brackets, i started repairing broken stuff 'in the field' with it, then found it stood up better than the original, fibre glass wing repar patches etc are on for good, I would bond that above type of catch tray at the corner folds, even the mountings, you won't shift or break them, do a test piece if you need convincing,  tiger seal is a good one, you just need positive holding tools while stuff cures, I have dozens of wee spring clamps from the 99p shops, even clothes pegs work for small stuff, the only downer is getting parts in the right position straight off, you won't move stuff after it's cured, also it's really only a one shot tube I find, I've found no way to stop a part used tube cooking, tho I'm looking out for an old lab vac vessel  to store them in, that's probably the answer!
As for affecting handling, they won't be helping that's for sure, there must be a drag increase with the induced underside vortexes, at the terminal speeds you guys reach, some effort to air flow the trays would see some gains, metal or plastic leading/trailing edge fairing needed! Imagine it in yer hands at 50 mph, bad eh? Now emagine hanging on to it at 150 ? Just a thought, but Can't hurt..

Best regards, spanners.
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 23:43:08 pm »

Good thought on the aero, maybe if the front of the tray was more akin to a well sump guard it may help?

My own setup limits me to having a couple of trays under the heads that covers the rocker covers/push rod tube area. Try as I might to eliminate a weep from the push rod tubes there always seems to be at least one when is cold but goes when hot! Anyway, my thoughts are I'd rather not risk having one drop cost me a chance of a run or costing someone else theirs!
richie

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 07:23:56 am »

I guess  you could bond it together, having used tigerseal to hold interior panels on I know they can be pulled off so it could come apart with enough air pressure or maybe even the weight of lots of oil and that would be the worse time, something like the 3m bonding stuff would be good enough
It needs a decent lip all round to keep any oil in, if you have a bad leak and the sides aren't high enough it will still leak everywhere but anything is better than nothing to catch the drips, but they don't usually close the track for hours Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

Rich if you put a pic up of your set up maybe we can help with an idea of how to cover the whole engine

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 11:05:45 am »

Great info, thanks for sharing Richie.

richie

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:11 pm »

Great info, thanks for sharing Richie.

No problem Jamie,

as we haven't found a way to sort the weather out yet we need to make the most of what track time we do get Wink

cheers Richie

dannyboy

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 13:14:33 pm »

there could be a nice little earner in these i reckon you should make a couple up and sell them ,see how they go. the absorbant pads are the hardest thing to get in uk from what i can see someone at the track told me they use litter pads from a pet shop ? not sure how fireproof they are though  Shocked

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
richie

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 19:00:43 pm »

there could be a nice little earner in these i reckon you should make a couple up and sell them ,see how they go. the absorbant pads are the hardest thing to get in uk from what i can see someone at the track told me they use litter pads from a pet shop ? not sure how fireproof they are though  Shocked

I have a stock of the correct material so that wouldn't be a problem, I just need the tracks to start charging those that oil it down Shocked and then sell them easily Grin Cheesy

cheers Richie

dannyboy

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 20:04:13 pm »

pm me a price for enough pads to make up a tray if you got spare as my trays are not going back on this season im going to rip off your design  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
richie

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:16 am »

Good to see pics appearing of containment devices being made and fitted, I have seen a few different designs made now and they all look good Cool

cheers Richie

Udo

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »

It doesn't need to be complicated, this goes from valve cover to valve cover, and from pulley to flywheel, has a 2inch lip all round as is required in some USA race classes, and is lined with fire resistant absorbant material to catch any mishaps!!!!

cheers Richie

But your's does not work with wheeliebars :-(

Udo

richie

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 13:29:42 pm »

I made one for Bernie that he designed to work round wheelie bars and the chute mount so it can be done Smiley, maybe he can put a picture up here to show it?

cheers Richie

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 16:10:19 pm »

I made one for Bernie that he designed to work round wheelie bars and the chute mount so it can be done Smiley, maybe he can put a picture up here to show it?

cheers Richie

There's a few on Facebook of Bernies tray, I'll see if I can repost them here

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Rocket Ron

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 16:20:14 pm »

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 17:06:18 pm »

Here is one I made for my Ghia, goes all the way to the nose cone on the gear box

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
dannyboy

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 19:28:26 pm »

Here is one I made for my Ghia, goes all the way to the nose cone on the gear box
this is pretty much the same as the tray i made yesterday

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 21:59:22 pm »

cheers Richie

There's a few on Facebook of Bernies tray, I'll see if I can repost them here
Thanks Ron. It proberly would not pass the American spec. but as Ritchie said anything is better then nothing.

Before you jump, check the depth.
Rocket Ron

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 22:05:28 pm »

No problem

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

dannyboy

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 22:29:18 pm »

its funny how bernies looks shit hot and mine looks like its been built by a carpenter with a bit of 4x2 and a claw hammer  Cheesy Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:39 am »

Another interesting thing I have noticed is, even if you don`t have a major oil leak and engine/gear box looks clean, after running with the tray for a while there are quite a few drops of oil in that tray anyway! And then you multiply this by the number of race cars going down the track....
As Kalle wrote, tray/diaper should be mandatory on all race cars, and even if its not, as a racer you should take responsibility and put one on

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Happychappy

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 20:34:24 pm »

Here is mine .....

Just need to get the tray lining to finish it off.
richie

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 20:54:16 pm »

Here is mine .....

Just need to get the tray lining to finish it off.

Looks good Paul, I got some liner for you, hopefully will leave it with Jim or Trevor in the next couple of weeks

cheers Richie

Happychappy

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 21:38:49 pm »

That would be great cheers Richie  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: