The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 18:17:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Which gauges to fit to a street car
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which gauges to fit to a street car  (Read 3920 times)
chez2165

« on: October 09, 2014, 20:23:30 pm »

Which gauges would I need to fit to a street car, was thinking oil temp and oil pressure would this be ok or should I be looking at other gauges on top of these 2.
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 21:06:11 pm »

You might think of getting a wideband O2 gauge. I have the PLX one and it's been invaluable for tuning. Can't imagine doing without it. And after the tuning is over (yeah right) it gives you an indication of the engine's health letting you see how stable the mixtures are at different rpms. If anything goes wrong like dirt in the fuel system or bad fuel, it will show up in the mixtures. I haven't seen a wideband gauge that fits in with the vintage VDO style look tho. http://www.plxdevices.com/

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
andy198712

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 17:56:37 pm »

You might think of getting a wideband O2 gauge. I have the PLX one and it's been invaluable for tuning. Can't imagine doing without it. And after the tuning is over (yeah right) it gives you an indication of the engine's health letting you see how stable the mixtures are at different rpms. If anything goes wrong like dirt in the fuel system or bad fuel, it will show up in the mixtures. I haven't seen a wideband gauge that fits in with the vintage VDO style look tho. http://www.plxdevices.com/

i was thinking of hiding my wideband gauge in the glove box...

considered CHT also?
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 18:18:26 pm »

I have the PLX wideband gage and really like it.  The cool thing is that it is both analog and digital.  it has an array of l.e.d. s around the OD and a digital display in the middle.  I thought it to be the best of both worlds.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 00:23:04 am »

Which gauges would I need to fit to a street car, was thinking oil temp and oil pressure would this be ok or should I be looking at other gauges on top of these 2.

I'm fitting these 2 gauges, and also finding room for a CHT.

I use a vacuum gauge for tuning and checks, and possibly a wide-band, but these are temporary at tune-up time.
stoneloco808

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 20:13:13 pm »

I like to have the usual, speedo, tach, oil pressure, oil temp, fuel level, and a cylinder head temp.  But for the cylinder head temp, I have installed a sensor on each cylinder head and a seperate switch to toggle between the 2 cylinder heads.  I also keep a wideband in the glove box as well.
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 20:04:50 pm »

nothing more then what VW intended…
but you probably would like to install one or more, in this case the priority would be for me, oil pressure (get to read that one for your car as they vary if they are electric), tach, boost (in a callooker? oops), oil temp,… right up to working hours meter.
dive!dive!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 21:35:19 pm »

VDO
oil pressure
oil temp
cht
battery volts
80mm tacho
all in the place where the grills were either side of the speedo

and a PLX in the glovebox for the wideband...maybe soon to have 4 channel EGT as well...
Martin S.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 23:28:32 pm »

I don't see my Cyl Head Temp gauge moving much at all. It's pretty boring to have on the dash and I would much rather have a wideband instead of it, if I had to choose. My guess is if your heads run cool to start they will always run cool and a gauge is really only needed on an engine where the heads run hot. With all the work that Steve put into the chambers on my heads, it paid off, as he said, 'everything going in is burning', which makes them run cool. Cheesy

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:45:55 am »

AutoMeter

Oil pressure
Oil Temp
Volt Meter
10,000  Tach.

is what I run. Gages in glove box in a pod, nice and clean, Tach is on dash.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
typ34vienna

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 13:31:30 pm »

Oil pressure
Oil temp
Head temp
all VDO and fitted with Fast Fab gauge mount
Autometer monster tach fitted near rearview mirror
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »