The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 23:36:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules  (Read 43323 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2015, 22:05:56 pm »

So far majority of feedback I have got is for

Class A total street cars, must be pump fuel, have muffler/silencer, Euro kite mark tires and run same as they do on cruise, but for Goose fanbelt can be removed before or on your pass Wink I actually think allowing the removal of fan belt on some cars is good idea as not everyone will have a welded fan and we don't need any fan explosions Shocked

Class B Everything else, but must complete cruise

Then trophy for quickest in

Class A Normally aspirated
Class A Power adder[turbo, nitrous, supercharger etc]
Class B N/A
Class B Power adder/adders  

And finally the Big trophy/cake for the person that has the most fun Grin

This looks like a good starting point, think minimum two front seats, pump gas, normal radial tires, muffler and mot certificate for class a and class a power added. Belt on or off as could be run loose enough to not make much difference

class b whatever turns you on
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 22:49:54 pm by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 14:31:53 pm »

This looks like a good starting point, think minimum two front seats, pump gas, normal radial tires, muffler and mot certificate for class a and class a power added. Belt on or off as could be run loose enough to not make much difference

Ron,

thanks for input and would be good to see you with car their Smiley

I don't want to go down the mot route, given pre 60 cars don't need one, they are worthless 10 mins after test is finished on cars that do and any foreign cars documentation wouldn't mean anything to me it seems simpler to put emphasis on owner to be responsible to bring a legal car, given we cant check tax discs at track in a practical way, just easier to make sure they got the sensible stuff like lights, indicators, wipers etc and leave it alone.

Belt will be down to driver for sure, not going to worry about checking every car and you make a good point of leaving it loose enough to make no difference Wink

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 18:57:25 pm »

Pre-60 cars can still be MOT'd though. I'd say that it's a minimal price to pay to help create a level playing field. Plus that whole thing of no MOTs for pre-60 cars is stupid anyway. But, hey, you know best! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 19:02:01 pm »

Ron,

thanks for input and would be good to see you with car their Smiley

I don't want to go down the mot route, given pre 60 cars don't need one, they are worthless 10 mins after test is finished on cars that do and any foreign cars documentation wouldn't mean anything to me it seems simpler to put emphasis on owner to be responsible to bring a legal car, given we cant check tax discs at track in a practical way, just easier to make sure they got the sensible stuff like lights, indicators, wipers etc and leave it alone.

Belt will be down to driver for sure, not going to worry about checking every car and you make a good point of leaving it loose enough to make no difference Wink

cheers Richie

Fair point on the mot and tax

I'm sure everyone will abide by the spirit of the class structure anyway, should be fun

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

I'm happy with the way it is as currently proposed, and it is in keeping with the spirit of the Cal Look Drag Day.

Let's keep it simple and rely on the camaraderie of our fellow racers and enthusiasts, which has never been anything other than 100%, as I hope anyone who has attended CLDD to date would agree.

Tufty65

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 12:48:12 pm »

I'm happy with the way it is as currently proposed, and it is in keeping with the spirit of the Cal Look Drag Day.

Let's keep it simple and rely on the camaraderie of our fellow racers and enthusiasts, which has never been anything other than 100%, as I hope anyone who has attended CLDD to date would agree.

Do we have a date yet for CLDD mate?

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 15:17:37 pm »

Do we have a date yet for CLDD mate?

No but we're very very close to having it agreed!

peach_

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 01:26:03 am »

Got it in a nut shell Jamie.

top work richie, love the format and im sure it will be a fantastic addition to CLDD!

Keep usp the good work  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2015, 09:25:38 am »

Rich

I am thinking leave within 30mins of track closing on Saturday afternoon/evening, you have done this type thing with street eliminator, is that enough time to get everyone ready?

Was hoping it would appeal to you Wink

cheers Richie

Thinking about it if it's at the Pod earlier is better as you know how jittery they are about noise curfews, do they close the gates at a certain time on RWYB sessions? Street eliminator are given an hour from the last qualifier to being ready to leave from the gate, 30 mins should be enough time to pump the tyres, throw some extra fuel in and check the motor over ready for a cruise. So long as everyone knows when the departure time is they can ready themselves.

Someone mentioned stopping for food, this could be a logistical nightmare, I'd say just do the cruise on it's own and keep it simple. The street eliminator route at for Santa Pod is dead simple nice flowing roads, not done the Shakey one yet ( Embarrassed ) but can find out if you would like?
richie

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2015, 10:05:10 am »

Rich

I am thinking leave within 30mins of track closing on Saturday afternoon/evening, you have done this type thing with street eliminator, is that enough time to get everyone ready?

Was hoping it would appeal to you Wink

cheers Richie

Thinking about it if it's at the Pod earlier is better as you know how jittery they are about noise curfews, do they close the gates at a certain time on RWYB sessions? Street eliminator are given an hour from the last qualifier to being ready to leave from the gate, 30 mins should be enough time to pump the tyres, throw some extra fuel in and check the motor over ready for a cruise. So long as everyone knows when the departure time is they can ready themselves.

Someone mentioned stopping for food, this could be a logistical nightmare, I'd say just do the cruise on it's own and keep it simple. The street eliminator route at for Santa Pod is dead simple nice flowing roads, not done the Shakey one yet ( Embarrassed ) but can find out if you would like?

Rich,

thanks for that Smiley and yes can you send me info on both routes please? or post them up is fine so as to get other peoples thoughts as well

cheers Richie

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 13:08:02 pm »

If you only could include a engine size handicap system  Grin

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
richie

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 15:30:09 pm »

Bring your car and we will figure something out  Shocked  So you want to handicap the under 1800cc engines as they are to quick right?   Tongue Kiss Grin

cheers Richie

Chip

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 17:06:01 pm »

Bring your car and we will figure something out  Shocked  So you want to handicap the under 1800cc engines as they are to quick right?   Tongue Kiss Grin

cheers Richie
LOL!
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 19:06:53 pm »

This is the route for the Santa Pod cruise, as you see very straight forward including a stop at the BP garage then to the retail park where they do the hot start. It's about 22miles

https://goo.gl/maps/7vAPZHrKEiH2

I'll ask about the other route.
andy198712

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2015, 19:29:03 pm »

A lot of over thinking on the street car thing going on here, i'd just say a muffler and the persons word its legal (insured and will pass a police check to be on the road) all friends anyway and its a friendly event  Grin i'll have to google how far it is from Cornwall!
steve_pugh

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 20:55:50 pm »

A lot of over thinking on the street car thing going on here, i'd just say a muffler and the persons word its legal (insured and will pass a police check to be on the road) all friends anyway and its a friendly event  Grin i'll have to google how far it is from Cornwall!

Yes. I guess the cruise is the equaliser.   
If someone is happy to potentially be pulled over on the cruise because they lied about it being street legal then that is their risk. 

andy198712

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 21:32:40 pm »

Yes. I guess the cruise is the equaliser.   
If someone is happy to potentially be pulled over on the cruise because they lied about it being street legal then that is their risk. 

That was my thoughts, also if its people from here or that are known, its pretty clear if someone has a street car or not  Grin
Racing first and the cruise after would be interesting, especially as it could change the leader board if they didn't make the cruise after the run.
Chip

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2015, 22:05:43 pm »

Dang, if we had raced first, then done the cruise I think maybe 3 of the vegas dozen would have made the drive! A lot of our group did not go home with happy healthy cars.
richie

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 10:07:48 am »

Dang, if we had raced first, then done the cruise I think maybe 3 of the vegas dozen would have made the drive! A lot of our group did not go home with happy healthy cars.

Shocked Cry 

Advantage of doing cruise 1st is everyone can push a little harder at track but way this is going to work is people will run on Saturday, do cruise saturday eve then run sunday so real test for the cars  Shocked

cheers Richie

Chip

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 17:45:04 pm »

I like it!
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2015, 01:17:34 am »

So excited about this event. I even did a bit of work on the car this weekend as it motivated me. Smiley

Dude  Cool

stretch

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2015, 12:36:24 pm »

So excited about this event. I even did a bit of work on the car this weekend as it motivated me. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Me too !!   Wink

Thanks for all your help on Saturday Dude, much appreciated.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »

Dude  Cool

Me too !!   Wink

Thanks for all your help on Saturday Dude, much appreciated.

No worries mate. Smiley

Get cracking on the car now, you get a event to take it to!  Grin

Dude  Cool

2332-64

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2015, 21:37:45 pm »

Shocked Cry 

Advantage of doing cruise 1st is everyone can push a little harder at track but way this is going to work is people will run on Saturday, do cruise saturday eve then run sunday so real test for the cars  Shocked

cheers Richie

Love the sound of this and definitely interested  Smiley  the cruise after racing sounds great..... more worried about the 160 mile round trip there and back after all that abuse   Cheesy

2332cc FK89 48IDA

12.8 @ 102.8 mph. Full weight bug - all steel, interior, glass, belt, treads and muffler.
0-60 3.99 secs
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

I'll bring the new car I'm guessing, we start building next weekend.
richie

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2015, 10:58:53 am »

Well its looking like the majority will get there wish on choice of location Smiley, 99% sure it will be at shakey and will take place middle of june, hopefully confirmation in next couple of weeks

cheers Richie

Udo

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2015, 17:39:39 pm »

Hi to all- that is a very good idea to make a race like that . I hope we can do an outlaw flat four race too :-)

But the best for all is to run a braket class or try to get the faster ones run with DOT's min . You can not race with a 200+ hp car with real street tires :-(

Udo

richie

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2015, 20:25:35 pm »

Hi to all- that is a very good idea to make a race like that . I hope we can do an outlaw flat four race too :-)

But the best for all is to run a braket class or try to get the faster ones run with DOT's min . You can not race with a 200+ hp car with real street tires :-(

Udo

Hi Udo,

good to see your interest Smiley  the street cars will get to choose what tyres they run on and I agree, a real 200hp in a VW on radials can be a real handful but there are plenty of 100-160hp cars out there as an example that run radials that will run good numbers Cool

As to the other cars,  there will be a separate class/classes for race cars and people that don't want to do the street car cruise and the format has yet to be decided but a Heads up elimination on sunday is a possibility if there is enough interest  Smiley 

cheers Richie

Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2015, 22:24:15 pm »

As to the other cars,  there will be a separate class/classes for race cars and people that don't want to do the street car cruise and the format has yet to be decided but a Heads up elimination on sunday is a possibility if there is enough interest  Smiley 

cheers Richie
[/quote]
That sounds like a good idea.  Smiley Open to all?

Before you jump, check the depth.
richie

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2015, 22:35:00 pm »

That sounds like a good idea.  Smiley Open to all?

Yep Smiley

cheers Richie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: