The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:12:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Barbara Ann my 66
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barbara Ann my 66  (Read 5686 times)
Buggirl (original)

« on: March 29, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »

This is my 66 bug that was imported from California in 1996.  I owned her from 1998 to 2007.  During that time I had what I thought was a good resto, turns out it was not so good as paint has bubbled.  She was my first car and I only sold her as all my mates had brought splittys so I had to have one.  I had a 65 single cab and as much as I loved it, I longed for another bug.  So I had a couple more bugs, but they just weren't the same and I wanted my old girl back!  I knew I still wanted to get her back and turn her into the cal look big engined bug I had always wanted !  She changed hands five times and I missed each sale, then as if by fate, I found her for sale on VZI!   I rang the guy and the deal was sealed!  I brought her back for cheap and had her trailered back to me without even having looked at the car!  
She has sat for 2 years whilst I decided if to fully restore her to sea sand and classic resto or rat and drive as is etc.......well now I have decided, if you are going to do it, do it right!  I am keeping her red (dream colour I wanted ) and after restoring the body to top condition, I am going to have the engine and set up i have always wanted!

As you will see, she was not returned as I sold her and now has the wheels I hate the most!  EMPI 8s!  This is due to the fact I had late bug discs put on before I sold her and someone put them on! Not hey will be going!

Here she is as she is now .......

Buggirl (original)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »

Buggirl (original)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:53:43 pm »

Just deciding on wheels but car will be built to DKP spec!

Which wheels do you think?

RobtheManx

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 15:22:18 pm »

Hi , Nice car . Glad you're sticking with the colour .

My vote is with Gas Burners , but personally I think its a little too low at the front in the Bugselecta pics .

Thanks , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 16:54:14 pm »

Glad to hear your story came full circle and you reunited with your car. Like reuniting with an old friend! Good luck with the restoration. I think that car would great with Erco DDS style wheels.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 20:40:32 pm »

So you found the Lounge eventually!  Wink Welcome in!
I'd go for Gasburners, easiest to swap the 4 bolt drums and discs to Porsche pattern.  When's work starting, and who is doing it?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Buggirl (original)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 23:27:16 pm »

Thanks guys!

Is that THE Neil Davis? 

I was looking at Retro performance to do the work.  Hopefully starting work in a couple of months time
Brew 66

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:35:42 am »

Don't want to hi-jack this.

Car looks like a lot of fun, wit great potential.

Anyone know of a place in the US to get similar front seats? Don have to be EMPI, just the style without having to totally fab up mounts.
Buggirl (original)

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:20:09 am »

Don't want to hi-jack this.

Car looks like a lot of fun, wit great potential.

Anyone know of a place in the US to get similar front seats? Don have to be EMPI, just the style without having to totally fab up mounts.

These were a 21st birthday present in 2000 and were brought from Bernard Newbury.
Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:25:13 am »

Thanks guys!

Is that THE Neil Davis? 

I was looking at Retro performance to do the work.  Hopefully starting work in a couple of months time

Yup, it's me! Neil and Rich at Retro Performance know their stuff. Look at Mabbo (Neil)'s build thread on here - he's done a cracking job!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Buggirl (original)

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 06:38:20 am »

What hieght should bucket seats be?  I know it's an odd question, but when I sold the car they were bolted straight to the follor pan, so mega low down.  Now I have the car back someone has welded a piece in to higher them.  So what height are they usually?
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 07:20:24 am »

Whatever height is comfortable for you!  With my race car I made a frame to sit the seat on after mocking it up with wooden blocks first. It was set for me and no one else, but the new MOT regs require the drivers seat to move forwards and back so you'll need some form of slider mechanism too.

Buggirl (original)

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 16:50:16 pm »

Thanks Neil !  Grin. They have sliders on.  A bit too high for me so I will get them set for me! Thanks
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: