The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:20:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Jim Gaye?? 1970's/1980's VW drag car owner/driver in California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jim Gaye?? 1970's/1980's VW drag car owner/driver in California  (Read 24581 times)
jick

« on: November 30, 2014, 11:48:33 am »

so.....one of my BRM's supposedly came from an old 70's drag car....the name of which has been forgotten.

The owner/driver of the car was Jim Gaye, the wheels were sold off and apparently the car is now in a collection in Japan, so immediately I thought of Akira's Bee-haus....I've had a check through of the various magazine and internet threads about that collection but cant find any mention of Jim Gaye.

does anyone remember this guy and his car??.....I'd obviously love to find out a little more!

many thanks....Jick

JS

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 13:32:14 pm »

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-03-09/business/fi-36324_1_junkyard-dog

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?topic=1349.4785;wap2

http://www.yelp.no/biz/wrecks-west-auto-dismantlers-santa-ana

Could this be anything?

Signature.
jick

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 14:44:38 pm »

Damn JS..... That's fantastic, that's my Wheel alright, Restojohnny sold it to Corey Bloom, who sold it to me.

Welded by  Ron Fleming eh?  Well I suppose that'll do..... Haha!

Any of you California guys remember anything about his car??

Jim Gaye from Wrecks-West Auto Dismantlers Santa-Ana?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 15:13:42 pm by jick » Logged

MC Dyno Don

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 18:50:04 pm »

Jim was a member of DRF of Anaheim and had some nice machines. The last of them was a cool chop top ghia that I sold to Akira from Bee Haus. The engine was a screamer but was badly fatigued from too much compression and was cracked from the 3 cylinder and leaked rather badly. He owns a junk yard in santa Ana after working there for many years and was fortunate enough to eventually own it from hitting it rich a long time ago by winning the lotto.
jick

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:59 am »

Great stuff there Don!  Many thanks...

If any old DRF guys ( or Fabs?) has any photos of Jims cars that would be super-cool!

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:49:12 am »

Great stuff there Don!  Many thanks...

If any old DRF guys ( or Fabs?) has any photos of Jims cars that would be super-cool!
hi jick , never heard or remember  something with  a Jim Gaye ,  and not a lot of drf race car where in report and there's no club profile with drf , there's the volkscahncellors , der california kafer , dkp etc
if i found something i will post   Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 20:51:38 pm »

For the Loungers not in the know on this one...>>  Early Ghia convert, gutted and chopped...appliance white ext and rather rough but a cool ride. Not much of an interior as I last remember it and it was a poor fit&finish but a cool rider all the well. A worn 48ida powered time bomb with gears and just a "run it" kind of car. I can still remember when after I finished detailing the gem and noticing the pool of oil that had taken residence under the car onto my pristine garage floor/LOL.  It was in fact a 20 minute or 20 block ride until the severe detonation became very apparent from lots of compression. It did have some" worn BRM wheels" that were replaced with something else before the sale. Just your basic no frills ride that looked sweet from 50 feet or so. I doubt if ANYONE has, or had taken any pics of this jewel. You EURO guys really blow my mind with your knowledge of some  early cal look history...thanks for another memory through time for me..!!  Chow..Dyno Don
jick

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 23:34:50 pm »

Haha! ..... De nada Dyno Don!

Thanks for the info... I think it's almost more important to hear about the mundane/minutiae rather than the big hitters On the scene....
The everyday little interactions and stories reflect the reality of it all so much better...

bilboa2

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:37 am »

fyi, I remember jim gay from early dkp2 days at mike dumphys house. Real personable, yet outspoken guy. He had a nice brown car.. 8 spokes , 68 ?? . I also remember seeing a red vert ghia in east anaheim with brms that he was involved with with bob chapman. Car was a little ruff but had the stance  I also remember clyde berg mentioning an excellent set of heads he did for the ghia and seeing it race once at orange county with a couple of quick et's. 1900cc ?? Then heard it was sold to japan. don seems to know the story more. Just can't remember if his dkp2 brown car was a 68 or ??   don ??
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 18:10:30 pm »

hi Dyno , it's always  nice to have some story from you , remember last time i was at your place , and listening your stoties with interest , time flies  ,

did this ghia was the one , it was from drf

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 18:36:45 pm »

Bill  i also remember a picture with a late model at the entrance of OCIR and the car was a late model and maybe from DKP II , the car was darker blue or something like that ; but cannot put my hands on the photos
and here's another one with  goldish 8 spokes and stickers look like DKP

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 18:55:36 pm »

herere's the other ca im talking ,pict came from the 2nd bible

Sarge

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 19:38:07 pm »

hi Dyno , it's always  nice to have some story from you , remember last time i was at your place , and listening your stoties with interest , time flies  ,

That looks like Bob Chapman's Ghia, Fabs and was a bad-ass car.  As I recall, the windshield was chopped!

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 19:56:50 pm »

That looks like Bob Chapman's Ghia, Fabs and was a bad-ass car.  As I recall, the windshield was chopped!
hi bro how're you??
you're may be right , i was remembering a ghia race car from the drf here' on the lounge and that's the one i found , hopefully i've a good memory to know where find the pict

RhoadsVW

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 20:08:30 pm »

That is Bob Chapman ghia at OCIR when it was still Bob's.  Sarge is correct that it was very fast.  Was a very light car also.  I think I remember it was a 1700.  69X88.  Not much else I remember about the motor. Bob was a friend of Dave Vanderbeck that helped him.  After seeing the picture again, it's also the picture I took of Bob''s ghia.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 20:27:36 pm by RhoadsVW » Logged

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
RhoadsVW

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 20:23:54 pm »

[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 20:27:58 pm by RhoadsVW » Logged

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
bilboa2

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 21:33:41 pm »

the pic of the brown car at the ocir entrance is jim gay. The time i saw the vert in east anaheim was a few years before i was in dkp2. I had my flared fendered 63 circa 1974 ??They didnt want anything to do with my beckers flare job car. lol They where pushing the ghia around trying to get it started. I thought the car was red then ? Thinking it was white the last time i saw it race at ocir. thanks
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 22:55:47 pm »

hi bro how're you??
you're may be right , i was remembering a ghia race car from the drf ....

[/quote]

Doin' good, bro... thanks for posting up that Ghia pic!  Haven't seen Bob C since the first DKP reunion.  Hope he's still out there!

That is Bob Chapman ghia at OCIR when it was still Bob's.  Sarge is correct that it was very fast.  Was a very light car also.  I think I remember it was a 1700.  69X88.  Not much else I remember about the motor. Bob was a friend of Dave Vanderbeck that helped him.  After seeing the picture again, it's also the picture I took of Bob''s ghia.

Amazing how fast 1700's were back then, eh Dave? Wink  I was a Parts Dept. rookie at Renfree back then fresh out of Auto Haus.  Dave Vanderbeck was the shop's dispatcher.
Good times! Cool

DKP III
RhoadsVW

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 00:11:26 am »

I hear he's still around. I believe doing something with comic art and drawings.  He was really talented with drawings and imagination. Bob Chapman and John Rayburn both very talented for sure!!!!  Bob did a lot of the ralley flyers for DRF.  Every club needs someone like John and Bob.

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
bilboa2

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:53 am »

stumped  ? .... Anyone have an idea of owner of speedwells pic of blue late model with gold 8 spokes ? I talked to goss, billings, griener, etc... (dkp2 guys.) no idea ? maybe even black ??  My memory has been subject...To late of car for dkp 1 ?.... Ok russell, many are posting again....lol
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 07:16:57 am »

I can remember a car similar but it was a dark mustard color with THE HEAD SHOP stickers on the rear quarter windows. Also had gold 8 spokes...my mind isn't as clear anymore. Blah!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
jick

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 08:30:45 am »

This is all fantastic stuff guys!  Many thanks!

Sarge

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 14:18:59 pm »

Bill  i also remember a picture with a late model at the entrance of OCIR and the car was a late model and maybe from DKP II , the car was darker blue or something like that ; but cannot put my hands on the photos and here's another one with  goldish 8 spokes and stickers look like DKP

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,97.msg116456.html#msg116456
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 14:21:52 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 18:06:28 pm »

Bill  i also remember a picture with a late model at the entrance of OCIR and the car was a late model and maybe from DKP II , the car was darker blue or something like that ; but cannot put my hands on the photos and here's another one with  goldish 8 spokes and stickers look like DKP

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,97.msg116456.html#msg116456
yes bro it was a pict from you ;-)

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 18:14:24 pm »

stumped  ? .... Anyone have an idea of owner of speedwells pic of blue late model with gold 8 spokes ? I talked to goss, billings, griener, etc... (dkp2 guys.) no idea ? maybe even black ??  My memory has been subject...To late of car for dkp 1 ?.... Ok russell, many are posting again....lol

bill as Sarge said when he posted that picture that car belong to  Bob Hanke  from DKP II

MC Dyno Don

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 18:57:05 pm »

After posting re: the Ghia, I wondered (?) if it use to be Bob Chapman's and after viewing the pic (courtesy/Speedwell), I am almost certain it could be one in the same as the pic with the roll bar was the deciding shot. And Bill,..Jim G's sedan was a 68.   : )
RhoadsVW

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 00:45:37 am »

Yes Don it was Bob Chapman's ghia at the time at OCIR.  I took the picture and it was in DRF at the time.

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 01:48:07 am »

Great to see Mr Rhoads droppin in  Grin

Fantastic stories guys!!!

I am sure I remember reading stories of Bob's Ghia on the street..... Anyone?  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
RhoadsVW

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 07:27:07 am »

This has kinda went off course from being about Jim Gaye.  I haven't visited Jim for a while now. Maybe go by and see him next week.  He is still at Wrecks West I believe.  Let go see.   I'll tell him everybody says HI  Smiley

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
jick

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:58 am »

Do it Dave.... That's a great idea! 

If some query about about a nearly 50 year old wheel gets a couple of old friends together then that's pretty cool!

Cheers.... Jick.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: