The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:31:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350798 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  oil pressure problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: oil pressure problems  (Read 1720 times)
kever65

« on: January 11, 2015, 17:21:08 pm »

Hello,

I changed my oil pump in my daily driver type 4 powered bug ,because, oil pressure was good once i got pressure, but it took like 10 seconds before i got pressure after the car was stopped for a day. With the new oilpump i noticed, when i cranked him for oil pressure (oil cooler removed) i got a lot of air bubbles in the oil coming out of the engine, even after some time of continuous cranking. Can this cause the problem of the lack of oil pressure the first 10 seconds and where are the air bubbles coming from?

Any info on this?

thanks guys for reading.

spanners

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 21:53:42 pm »

Hello,

I changed my oil pump in my daily driver type 4 powered bug ,because, oil pressure was good once i got pressure, but it took like 10 seconds before i got pressure after the car was stopped for a day. With the new oilpump i noticed, when i cranked him for oil pressure (oil cooler removed) i got a lot of air bubbles in the oil coming out of the engine, even after some time of continuous cranking. Can this cause the problem of the lack of oil pressure the first 10 seconds and where are the air bubbles coming from?

Any info on this?

thanks guys for reading.

You give no oil system details, but just slow gauge response most likely, but check the oil control piston is not jammed, really there's only one way to check pressure properly, screw a mechanical pressure gauge directly into the case at the oil switch port.
Dry sump systems often pump air bubbles for some minutes until it settles out in the tank after a few circuits, mine pumps almost a moose for 10 mins, but pressure is still good, you can watch it pump clearer oil into the tank as it bleeds itself, I spose your oil level is good and the car is not jacked up like a sky rocket at the back? that will cause bubbles as the pump struggles to prime itself.

Best regards, spanners.
kever65

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:44:20 am »

Thanks for the reply,

the oil system is completely stock, but the answer you gave me got me thinking, the problem started after i put the car back to stock height with big tires in the back (nose down stance), the oil level was between the markings on the dipstick, but its an aftermarket dipstick so the reading can be wrong, as result that the oil level was always on the low side. I Will check how much oil there is needed in a type 4 engine and fill him up to that level. I keep you updated

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: