The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:28:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  IDF Air Cleaners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IDF Air Cleaners  (Read 1465 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: November 03, 2023, 04:04:00 am »

Anyone have any opinions on the best non-billet air cleaners for IDFs? Don't need a breather hole and am willing to spend some cash, the cheap chrome ones I have are already starting to wear down, though are miles better than the Empi billet ones I had on the car for years that stripped out studs and were generally just a massive hassle.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Dougy Dee

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 13:47:21 pm »

Ive been spoiled by the CB Peformance ones.  Can be had in several configurations.
Karlos99

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 22:23:36 pm »

K&N, have them on the DRLA’s on my bug motor.
Bryan67

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 19:03:09 pm »

Vintage Speed and Flat Four make some nice looking ones. They have an early Porsche style to them. Not sure how efficient they are though.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 22:13:45 pm »

Vintage Speed and Flat Four make some nice looking ones. They have an early Porsche style to them. Not sure how efficient they are though.
Vintage Speed filters are beautifully made and accept K&N filter elements. I had a pair when I was running carbs.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
karmi

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 02:09:41 am »

I use Ram Air Filters

https://www.amazon.de/Ramair-Vergaser-Luftfilter-Grundplatte-Weber-Anschrauben/dp/B08LDTXXPK

https://ramair-filters.co.uk/filters/carburettor-filters/carburettor-foam-air-filter-with-baseplate-to-fit-weber-40-idf-40mm-internal-height/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:15:53 am by karmi » Logged
andrewlandon67

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 17:43:45 pm »

I've definitely looked at both of those, they're a bit pricy but they both look great and seem better built than what I've run in the past. As far as efficiency goes, I have K&N elements so I'm more concerned about just how well they're made and fitment.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 18:24:04 pm »

I've definitely looked at both of those, they're a bit pricy but they both look great and seem better built than what I've run in the past. As far as efficiency goes, I have K&N elements so I'm more concerned about just how well they're made and fitment.
In which case, you won't do better than the VS ones - fit and finish on mine was exemplary.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 20:58:30 pm »

In which case, you won't do better than the VS ones - fit and finish on mine was exemplary.

That's good to know! My only concern with those is that some of the pictures show an upper brace between the uprights that goes right over the velocity stacks, did you have any issues with that?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 23:52:40 pm »

That's good to know! My only concern with those is that some of the pictures show an upper brace between the uprights that goes right over the velocity stacks, did you have any issues with that?
The photo they use is deceiving as the filter element is shown lifted free from the base plate. The brace you mention is actually flush against the top cover, not floating in mid-air over the velocity stacks.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 00:15:39 am »

The photo they use is deceiving as the filter element is shown lifted free from the base plate. The brace you mention is actually flush against the top cover, not floating in mid-air over the velocity stacks.

Awesome, thanks for the info! It might not be immediately but I'll definitely be ordering a pair of those as soon as I can!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: