The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 01:15:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Anybody tried one of these Wideband gauges from eBay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anybody tried one of these Wideband gauges from eBay?  (Read 9282 times)
Martin S.

« on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:01 am »

They seem like a great deal for under $200 you get the complete kit with the good 5 wire Bosch sender. I was wonder if anyone has tried one and used it to tune you bug motor...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AEM-30-4110-A-F-Digital-Wideband-UEGO-Controller-Gauge-Air-Fuel-Ratio-4-9LSU-/261571397731

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:17:20 am »

AEM are very good gauges -- and they are tuning aids -- just part of the tuning of your engine -- but a AFR meter is fantastic for getting it dialed in

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:12:03 am »

I have a PLX wideband in my turbo from about 8 years ago and it's mounted on the dash, as well as being connected to the Tec3r. It's almost essential with that setup.
I probably paid twice the price back then. The other difference I see is that there is no black box between the gauge and the sender now as the gauge connects directly to the sender with the AEM one. I was interested in having another one which could be swapped around on different motors to check how the tune is. $200 seems like it's worth it to have around as a tool.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
j-dub

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:58:05 am »

I just bought a MTX-l, the controller and gauge is one unit. They are well under $200 and it also uses the latest Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor.

I did not want to install it permanently so I put it in a little project box, the kind that you can get and an electronics store(rip radio shack) so it is easy to move around from car to car.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

kb

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:20:41 am »

I have very good experience with AEM Uego. And the customer service (a few years ago) was one of the best I've encountered. They helped me troubleshoot and fix a broken out-of-warranty gauge, by explaining what I had to do to repair it (solder a wire over a burnt copper track). And if I couldn't fix it, they'd "help me out", he said.
(Didn't want to send it in to them, since I live in Norway.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:25:30 am by kb » Logged
Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 14:28:24 pm »

I just bought a MTX-l, the controller and gauge is one unit. They are well under $200 and it also uses the latest Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor.

I did not want to install it permanently so I put it in a little project box, the kind that you can get and an electronics store(rip radio shack) so it is easy to move around from car to car.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

How did you mount the oxygen sensor for temporary use?

brian e

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 17:23:43 pm »

I have used 2 different AEM widebands in 2 different cars.  Both work really good.  I did have to replace the first O2 sensor after about 3 years. 

I also have the last one now mounted in a portable box along with a tach, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges.  I used weatherpack connectors on the harness, and a short pigtail to the cigarette lighter.  For the o2 mount, I have two muffler to header flanges with about 2" of exhaust tubing between them, and the bung welded to the tube.  It pushes your muffler about 2.25" toward the rear, but it is only on there for about a week while tuning.  All the new engines I build get a bung welded into the collector right off the bat. 

Brian
j-dub

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 04:47:30 am »

How did you mount the oxygen sensor for temporary use?

I had a bung welded to my muffler pipe just after the collector, that keeps the wiring and sensor out of the way on my sidewinder. As far as running the wiring, I have been running it up the fender and in the popout window on the borrowed LM-1 I was using. This MTX-L one has a smaller wiring connector, I am hoping to be able to share the same hole as the positive battery cable but I have not tried yet.

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 18:13:32 pm »

For the o2 mount, I have two muffler to header flanges with about 2" of exhaust tubing between them, and the bung welded to the tube.  It pushes your muffler about 2.25" toward the rear, but it is only on there for about a week while tuning.  
This was what I am considering doing.

All the new engines I build get a bung welded into the collector right off the bat. 
This, however is a good idea also . . . and a pipe plug for when the wideband is not on the car.

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
Bruce

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 22:51:36 pm »

All the new engines I build get a bung welded into the collector right off the bat. 
This, however is a good idea also . . . and a pipe plug for when the wideband is not on the car.
When I tried to weld in one of those threaded bungs like the ebay seller supplies, it melted away almost immediately because it is so small and thin.  Me lying on my back trying to TIG it overhead didn't help.  What is way easier to weld is a 60-73 VW steering wheel nut.  It's a lot thicker so you'll never burn through.  Keep this in mind if you screw up like I did. 
Also, for the plug when not in use, use a VW engine oil plunger plug.  Same thread.  Always use plenty of anti-seize on the threads.
If you need a bare metal steering wheel nut, send me a PM, I have them and can post them right away.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 23:11:46 pm »

cool! Thanks for the tip Bruce!

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:48:07 am »

Are the autometer wideband gauges ok? I had the first generation one from CB Performance and it just went lean rich and just moved around regardless. The main use will be to assist in tuning my nitrous setup.
Martin S.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 16:06:12 pm »

Are the autometer wideband gauges ok? I had the first generation one from CB Performance and it just went lean rich and just moved around regardless. The main use will be to assist in tuning my nitrous setup.

Maybe you had one of the early Narrow Band gauges instead of Wideband? The narrow band were more of an on/off switch and never did work properly with a gauge.

j-dub

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:15 am »

Just a few quick pictures of my current set up. MTX-L with the latest LSU 4.9 sensor. I chose this setup for its compact packaging with the controller in the gauge. For this temporary install I put the gauge in a plastic project box with a on/off switch and a power plug. The O2 sensor is in my A1 sidewinder exhaust and the wiring is going through the same grommet the power wire to the battery goes through.

O2 sensor

Gauge in a project box and a suction cup window mount

Engine in question

Car in question
andy198712

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 08:26:45 am »

i brought two bungs off eBay and a plug for £7 (one to practice stick welding on an old exhaust and one for the real thing)
these plugs are stepped so have some meat to weld to, just mild steel (stainless is available)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251317510602?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Worked well with my PLX wideband, i have the one where you mount a little red box about about 3inx4in and you have a gauge thats touch screen and slim line (as the controller is in the box) but it works well, and amazing to actually know what the engine is doing instead of guessing, a great tool!
neil68

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 05:26:41 am »

Any tips for best route to install the harness wires into a Beetle cockpit?

I have the Wasp header, so I was thinking of routing on passenger/right side, next to the battery, then alongside the tunnel between the seats.  This is for AEM 30-0300 kit.

Thanks!

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
K-Roc

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 17:51:49 pm »

I use these now. no wiring to the dash needed.  Smiley

https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=897346002870

chez2165

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 22:35:11 pm »

Just looked at those app based, how good are they as the reviews aren't great.
K-Roc

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 03:31:18 am »

Just looked at those app based, how good are they as the reviews aren't great.

The only issue is if the app is already running and you start engine it wont connect. you have to first start engine then start the app and connect to smartphone.

If your the type of person who likes to look at gauges this style will be a pain in the ass. if you just install for tuning and only need to check once in a while this is the way to go.

cheers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: