The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:38:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350696 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Quality of AA Performance 4" barrel and flywheel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quality of AA Performance 4" barrel and flywheel?  (Read 2849 times)
Peter S

« on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:37 am »

I originally planned to use Ø100mm pistons/barrels for my new engine, but might decide to give up that idea and go for Ø101,6mm instead.
The AA performance barrels are a tempting option, but have heard a lot of negative things about them in the past.

One is that the bore is out of shape and when stress honing them it's more or less impossible to correct this without having to go for an OD piston.

The other is that the material and the casting itself are not up to the standard needed when building a high performance engine.
I have heard horror stories about barrels so porous they "sweat" oil straight through the cylinder wall.

I'm also in need of a 200mm flywheel that fit my counterweighted WBX-crank.
AA offers exactly that kind of flywheel. Seem to be a nice product and reasonably priced, but measures taken on several AA-flywheels by friends of mine has shown that the diameter of the mating surface against the crank is too large. The tight fit needed to make the flywheel fit and center correctly just isn't there.

Is there anyone out there with hands on experience of these barrels and flywheels that can confirm or deny if this is still the case or a thing of the past? I might be naive, but I like to believe that manufacturers are keen to receive this kind of feedback and do something about it.

Are there other manufacturers of flywheels that offer what I'm looking for?

I'ts closer than ever....
Peter S

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:44 am »

I don't know how to interpret the lack of reply  Roll Eyes
Either no one has used the parts in question (unlikely) or is reluctant to share information in public. If the latter is the case, please send me a PM instead  Wink

richie

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:11 am »

I haven't used the flywheel myself, but have used some of the cylinders, I got a set now for my JPM head build and they check out good, but they[AA] do have them available un-honed & slightly undersize and you send in a piston for them to hone to match which is what I did this time.

I have been told of a 1600[85.5] AA cylinder that was porous but after strip down and inspection it was revealed to have a small crack in it, maybe from damage in transportation but this was not visible initially, never heard of any others though.

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Peter S

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:11:34 am »

I haven't used the flywheel myself, but have used some of the cylinders, I got a set now for my JPM head build and they check out good, but they[AA] do have them available un-honed & slightly undersize and you send in a piston for them to hone to match which is what I did this time.

I have been told of a 1600[85.5] AA cylinder that was porous but after strip down and inspection it was revealed to have a small crack in it, maybe from damage in transportation but this was not visible initially, never heard of any others though.

cheers Richie

Thanks!
How do I get in contact with you (email etc)? I have a few questions about parts I might order from you  Smiley

richie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

I sent you a PM

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: