The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:25:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  THANKSGIVING FIND
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: THANKSGIVING FIND  (Read 2800 times)
johnl

« on: November 27, 2014, 21:08:22 pm »

It has been a while since I've posted here but feel this is worth sharing.  Today when I got up I thought back 50 years, yes a half a century ago and remembered my friend Ron Munoz and the trip we took.  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,19706.0.html

Well, as fate would have it Ron phoned and will be stopping by tomorrow for a visit.  I haven't seen him in over a year and looking forward to it.  He was excited as this will be the first time he has met Christie.

With those thoughts and our latest VW project coming to an end (are they ever really done?) I wondered upstairs in my garage and started digging through boxes marked "VW PARTS".  What I'm looking for is a rear deck lid handle from our black '63 that was replaced with a locking version 33 years ago.  Still haven't located it yet but I will.

Buried in one of the boxes was a primo Bosch 010 dizzy that came from my original car (Butternut).  It lived through the 40HP, then to the 1700 Ron Fleming motor.  When I built the 78.4 Okrasa x 88 motor it was replaced with a Joe Hunt Vertex Mag.  It has been resting for 40 years but my plan is to replace the new 009 in the motor (2276) that Greg Brinton is bringing back to life.

So I guess it is a day to give thanks................  Now, what other treasures will I locate??   Wink

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 21:28:11 pm »

Found the handle and it cleaned up very nice.  Nothing like original German parts...

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
andy198712

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 21:29:52 pm »

i love using old parts, something nice about taking something thats seen some life and giving it a new lease of life!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 22:40:40 pm »

Glad to hear from you John.....

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  Smiley

Hope you'll be visiting/posting a little more often, Your posts & pictures are what make this forum!

You got any "Bus" pictures from back in the day Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 06:10:05 am »

Great find John... love going through my old boxes of VW parts. Amazed at what I find that I still have.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fritter

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:13:35 am »

Nice find John!  What's going on with your "new" tan car?

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 16:36:13 pm »

Nice find John!  What's going on with your "new" tan car?

Actually, the list is very looooooooooooooooong...  Typical deal, you buy a used car and you buy someone else's problems.  There were numerous things on this car that were not to my liking but most of all there was a MAJOR engine running problem.

I don't have the time nor the ability anymore to deal with much of this (I think that is called becoming a senior).  At the same time I was deep into getting Schley's mom's BMW Bavaria back on the road.  This too turned into a much larger project but I'm happy to report that it is now pretty much complete including a swap of the trans from the Auto to a 5 speed.  We've been driving and loving it.

So, I talked with Greg Brinton about where I felt the car needed to go and he said okay.  Unfortunately many more things kept popping up and Greg never gave up.  I've been making regular visits to his shop and we joke about the fact he has put more miles on it than we have.  His work and attention to detail are absolutely the BEST.  We are suppose to get it back this coming week just in time for the DKP Christmas Cruise.  So Christie's gift of her own Cal-look ride comes a bit later than we anticipated but none the less she will have it to enjoy.............

Christie and I laugh about the fact that we can drive in with the roof open even if it is raining.............
Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: