The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 23:44:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  1914cc engine spec help please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1914cc engine spec help please  (Read 3528 times)
glassback kid

« on: September 23, 2014, 18:39:08 pm »

Hi every one I have been lurking around this site for some time but after the sale of my 65 cab bug and the purchase of a tatty 67 bug  I feel the need to put an engine together for the bug. Last decent motor in a bug i had was a JMR 1776 110cam standard heads. Although I have been into bugs for over 20 years I have built numerous bugs, type3 and Porsche 914's  this will be my first full engine build I have taken on.
 The bug is not a daily driver just used for fun hope to get it down the strip a few times but i know that gets addictive Smiley it does also have to be drivable, at the moment it will be with a stock gearbox (think 1500 box) and full interior.
i have been looking through engine specs and am just getting myself confused with all different combinations, Mate built a 1914 with fk10 cam,044 heads port and polished 1.25 rockers it went really well  but he hiked the compression up to high and it just used to get to hot.

so i currently have
as41 case drilled and tapped
69mm 8 dowelled crank
stock rods
scat lifters
deep sump

basic Spec i am thinking ;
69mm crank
94mm b&P
stock balanced rods am i best upgrade to I beams ?
CB 044 super mag round ports unsure what valve size 42 x37 or 40 x 35.5 whatever would suit the motor best ?
cam thinking scat C45 ?
 1.25.1 rockers or stay stock 1.1.1?
lightened flywheel
44idf carbs with jets etc to suit

would the above work out ok ? are the heads to big?

sorry if all this sounds a bit basic but just don't want to build something that is not right
regards
dave
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 19:11:44 pm »

Sounds similar to the engine I built for a friends car. I used a 120 cam with 1.25's, 40x35.5 ported heads, 1 1/2" exhaust and 48's. Very strong engine overall. Pulled to 7k rpm. Stock rebuilt and balanced rods are more than up for the job. I would not go with 42x37.5 on your engine, 40x35.5 is plenty and they suit the 44's better. The C45 works best with 1.25 rockers, but if you haven't bought a cam/rockers yet consider using a 1.4:1 grind as you can make more power and it will be easier on the valve train (and it's the same price as 1.25's). If you want to save a little money and sacrifice some power, a stock ratio 1.1 grind cam will be ok.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:24:04 am »

I liked my 1914 with FK-8 and 40x35.5 ported heads.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
glassback kid

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 18:10:17 pm »

thanks for the replies , I originally looked at the scat cam as I already had some scat lifters and figured they work better together however after doing abit more digging i have read a lot of bad press about scat lifters pitting and premature wear,  so i am leaning more towards  Engle FK 8 cam  with 1.4.1 rockers, still unsure about lifters cant afford udo's  so do i go for Engle lifters, CB lifters ??
definitely going 044 round ports in 40 x 35.5 with dual springs
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:40:45 am »

I've had good luck with Webcam cam and lifters so far (knock on wood) with several thousand miles on my 2332 and BIG lift. http://youtu.be/xX3iaHUI-SA?list=UUQM6yUWtw-pjn_dmwhXhP2g  Cool

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 18:29:10 pm »

thanks for the replies , I originally looked at the scat cam as I already had some scat lifters and figured they work better together however after doing abit more digging i have read a lot of bad press about scat lifters pitting and premature wear,  so i am leaning more towards  Engle FK 8 cam  with 1.4.1 rockers, still unsure about lifters cant afford udo's  so do i go for Engle lifters, CB lifters ??
definitely going 044 round ports in 40 x 35.5 with dual springs

a scat cam and scat lifters will work together. i use scat lifters with and engle cam and they don't give any issues. the ones i use are not the lube a lobe ones.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:28 am »

Hello.
While a 42/37,5 valve combo can yield more top end power, it is not my favourite valve combo in a relatively small engine like the 1914. Reason is that the lower end torque suffers unless you use split cams or at the very least split lift. The exhaust side is simply too efficient. You can also very soon run into lower rpm stumble because of that. It is better to get a good set of heads with 40/35 mm valves. I hope CB come up with an alternative to the Panchito´s soon, as they were really good heads for the money. Otherwise you may consider Tims stage I.
The Scat C45 cam is very good IMHO. I like to run it with 1,25 rockers. Then it can deliver a very nice and wide powerband. It may not peak as high as an Engle equivallent, but the overall power (APB) is equal or better. The W125 cam is a bit overlooked, but I have had good luck with that one, actually generally better than both the w120 and the w130 in general.
If you consider a high ratio cam the FK8 would be a good choice.
Quality rebuilt stock rods will be fine.
Use CB lightweight lifters or SLR reground. That is the safest bet, along with a decent shot of ZDDP during break in.

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: