The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 22:30:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  new empi caps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: new empi caps  (Read 5148 times)
nicolas

« on: April 12, 2015, 09:05:57 am »

i always thought the aftermarket caps on empi 8 spokes never had the right shape, Slingshot on here must have thought so as well so he made a few sets of originally shaped ones. so that was a good thing.
But even so even these give the wheels a very different look compared to running them without caps.

then Bosshog on here actually pinned it down correctly when he was looking for the LanD caps for his enkei wheels. he said  something along the lines of that the wheels look like the wheels on the carts of Ben Hur, they do a bit  Undecided empi's as well

to me it is even more so on a fastback, the beetle is rounder and curvier, so it works better on it, a type3 is more angular

so i had the idea to just cut out some flat caps, but that won't work on 8 spokes, so i needed to make full profiled caps.

here is what i have come top with so far. i a still thinking of engraving the triangular logo of the empi Gt logo on them, and maybe they can be a bit smaller in outer diameter, but this is what i have come up with so far.

they are similar, just the fronts are 20mm and the backs 25mm

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jick

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:59 am »

Looks good Nicolas....nice work

plasticblack

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:06 am »

Looks good Nicolas....nice work

X2 Cool

We need more of this stuff on here... A Problem/Requirement sorted right here amongst ourselves Grin

Excellent.
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 20:35:25 pm »

Looks good Nicolas, and kudos for making something to solve a problem. How about adding a bit more shape like a Sprintstar cap? That would really mess with peoples heads!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 18:38:54 pm »

Looks good Nicolas, and kudos for making something to solve a problem. How about adding a bit more shape like a Sprintstar cap? That would really mess with peoples heads!

thanks for the comments so far.  Grin

well it isn't entirely what i want for looks, but it might get a little recess on top, like a sprintstarcap, but i am not sure if it is possible side the aluminum is quite thin there (3mm) but still possible. one thing that most likely will  be done is making the dome smaller in diameter. it is 77mm now but i am thinking of going more towards 70 or so.

maybe i'll be able to do another set with the improvements soon. for now i am happy. but please keep reactions (positive and negative ) come.

BossHogg76

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 20:35:30 pm »

They look great Nicholas, I'll post some pics up of when mine arrive  Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 04:12:47 am »

Good work, but it looks to me like the flange could be larger to match up with the flat bit on the wheel better?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 20:31:38 pm »

I agree with Zach.

Also like you said, something in the center of the cap like an EMPI logo would give it the right look.

Awesome job though.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 20:33:40 pm »

Good work, but it looks to me like the flange could be larger to match up with the flat bit on the wheel better?

yes and no. it can be bigger to cover it up, but it isn't on the real ones and certainly not on the aftermarket ones.
i have thought about it, but it would make them even bigger…
for me it would be better if it was a flat piece that covered the hole, much like what is done on american racing wheels.

if i get around it i will make a full front view.

today was very busy and it looks like the rest of the week as well, but i was thinking of making a few plastic ones for different shapes. and i have a lead on someone who could make stickers (even 3D ones like you have on BBS center caps) but maybe that is too much for what i am after. a simple decal like a 5 spoke or an 8 spoke would look good though.
Doktor

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 12:12:38 pm »

If you can, engrave EMPI logo.
That would look cool.

Good job for now !  Cool

dr.aircooled
BossHogg76

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:30 am »

These are the ones that i've had made up. Just waiting to be polished up.

nicolas

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 17:28:43 pm »

really nice!

if i could have gotten away with flat caps i would have made those as well. but the rims won't allow it.

i'll try do do another set with some more ideas i have now.

Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: