The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 21:43:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 1970 cal look to be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: My 1970 cal look to be  (Read 32356 times)
Pas Jr

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 13:01:23 pm »

You can make the bezel look almost like new again by rolling a round handled screwdriver handle around the rim , without squashing the square lip if it has one.
Some light W/D 400 then 800 to smooth off the lip or edge works well, and then to make it all one colour obviously there is new paint, but a cheats way is to use a black permanent marker to colour it in.
 Wink
Thanks I'll have to give that a go!  Cheesy
Pas Jr

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 22:15:27 pm »

I'm thinking of replacing the points in my distributor to electronic ignition however I have the shorter type distributor. I was wondering whether it is still possible to fit the module or would I have to change to the larger distributor with electronic ignition already fitted?
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:49 am »

They're available for most of the distributor types mate Grin

https://www.vwheritage.com/search/?act=search.searchResults&sType=quick&maxDisplayRows=15&searchText=ac998184&btnSearch=

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Pas Jr

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 20:54:06 pm »

Should I stick with the stock vacuum advance or switch to a 009?
Neil Davies

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 22:33:41 pm »

Depends on what you're doing to the rest of the motor! A 1641 with twin carbs will get you into plenty of trouble at your age, and an 009 would be ideal for that. If you're staying stock 1500 for now then just stick with the original vacuum advance dizzy. I always look to future-proofing my stuff - thats why i had a merged 1 5/8" header on a 1600 single port! I didn't need to buy it later. Same goes with the 36 Dells using the same manifold and linkage kit as 40s and 44s.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pas Jr

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 17:50:45 pm »

Small update. I got some tbars and put them on the car as well as an empi gearknob just to make the car look a bit better  Tongue. I haven't managed to get the wings on or painted yet so the battered ones are staying for now  Roll Eyes. But it's finally starting to look a bit like cal looker
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Neil Davies

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 14:18:55 pm »

Looking good Olly!  If you take off the hubcaps and paint just the area behind them in black you'll make the wheels look much cooler. Just like the Darrell Vittone Race Shop '67 that's in Keith Seume's first Cal Look book. Trust me! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pas Jr

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 17:03:21 pm »

Took the car for it's MOT today passed with a couple of advisories so no worrying about that for a year  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2016, 21:44:17 pm »

So its been over a year since I've last posted and not much has happened with the car up to this point, however the car needed some welding (rear parcel shelf replacement) so while it is in with the welder and painter it is going to get some much needed modification. The plan is for a full body respray, de-trim, drop spindles, 2L alloys put on and cal look window rubbers all round. So hopefully there will be more updates in the following weeks  Grin

Jos

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49:28 pm »

Waiting with anticipation! Here's my '68 that looks a bit like yours (I've still go a lot of work to do on mine as well).

kev d

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:56 am »

Nice car, keep the updates coming Cool
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Pas Jr

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 13:56:39 pm »

Small update, the car is making progress the parcel shelf panel has been welded in and is ready for paint so after that full body respray and modification  Grin Also took a box of bits down to the powder coaters to be coated in satin black, T-bars,dash grills and other small pieces. The car had some very large and ugly inertia reel seat belts fitted but I've managed to get myself a pair of wolfsburg west 3 point static belts for the front seats at a bargain price so I've just got to get the matching lap belts for the back. Cheesy
Pas Jr

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 16:49:16 pm »

Got my parts back from the powder coaters and they have all come out really nice looking forward to seeing them on the car  Grin
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 20:51:07 pm »

Looking really nice Smiley

Pas Jr

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 21:57:23 pm »

While the car is in the workshop I bought a later model 100mph speedo which works fine but was a bit beaten up. I took it apart and cleaned it up, as well as resetting the odometer I replaced the cracked plastic lens with a piece of 5mm polycarbonate that I cut and shaped.

After seeing a topic on the samba I also decided to replace the stock illumination with LED strips which I managed to squeeze in around the inside of the housing

I think the result is alright for a first attempt just need to spray the bezel over as its a bit scuffed
Neil Davies

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 01:30:54 am »

Ollie, when you repaint the bezel, do it in silver as the '70 would have originally have been. Then you'll have a 100mph speedo that looks like it was always there!

Pas Jr

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 00:26:47 am »

Lots of work has been going on since I last posted, after some digging more areas that needed welding were found. The passenger side heater channel and floor pan needed some work as well as around the rear wheel arches these were all patched up and the car is nearly ready for paint.The engine was removed to get the car ready for paint and the rear valence needed some work to get it ready so while its being worked on its being made removable  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 12:42:39 pm »

Rear wheel arch in need of patching
All patched up nicely
Pas Jr

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2017, 16:58:28 pm »

Ok so a bit more time has passed and the car is progressing, after more digging more small areas in need of welding were found which required the body to be separated from the pan. whilst the pan is separated it is going to be stripped, blasted and repainted in raptor coating. The front beam is going to be cleaned up with dropped spindles and while the body is separated it gives us an opportunity to replace all the brake lines, fuel lines etc.The body has begun paint prep and i'm eager to see the finished job  Grin
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 15:33:24 pm »

Nice work, it's going to look great Smiley

Pas Jr

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 14:22:50 pm »

Nice work, it's going to look great Smiley
Thank you Smiley
Pas Jr

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 19:38:52 pm »

More progress is being made! This weekend we rolled the pan out from under the car and stripped it down to be sandblasted and raptor coated  Grin
Pas

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2017, 14:52:03 pm »

So while Ollie is away at Uni I dropped the pan over to the blasters. It looks in good shape with just a few welding repairs to do, the worst one being the frame head front panel.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 14:56:53 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Pas Jr

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 22:02:55 pm »

some colourful progress has been made the first coat of paint has gone on and its looking good already
VWGlassee

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 22:11:20 pm »

Wauw! This is going to look great ;-)

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
Neil Davies

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 18:31:31 pm »

Good work Olly! Nice to see the chrome has disappeared...

Pas Jr

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 21:37:50 pm »

Pas Jr

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2018, 21:39:05 pm »

Pas Jr

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2018, 21:40:27 pm »

Pas Jr

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2018, 21:43:06 pm »

Got some more photos of the paint from today while dad and I were stripping down the beam and some other prep work  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: