The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:38:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The age old question "new or old". Oil sumps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The age old question "new or old". Oil sumps  (Read 5308 times)
smurf67

« on: August 31, 2014, 19:49:08 pm »

Just wanted people's opinions on using a vintage race trim item over say a new cb performance item? With maximum reliability in mind am I just asking for trouble?? Cheers Alex
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 20:00:23 pm »

When it comes to sumps I prefer a Berg. The older sumps work but are a bit thinner, not strong enough IMO.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 20:17:27 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
smurf67

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 20:19:58 pm »

Hi Zach thanks for the reply that's the kind of info was after cheers....
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:40 am »

Run the Race Trim sump... just be sure to seal well and you will be happy//ran mine for 10 years on 2 engines with no problems...Enjoy..!!
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:43:29 am »

Like Dyno Don mentioned on his post above I never had any issues with the Race Trim sump I had good luck with them.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
pupjoint

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:59:12 am »

Berg is good, but they are heavy and ground clearance is low, not an issue with stock height cars.

CB is ok but i dont like their big bottom plate.

Scat is slim, gives max ground clerance and is what i like most.
smurf67

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:25 am »

Thank you all for your comments I think I will give the race trim sump ago cheers Alex
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 15:39:22 pm »

i will put one on the future project engine , and i've have an old empi one on my 61 empi/speedwell engine and never have any issue with that one

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 17:59:15 pm »

Most all old school sumps have leaked over the years due to faulty installation, improper sealing preparation, bad casting, or from jacking the car up from the sump area which will often crack the sump, ... most of the sumps offered on the market today with internal stiffeners will help prevent that but I have still noticed some "New" poor quality leakers..!  Painting or Powder coating the exterior will ensure a better sealed surface and will not sacrifice any cooling// Im sure this subject is an old horse to many but perhaps not..?     ;-)... (wink)
smurf67

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 21:57:23 pm »

Most all old school sumps have leaked over the years due to faulty installation, improper sealing preparation, bad casting, or from jacking the car up from the sump area which will often crack the sump, ... most of the sumps offered on the market today with internal stiffeners will help prevent that but I have still noticed some "New" poor quality leakers..!  Painting or Powder coating the exterior will ensure a better sealed surface and will not sacrifice any cooling// Im sure this subject is an old horse to many but perhaps not..?     ;-)... (wink)

Hi Don luckily my race trim sump has a nice clean seal area. Is just a standard sump gasket sufficient between the case and sump if torqued up correctly? I'd rather avoid sealant if possible. Cheers Alex
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 15:25:52 pm »

You might be "Lucky" enough for it not to leak but I would suggest some sealer even if a "skim coat" to ensure a proper seal as it will expand with heat and the possibility of hot liquid oil trying to sneak out. Dont be afraid of using sealer if you use common sense and use a small amount and finger rub around both the mating surfaces, you wont have to worry about any contaminants getting into the oil. Good Luck and enjoy your sump..!!   D.D.
NoBars

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 15:42:37 pm »

I just use case sealer anymore, no gasket. It seems to me the paper gasket allows a little oil to wick out

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
smurf67

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 22:26:41 pm »

Thanks all for the advice... Alex
SlingShot

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:51:25 am »

No sumps. Dry Sump system solves your problems  Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
stoneloco808

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 03:10:43 am »

Like mentioned, I prefer the Berg sumps.  I had those Race Trim and similar styles back form the day.  I never had much luck with those.  One of the reasons why all my engines have Berg sumps.
cedric

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:47 am »

Race trim sump!thx dyno..... Grin
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 15:55:53 pm »

Cedric, Im having separation anxiety after 40 years of sump ownership/LOL...   Please post a pic or two of the old relic...  Peace out, Dyno Don
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: