The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:43:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Broken rocker stud?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Broken rocker stud?  (Read 2627 times)
Chris bugster

« on: May 11, 2015, 20:42:38 pm »

The engine is an 1835 with Scat c35 and Scat Pro Comp 1.25 rockers and Aircooled.net Ali pushrods. It has h/d single springs only.
Question is- Could possible valve float cause a broken cro-moly rocker stud? One broke after a long high speed run.
The engine has done one year or street driving and some racing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:36:23 am by Chris bugster » Logged

11.2@124mph
spanners

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 14:39:45 pm »

That's one thing I've never seen break even when Pistons hit valves in blow ups, I would change the lot, it can only be a bad batch thing, you don't even have mad spring pressures to have stressed them, a loose nut may be possibility, that would give the stud a high frequency work out, but you would know yourself if that was an issue, you would have,  or SHOULD have heard the valve clatter.

Best regards, spanners.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 16:43:37 pm »

what torque are you using to bolt rocker shafts down?

Also, the rocker stands/shafts usually only go on "one way" but it's easy to miss that and bolt stands, and/or shafts on "upside down", which may injure, nick, mar the rocker stand stud, creating a stress riser that leads to a stud breaking. I've done it a few times, just a few weeks back on my chromoly HD studs, after a few 7500 stabs, one broke. (I recently cranked spring pressure up in my car too).

Don't go past 18lb-ft.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 16:49:03 pm »

Yes, it can be caused by valve floate. Done it twice..

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Chris bugster

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 15:56:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys
All the parts were assembled correctly with the correct torque and the only doubts we had was regarding the springs and if the singles would be enough to control this valvetrain

11.2@124mph
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: