The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 15:40:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Poly bushes are no good.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poly bushes are no good.  (Read 7185 times)
vwhelmot

« on: January 04, 2015, 17:14:17 pm »

I bought my cal looker back and wondered why the handling and steering was horrible. I only drove it for about six miles before I stripped the car completely and this is what I found. It was very dangerous , wandered all over the road and very hard to keep in a straight line. I will be buying a set of needle bearings and seals. I wonder how the hell it vanished and serves as a warning. Check yours if you have any!

leec

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 18:13:43 pm »

I would be changing the one on the steering box also

Lee
vwhelmot

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 18:40:01 pm »

I will definitely. Who thought they were a good idea?!
Jim M

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 22:04:59 pm »

Are the needle bearings available?

Porters Precision
vwhelmot

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 22:53:12 pm »

Shouldn't be a problem.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:28:59 am »

I used to despise poly, but with age sometimes comes better understanding. You need to use the proper lube with poly, and it makes all the difference. Normal moly lubes are petroleum based, will attack the polyurethane and cause failure as seen in your car.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
vwhelmot

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:02:57 am »

All the other bushes are ok. So why just the one if it's a case of wrong lubrication? Don't think it's that that has caused this.
leec

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:11:06 am »

I would also check the beam. I am guessing its a narrowed aftermarket one
vwhelmot

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:14:09 am »

The beam is the original vw one I narrowed fifteen years ago. The arm seems to be fine but I will check everything .
Donny B.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 16:37:27 pm »

I probably have  50k miles on mine with polyurethane bushings and no issues what so ever.  I greased them liberally with Valvoline grease and have had no problems.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 21:22:06 pm »

Javabug is correct, it is not recommended to use Petroleum Grease, it attacks the Urethane, we here at Prothane only recommend using the Grease we provide with our Bushing kits, it is a water-proof, non-melting Teflon and is formulated to seal out water and to lubricate under the most adverse conditions. You can order it from any of our dealers listed on our Web Site, here are the part numbers,

19-1750 (3) 1/2oz packs
19-1751 (1) 14oz tube for a grease gun.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 21:57:54 pm »

You can order it from any of our dealers listed on our Web Site, here are the part numbers,

Mr Luppino, is there anything you can do to help us Norwegians with parts from Bugpack?

Best rgs
Karl

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
vwhelmot

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 22:09:13 pm »

Javabug is correct, it is not recommended to use Petroleum Grease, it attacks the Urethane, we here at Prothane only recommend using the Grease we provide with our Bushing kits, it is a water-proof, non-melting Teflon and is formulated to seal out water and to lubricate under the most adverse conditions. You can order it from any of our dealers listed on our Web Site, here are the part numbers,

19-1750 (3) 1/2oz packs
The wrong grease has not caused this bush to simply disappear ? It's gone, the complete sleeve is not there.
The other three are still there so I'm wondering what could have caused this.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 22:19:50 pm »

You can order it from any of our dealers listed on our Web Site, here are the part numbers,

Mr Luppino, is there anything you can do to help us Norwegians with parts from Bugpack?

Best rgs
Karl

You can try a company called Hot Shop, they are in Norway or here in the US is Pierside Parts, they ship world wide.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 22:22:52 pm »

19-1750 (3) 1/2oz packs
The wrong grease has not caused this bush to simply disappear ? It's gone, the complete sleeve is not there.

Ok......The only time I have seen bushing fail is when either the wrong grease was used or they were improperly installed. Good luck.
andy198712

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 22:17:01 pm »

Do you still need to pump it through via the nipples regularly with these inserts or is that for the benefit of the needle bearings?
HERB

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 17:04:47 pm »

19-1750 (3) 1/2oz packs
Is it possible that the outer lip came off and the rest of the bushing "walked" in towards the center of the beam?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: