The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 17:37:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  distributor questions AGAIN...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: distributor questions AGAIN...  (Read 5142 times)
nicolas

« on: September 12, 2007, 20:22:28 pm »

i just cant get the 019 to work like my 009 did...

what am i missing here? i thought the 019 was a good distributor for my 1641 and that it would run great, but it stumbles a lot. i haven't done any other changes to the engine, that is for the weekend maybe, but i put in my 009 and it fires up rightaway and doesnt stumble. i do run a compufire in the 009, could that be the answer to a better running car?

i may try a old scat (010) distributor that i have this weekend as well to see what that does as well... or is it the jets ( i run 122fuel and 200 air with the 28 vents and 50 idles and new rubber rings on them)

any thoughts  Huh as always, thank you
alex d

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 20:36:01 pm »

points? rotor? cap? what are you timing it at?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:27:20 am »

I believe your points are similar to an 010, which makes it a little trickier to change them out without ending up grounded. Check your distrbutor with an ohm meter while opening and closing your points.

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:41:28 am »

i have new points, rotor and condensor. i will check the cap and see if there is a groundproblem.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 06:37:16 am »

Any progress on your problem?

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:59:59 am »

i am about to dive into the garage now! i will be back in just a few hours. it's sunday so i am about to wake up the neighborhood!
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:59:57 am »

ok i also have a 010 lying around and put that in. that one was rebuild and checked, so it must be good and indeed it works as good as the 009 to start. i haven't really had the time to drive it and feel a considereate difference, but the engine starts good and idles good. but the number 3 cylinder needed a butr more fuel (with the mixture srew) and the timingwas a bit different. but it runs ok.

i will see if there is anything badly connected or grounded on the 019 and run that one again to see what it does.

i also ran the 32 vents and put in 135 mains and 200 air. the engine seems to be happy with that combo as it responds really well, i will do a testdrive later today.  Grin

thanks allready for all the help
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 18:57:53 pm »

In case this helps,the 019 runs much better if you pull one spring off, otherwise the curve is too slow. One spring would probably work real well with your combo. Good luck!

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 19:53:06 pm »

thanks for that info!

i will open it up tomorrow if i don't come home too late from work and have my points set again. i think they opened up a little too much ( i normally set them at 0,3mm) and the timing was probally wrong as well as the 010 has now 10° at 900rpm.
i have still a lot of work to do to have it finished before ddd and i am not allowed to drive it on the street at the moment. i guess i will have to work late after wednesday (after i pass inspection).

but the engine is getting better and better on the short trips i do take (i just have to drive it  Roll Eyes )

i will keep you posted on the quest for performance for the small engine  Grin
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 05:06:34 am »

Glad to hear there's improvement! Good luck on inspection, and do keep me posted!

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 15:39:04 pm »

ok i passed inspection!!! so i type this with trembling hands,

and in the excitement i replaced the 010 with the modified 019 (one spring) again. i checked the grounding and i put another condensor on it again.
it was a little hard to get it started as the position of the dist was way different as the 010. i thought they had the same advance curve so i thought the dist were set the same. anyway i checked everything 5 times with the strobelight and i put the timing at 10° at 850rpms
AND BOY DOES THAT WORK!!! it revs so good and just keeps on going until i reach 5000rpms (that is when i let go and the road ran out). i plan on running NO springs  Wink
this is so much better, the engine drove really good, but held back compared to this setup. i don't plan on running great times with this combo but all the fun that is in this combo has to come out of it.
thank you John for helping!

all i need to do now is get the little bugging out of the engine when i accelerate. it just stumbles a little, but i guess  that is a jetting problem. the idle jet may need to be a little bigger as the 050 i run now. i have a 052 that i will try out. the acc pumps seem to deliver a nice squirt down the troats so i don't think that is the problem and i set my floatvalves this weekend when i changed the vents.
so i still need all the advice you can spare, but this is allready a great improvement.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 15:54:56 pm »

cool news nicolas cu saturday  Wink with the fasty

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:47 am »

Here's something for you to check. Whenever I have low RPM stumbles and suspect electrical, I check to make sure my high tension lead isn't arcing onto anything like the fan shoud. It will cause similar problems and I've had this issue more than a few times. Jetting wise, a low end stumble can be a main jet issue; either lean or fat. Lean tends to pop and fat makes more of a bumbling hesitation and will give you some black smoke. Give these a try, but it sounds like you're well under way. Good luck, and keep me posted!

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 01:50:04 am »

Also lube the felt wick under your rotor and make sure ( by twisting by hand ) that your dist. is advancing freely and not sticking or binding.

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 08:03:00 am »

Here's something for you to check. Whenever I have low RPM stumbles and suspect electrical, I check to make sure my high tension lead isn't arcing onto anything like the fan shoud. It will cause similar problems and I've had this issue more than a few times. Jetting wise, a low end stumble can be a main jet issue; either lean or fat. Lean tends to pop and fat makes more of a bumbling hesitation and will give you some black smoke. Give these a try, but it sounds like you're well under way. Good luck, and keep me posted!

what is the hight tension lead? is that the one from the coil to the distributor cap, or the wire that runs from the coil to the points? the big lead always comes against the decklid of the fastback. i need to buy leads with angled connections for the distributor end. the other wire will be taken care of this evening. as for the jets i have 3 130 jets... and one rimmed out 110 jet that looks more like a 200 jet now. so i will try to locate one and see what it does. maybe i can get them before the weekend. 
alex d

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:10 am »

congratulations nicolas!!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 15:54:11 pm »

The high tension lead is the one from the coil to the dist. Angled connectors are a real good idea for a type 3, I'm pretty sure they actually came with them for the reason you're talking about. There's a pretty fair chance your getting some arcing to your engine cover, I've even seen them arc from the connector at the dist to a plug wire. Every time I've had leakage of this type it's always shown up as a low end stumble type problem.

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 21:58:40 pm »

i did some testdriving today and the engine runs a little hot to my liking and i have still a little stumble at low rpms. it just dies off and starts right after that. i suspect it to be a lean condition as there is no black smoke. but i haven't been able to locate any 140 mains, but did put in 130 and that didn't cure the problem. i have put in 52 idles and i will see what it does tomorrow on my way to Bitburg. i have a few stops before i get there so i can juggle a little more with the jetting.
i also found that the engine idles better and responds better with a little less timing. i put in 8° at 850rpms.

hope i make the trip safely

will keep you posted Wink
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 03:20:39 am »

Step up your idle jets until it runs soggy, then back them off a little. I always run my idle jets just a smidge on the fat side ; it makes for a little cooler running engine and will probably clear up the stumble. Good luck on your drive!

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: