The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:58:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  3.44 and Quaife
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 3.44 and Quaife  (Read 4454 times)
fast68

« on: April 08, 2015, 03:03:13 am »

Hi All

I looked into replacing my 3.88 a few years ago with a 3.44 but was under the impression could not be done with a Quaife ATB, after reading a spot in the cal look issue of Hot VW's it was saying with a little machining it can be done,Has any one had any experience in this or any feed back please.

Cheers

Nicholai
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:15:26 am by fast68 » Logged
morkrieger

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:59 am »

Hi Nicholai,

I hope this can help you forward.

I ran into the same problem with my own gearbox build:

-3.44 RP
-Rhino Case
-CB Super diff Swing Axle

We had a Quaiffe Swing Axle LSD on the table at that time which measured to be the same OD as the Super Diff. (around 130mm if i remember correctly)
It won't fit, because of interference between the Pinion wheel and the diff.

A word of warning as i still have a gut feeling about this.
We indexed the 3.44 R/P with a stock diff, using Factory VW R/P tooling, and it appeared to be a bit heavy on the toe. According to Weddle this was 'as they are' and OK.

I am still contemplating what to do, turn down the CB diff or go stock diff. Due to time constraints i haven't looked/worked at it for a long time though.
If the Quaiffe IRS LSD is the same or close to the OD as/of their Swing Axle version the above applies as far i can tell.

Cheers,

Quint

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:22:14 am by morkrieger » Logged
fast68

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:12:11 am »

thanks for your reply quint, looks like its worth giving a go as i dont have the funds for a 5 speed presently and im getting a bit sick of driving around with a 1.22 4th,  so plan is to fit a 3.44 and 1.05 or 09 4th.
morkrieger

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 17:28:39 pm »

I might be daft  Grin but for 'just' a longer total drive ratio in 4th why go all the way to a 3.44 R/P and compensate that with a 1.xx 4th instead of a 0.xx? I.E. 3.88 x 0.93 (3.608) is within 1% of a 3.44x1.04 (3.577).
Dougy Dee

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 19:36:16 pm »

Just did a SwingAxle Quaife diff and 3.44 R&P install. Needed to turn .040 off the nose of pinion for clearance.
morkrieger

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 20:31:17 pm »

Just did a SwingAxle Quaife diff and 3.44 R&P install. Needed to turn .040 off the nose of pinion for clearance.

This! That is the other option.
I few questions come to my mind, if i can ask? (not wanting to hijack this thread)

What was the material hardness like, any hardening present? I have not yet dared to 'probe' my pinion gear.
I have a bit of worry if any present hardened material is taken away on the end, especially if it runs heavy on the toe.
Have you run a pattern on it? What was it like? Also heavy on the toe-side?

cheers,

Quint
fast68

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 21:12:32 pm »

Thanks for that Dougy
fast68

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 21:16:24 pm »

I might be daft  Grin but for 'just' a longer total drive ratio in 4th why go all the way to a 3.44 R/P and compensate that with a 1.xx 4th instead of a 0.xx? I.E. 3.88 x 0.93 (3.608) is within 1% of a 3.44x1.04 (3.577).

The other reason for putting in a 3.44, is i have found my 3.98 is a bit low at the track and I'm interested to see what putting the 3.44 will do the the car over all.
Dougy Dee

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 14:00:25 pm »

This! That is the other option.
I few questions come to my mind, if i can ask? (not wanting to hijack this thread)

What was the material hardness like, any hardening present? I have not yet dared to 'probe' my pinion gear.
I have a bit of worry if any present hardened material is taken away on the end, especially if it runs heavy on the toe.
Have you run a pattern on it? What was it like? Also heavy on the toe-side?

cheers,

Quint

I was there when my machinist cut it. Clean cut, no problems or surprises. Didn't appear to be hardened. Wouldn't hardening produce a fracture prone gear? It wasn't very deep if it was hardened...

I used the markings provided on the nose of the gear to set pinion depth. Then cut the pinion head. Pattern was fine. I believe I ended up with .010 clearance (.25mm) when all was done...
morkrieger

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 18:22:05 pm »

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes i was wondering if there was any surface hardening on the teeth (for wear resistance, so not through hardening, that would make it brittle) but that is probably a higher end application  Grin I had a brainfart about stress build up on the machined face of the teeth due to differing hardness, not the case then  Grin.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: