The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:58:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  LA etc trip
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LA etc trip  (Read 5885 times)
RichardinNZ

« on: August 27, 2014, 22:14:35 pm »

After what has already been a hard year (redundancy and starting my own business) we are planning a trip to LA/Disney and then a road trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon etc. This will have to be in early January, which is when our schools are closed for the summer and New Zealand pretty much stops for a few weeks.    So far we've not got beyond planning 3 days at Disney....

Does anyone have an itinerary and route that has worked well for a family trip?  Where else should be head to?

Does anyone know whether there will be a 2015 Cruise into the New Year that I should try to fit our dates around?!

Many thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
jick

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 16:10:57 pm »

If, like many of us, you have an interest in Hotrods & customs too, then you should definitely go to the Grand National Roadster show in Pomona, January 23rd- 25 in 2015...( if it's not too late in January for you?) .. It's an incredible ( and vast!) show.... We have a pretty good scene here in the UK, but nothing prepared me for what I saw there....the quality and variety of cars & build styles on show was mind blowing....
It's on the same site as the Wally Parks NHRA museum too!

Jick

richie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 19:12:02 pm »

Pomona swap meet is always a good one, more like a car show than swap meet, its 18th January, I like a day or so up in the mountains above LA, usually enough snow for some fun, and you can leave the mountains and be at the beach in about 2 1/2 hours which is always sureal
How long is your trip? how tolerant are the family of car related stuff?  Grin

cheers Richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
mg

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 22:29:35 pm »

some tips to avoid the lines at the Tragic Kingdom or Dismal land as it was called when I worked there.  Smiley
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/28/news/la-trb-disneyland-in-a-day-02201228
RichardinNZ

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 22:48:42 pm »

Thanks for the information everyone.  I need to confirm the dates (not sure what day school starts back) and then start planning.  With three daughters there is a limit to car related stuff!   But I'll start to put an itinerary together.  Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Fiatdude

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:39:54 am »

All cars all the time LOL

http://socalcarculture.com/events.html

Every Thursday night racing at Irwindale Too

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
RichardinNZ

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:22:05 am »

Thanks for this.  Sorry for the delay I've had the flu and now head down catching up with work!

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
draven898

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:45:44 am »

just a heads up the grand canyon is pretty cold that time of year you might want to check out the us parks web site and see what sections are open. as far as disneyland, 3 days is enough to tackle both parks one a day then decide which attractions you want to hit on the 3rd day at that point you should have a good idea on how to get around for more disneyland info try the app called "mousewait"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:48:02 am by draven898 » Logged

follow my instagram thecallook
draven898

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:50:07 am »

some tips to avoid the lines at the Tragic Kingdom or Dismal land as it was called when I worked there.  Smiley
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/28/news/la-trb-disneyland-in-a-day-02201228
that article is out of date once you have a fast pass you have to wait i think an hour to get another pass the only pass not connected is world of color

mg

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 13:26:54 pm »

that article is out of date once you have a fast pass you have to wait i think an hour to get another pass the only pass not connected is world of color
[/quote]

Perhaps some of these tips are still relevant?
http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cadisneyland/a/lines.htm
Jos

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 03:44:38 am »

If you're able to visit any of the national parks I would recommend it. Yellowstone and Sequoia are two you do t want to miss. (I've always wanted to visit them myself)
draven898

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 06:00:27 am »

Perhaps some of these tips are still relevant?
http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cadisneyland/a/lines.htm
[/quote]
those are better and in january the crowds are a little lighter with the cool weather and holidays over

RichardinNZ

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 21:13:39 pm »

Finally got the main details sorted...dates, who is looking after 5 Guinea Pigs for us etc so now time to plan the itinerary!

I'll look through all of the links...thanks everyone.
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
RichardinNZ

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 22:03:15 pm »

Unfortunately the time we can spend away from home has shrunk and our list of places to visit has grown, so there is going to be little time for Vws on this holiday! 

However I still plan to visit Bergs and also catch up with Bill S who I met when we stopped over at Disney when we moved from England to New Zealand in 2007.  We will also get to see Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon and San Diego so really looking forward to the trip.
Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: