The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 16:11:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351057 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The first UK club...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The first UK club...  (Read 3944 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: September 01, 2007, 20:13:32 pm »

With all this talk of what happened in the US back in the '60s and '70s, I thought some of you guys might be in what a group of us got up to in the UK about the same time...

First of all, let me apologise for an almost total lack of photos. That's something I can't do much about as I don't ever recall any of us being particularly photo-minded back then! If or when i come across some, I'll post them.

In 1974, I bought my first Bug and, as I was into the hot rod scene, began to mess with it. At the time there were no custom VW clubs other than a very few buggy clubs. Certainly no club was dedicated to hot or custom Beetles. I was good friends with a guy by the name of Keith Glassborow whom I'd met while cycle racing. He got into choppers and then decided to buy a Beetle. This was fitted with a Selecta-Drop, 6x13in slot mags on the front and 7x15s on the rear. The engine was a 1600 with dual 34ICT Webers. Originally red, it was painted black and pinstriped by me. The car was crashed and written off and the parts used to create another similar Bug which was painted metallic green. Where it ended up I'll never know. Keith used to drive the hell out of his cars, which seemed fast at the time but would feel very average now!

We both belonged to Surrey Street Rodders, one of the original street rod and custom clubs in the UK (I was member number 12) and, as was common at the time, we'd bump into other VW owners at rod shows. This set me thinking. I wrote to Custom Car magazine and they published a letter from me asking if anyone in the south of England would be interested in forming a club for modified VWs. About seven or eight people contacted me, the first being Tim Sneller, of whom more at a later date. We arranged to hold a first club night at the Cricketers pub in Eversley, UK, the same pub where the Surrey Street Rodders met (That way I knew they wouldn't mind some loud cars showing up!). About a dozen people came along, but one guy left because he was disappointed there weren't more modified cars there (he owned a stock 1200 Bug with 1300 heads... Go figure). This was late 1975 or poss very early 1976.

We continued to meet up once a fortnight and gradually our cars came out of the woodwork.

By this time I drove a 1967 sedan with 1500 motor, ported heads, 'hot road' cam, Ansa glass-pack and a dual-throat Weber. It was also lowered in front and dechromed. Interior had a pair of Corbeau GTB seats and a Grant steering wheel, Speedwell tach and a Quickshift. Wheels were stock steel at the front and widened steelies at the rear.
Keith Glassborow drove his sedan as described above.
Tim Sneller came along in his dad's 1966 1300 which had a gold paint job and 356 rims all round, plus a Zenith carb I believe.
Clive Househam (owner of Ultra VW magazine) had his Oval-window Bug with 13in Wolfrace slots on the front and massive 10x15 Ansens on the rear. This was the first Beetle I'd seen in the UK with a lowered front end.
Chris Abbott (who worked at Autocavan, the VW  performance shop) had a 1970-ish 1300 Bug with slot mags all round and vinyl covered fenders (don't ask). It also had a 1600 with dual ICT Webers, I think.
Chris Grant had a metallic blue 412LE Variant with Ansa exhaust and Wolfrace slot mags all round. He used to own a late-model Beetle with EMPI 88s and a Holley Bugspray.
Brian Grantham (also from Autocavan) had a 1966 Beetle on widened steels with a 1600 and dual ICT Webers.
Clive Pightling was in the process of building a stunning black Oval on chrome EMPI Sprint Stars.
Tony Weston had an Oval with 88s and dual Solexes on DDS manifolds, 010 etc, chromed glasspack and chromed Porsche 356 rims, metallic purple paint.Very cool.

This was the core of the club, which survived for just a couple of years as Air Kool Kustoms (AKK!) – snappy name, huh?

More tales as I remember them (only if you're interested), but that at least 'marks the spot'... AKK lives, OK? Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 21:01:47 pm »

First of all, let me apologise for an almost total lack of photos.

No camera, eh...if you promise to be nice, I'll loan you mine  Grin

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 21:27:38 pm »

Why, oh why, did I know YOU would be the first to respond!  Grin

Love ya Sarge! You're the one reason I don't worry about getting OLD!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Incontinent, yes. Old no...  Grin

Russell

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 21:45:26 pm »

keith

theres a few photos of you in CC if you dont have them ill scan them in for you !!! they are in the 80's i think.

Best Regards

Russell
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 22:18:49 pm »

What can I say...  Roll Eyes  Hey, cool story by the way!  Can I use your toilet, I gotta pee....

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 23:58:50 pm »

More! More! How about the first VW drag meet?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 08:23:56 am »

yes more please  Smiley

clubstories, rules, decals, funfacts all the good and bad stories.

in short i feel another book in the making (again)  Grin
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 09:18:13 am »

Ho yes please Uncle Keith. Tell us how it was the first big vw events in UK.  Grin

A friend tell me that's events like VW action 15 years ago where awesome.

What a forum dude... Lot's of memorabilia.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 09:55:56 am »

Don't really want to get into the VW-only drag race meets as they didn't happen until years later (1987 and Bug jam) and that's too modern for here.

However,t here were many people who raced VWs over the years – Bernie Smith raced a Super Beetle in BDRA (British Drag Racing Association) Street class, winning his championship in about 1975. Car was called Humbug, a name he used later for his chop-top racer, which I eventually raced as Flat Attack in 1989. Up north, there was also Trevor Atkinson in his Toenail Draggin' Karmann Ghia (I did the heads for that – probably one of the first sets of welded heads in the UK). Car never ran very well (maybe my heads were crap!) and always struggled to get down the track. Bob Wicke ran a VW-powered Fiat 500 under the name of Lil' Bug – he then started to build what became Bernie Smith's chop-top sedan but then swapped it with Bernie for the dragster he was building. That rail later became Air Express, owned by Brett Hawksbee. Then there was also Mick Hillier in his 19-second metallic blue Beetle, which was raced with success in the '70s. Nice car.

I remember being at Santa Pod in the early 1970s nd seeing an American serviceman race a metalflake and candy Fastback called Superfly, but I never saw it or heard of it again. I guess it got shipped back to the USA. VW engines were used by a couple of bike drag racers – the Lloyd brothers were one team and. of course, Clive Waye's Dragwaye elongated bike was another successful set-up. I first put a VW down the track in 1975 – slow! 19.01sec ET! Ha ha!

More later... Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: