The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:35:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dark Red / Burgundy / Maroon coloured cal lookers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dark Red / Burgundy / Maroon coloured cal lookers  (Read 14090 times)
RobtheManx

« on: February 28, 2015, 14:20:57 pm »

Hi Folks looking for pictures of Dark Red / Burgundy / Maroon coloured cal lookers .

Trying to decide on a colour for my 67 , but its got to work well with spun ali rims . Hector Bonilla's car is one of my favourites . Any pictures would be much appreciated .

Thanks , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 15:03:09 pm »

A couple pics of Hector's rig....

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 15:16:03 pm »

hector's color is a late 60'smercedes metallic burgundy red

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 15:22:31 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 16:19:17 pm »

if you think of a darker red car, this one just pops up in my mind as well. it's just right. i personally would never have come up with this color, but it works so good and sets it apart.
RobtheManx

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 18:30:32 pm »

I never realised Hector's car was a metallic .

Its hard to choose a colour that looks good in all weather . Choose a colour which looks amazing in the California sunshine , but not so good on an overcast day in England !

Trying to imagine if the the dark red will look good with with spun ali wheels , like erco's

Rob

Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 22:15:58 pm »

Rob, there were a few all together about 15 years ago. Jason McCreary I think had one featured in Volksworld, Jaguar Regency red on original Empi 5s. Mine was built for my brother and was Citroen Hermes Red on American Eagle wide 5 fuch-alikes. Ben from Total VW magazine had one with trim that was on repro Centerlines, and there was another one that was up around Manchester somewhere. All of them had upright headlight wings too. Now, can Fabs find the articles from Volksworld and Total VW from the late 90s?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jick

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 22:43:43 pm »

I've always been a fan of really rich deep burgundy's.....I'm talking about the colour of a pool of blood... I've always thought that colour works really well with polished wheels....

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 00:17:37 am »

I've always been a fan of really rich deep burgundy's.....I'm talking about the colour of a pool of blood... I've always thought that colour works really well with polished wheels....

That reminds me... Isn't there an oval out there that fits this description? Centerlines? German built I think?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:23:54 am »

yep tobi from the DFL.

they have a website

http://www.dfl-vwclub.de/cars.php?id=8&fileid=0
leec

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:54 am »

Hector's car is spot on. Exactly what a cal look car is about
RobtheManx

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:15 am »

yep tobi from the DFL.

they have a website

That car is gorgeous !

I was torn between 67 VW Blue like Dean Kirsten's car , as we all know that looks good with spun wheels , and a Burgundy , I think I'm decided now .

As some of you know , I'm planning to use 8 x 15 Douglas rears , and 5.5 x 13 spun fronts . Not sure if my choice of big and littles is gonna be too big aand too little ! We'll see .

Thanks , Rob

leec

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:38:19 pm »

If the 8x15 Douglas wheels don't work out, I may have a use for them depending on backspace:)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 15:21:49 pm »

yep tobi from the DFL.

they have a website

That's it! Hard as nails!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 17:56:17 pm »

That oval is killer! Cool
I'm not a fan of metallic paint jobs I prefer solid paint and that oval is spot on!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 17:59:43 pm by WCB Hitler's Hot Rod » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:50:13 am »

There is a few Nice dark red's on early fords.....

You either "Get It" or you don't......
RobtheManx

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:18 am »

If the 8x15 Douglas wheels don't work out, I may have a use for them depending on backspace:)

I've already fitted short axles to the car , and the Douglas rims with MH215 65 15 fit nicely . When I say nicely I mean only just , perfect !

Rob

vwcab

peter

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:25:13 am »

I've already fitted short axles to the car , and the Douglas rims with MH215 65 15 fit nicely . When I say nicely I mean only just , perfect !

Rob
Hi Rob......maybe a spy pic? Smiley

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
stretch

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 14:37:16 pm »

Rob, there were a few all together about 15 years ago. Jason McCreary I think had one featured in Volksworld, Jaguar Regency red on original Empi 5s. Mine was built for my brother and was Citroen Hermes Red on American Eagle wide 5 fuch-alikes. Ben from Total VW magazine had one with trim that was on repro Centerlines, and there was another one that was up around Manchester somewhere. All of them had upright headlight wings too. Now, can Fabs find the articles from Volksworld and Total VW from the late 90s?

Neil, that was Ady's 67.  Great car.   Smiley
RobtheManx

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 16:03:44 pm »

Rob
Hi Rob......maybe a spy pic? Smiley

Sorry , didn't take any pictures and the car is now totally apart .

mick

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 17:38:34 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
RobtheManx

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 20:45:52 pm »

Very Nice car , yours Mick ?

mick

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 21:09:57 pm »

Very Nice car , yours Mick ?

Hi rob yes my car (ex Jason mcreery 67)
Now with a 2276 ida motor

Mick
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 21:22:50 pm »

Neil, that was Ady's 67.  Great car.   Smiley

Evening Stretch, I'd got it in my head that Ady had bought Ben's 67 and that there was another one in a similar colour but it was that long ago I really can't remember!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
cameron shorey

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 22:26:52 pm »

I don't know who owns this car, but I like it.
Bordeaux red?

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
jick

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 23:33:31 pm »

This probably doesn't help, but in a very early Volksworld, not issue1, but maybe 2/3/4/5-ish?
There was (possibly! Haha) a feature about a USA/So-Cal show.... There was a photo of an incredibly shiny beautiful dark blood red/burgundy beetle with, I think, polished Fuchs... definitely Resto-Cal style, but I always recall how nice the paint was....all my mags are packed away after a house move otherwise I'd have a look.... Ring any bells with photographic memory types??

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 03:59:08 am »

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Dave Galassi

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 06:30:32 am »

Patrick Friel's '52.  Beautiful.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 15:56:15 pm »

Lovely car dude Smiley

Really diggin the "stance" as the front end is not too narrow......

Colour is pretty sweet too Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 16:56:55 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
RobtheManx

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 10:35:43 am »

Wink

Didn't realise that was the same car , I cut the feature out of the mag and had it on my bedroom wall years ago .

I'm now torn between a dark red and Indigo Blue . Indigo has been my favourite ever since the feature on Tiger's car . But I figured there were enough blue cars around so was looking for something else . Now I'm thinking , what the hell !

Rob

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: