The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:41:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rockers - Swipe vs swivel vs roller
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rockers - Swipe vs swivel vs roller  (Read 1913 times)
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« on: April 04, 2015, 06:00:13 am »

Huh
Yeah OK, roller wins!
(Apart perhaps from the initial costs).

I'm looking at 2 cams, and the end result is very similar, if not identical in the real world (although I don't know the area under curve figures, so maybe not).

1. Web 86a with 1.4 swipe rockers intake, and 1.25 swipe rockers exhaust (252*@.050, lift is .469" and .419").

2. Web 163 with 1.25 swivel feet intake, and 1.1 swivel exhaust (249*@.050, lift is .475" and .422").

It got me to thinking about the different ratios involved in the rockers and the valvetrain, and the different weights swinging around at either end of the rocker, and how they accomplish the same thing effectively. Just to further confuse the issue, I've used both in the past, although I would only be guessing at which was better because I've never tried one set-up then swapped over to the other type without any other change.

Lots of head-scratching while I'm at work (over Easter of course   *sigh* ) bored stooooopid!
Oh, and yes, I know I'm over-thinking it. Thanks.  Grin

Who has their favourites and why?

Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:20 am »

You're already dealing with smaller valve on the exhaust -- Why would you want to further restrict the flow by using less lift?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 19:51:52 pm »

It doesn't need it on the exhaust.

But I was more curious about the weight the adjuster adds to the nose of the rocker, vs the longer lift arc travelled by the lighter-nosed swipe rocker.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 23:58:13 pm by modnrod » Logged
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:13:41 am »

I believe, the only way you can get some of those ratios is offset drilling the shaft and pedestals, so a few of those combo's might not be available.

Flow is flow the more the merrier, and I never found myself with having too much flow in a VW head --

But back to your original question,,,, I've had all three types of rockers and found that the swipe rockers tend to wear out the valve guides a little faster as you get up in spring pressures (OK they were K800's) -- but, I only run roller rockers now just because they look so damn cool setting there when I pull off the valve covers, simple pleasures for us simple folks I say.......

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: