The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:24:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Camshaft blank question?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camshaft blank question?  (Read 2456 times)
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« on: December 02, 2015, 01:51:49 am »

Another cam thread got me curious about this, so.......

SC-1 is a Scat cam blank, yes?

The "CWC" stamped cam blanks are good ones going on internet myth and rumour, who are they from, anyone know?

Finally, I also have a new cam that I got within the last year from the US, no stampings on the cam apart from an "M4" cast into it, it is also stroker clearanced in the blank (not machined).
Does anyone know this cam in particular?

Thanks in advance.
Dave
wph

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 16:43:52 pm »

" CWC formally Campbell Wyant and Cannon Foundry Co. is the largest supplier of cast iron camshaft blanks in the world "
A quote from 3 years back from the 'net...

Pekka
richie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 18:34:01 pm »

The latest blank I got here has the m4 cast into it, but SC1 almost looks like its stamped into it 180degrees round, it is a pre clearance blank, its a recent Engle supplied cam, they were getting there pre clearanced blanks from Scat for years [ only ones at that time that offered pre clearance blanks I think], not sure if they[ Engle] still do. Is it an Engle grind you have with M4 cast into it?

I have some other cams of varying manufacturer/grinder that have E4 instead of M4 that are older, I think that its just a batch number as they make 1000s at a time

I think up till this point you couldn't pinpoint a particular blank to cam grinder as we have had clay smith cams arrive on those same blanks and all scats cams are on them.

As for CWC, all I know is that's what Webcam use and they are hard and you cant use them with certain brand lifters and are not pre clearance but have a habit of bending when clearanced Roll Eyes

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:22 am »

Gday Ritchie.

Thanks for that info. The latest cam I have with the "M4" is a Schneider cam grind, they were kind enough to grind up something different for me.
Sounds like it's a Scat/Engle-style cam blank then.

The CWC is also a Schneider, but a custom I had ground 3 years ago.

I'm using re-profiled and re-ground stock German lifters (yes, done correctly), hence the questions as I thought there may have a possible compatibility issue.
They actually cost the same as freighting in new CB or Scat lifters, so it's not a cost problem, more just the tried-and-true approach. I've never had an issue with re-done German stockers, or new Moresa Brazil lifters on anything before in the past, but apparently the cam blanks have changed in the last few years, hence the questions.

Thank you.
Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: