The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 13:36:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  new project .....67 street vert pro street style ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: new project .....67 street vert pro street style ?  (Read 27954 times)
thehanz DVK

« on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:26 am »

So trying to make my mind up what direction i want to go with my vert...

would like to go pro mod style i think with 17 inch rear wheel and around 275 -40 rear tires under original wings.

was thinking this could be done with 3 inch shorter axle's and some tubbing , does someone has some directions  Huh Huh

and how much off a tranny raise can be done for a street car ?

picture's off the car will follow  Wink
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 14:09:46 pm by thehanz » Logged

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
richie

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 18:17:18 pm »

You are not going to see anything of mine with 17inch wheels on it Angry Shocked  Wink, but a pro mod or pro street style if done right would look cool, raised and narrowed rear and low front etc, then when you want to go fast later car will be good for it Cheesy Grin

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
thehanz DVK

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 18:56:44 pm »

Ah what do you know About speed  Grin

Would like to try it with 17 inch.  But first find out the narrowing and raising.
Narrowing with 3 inch shorter swing axle's and tubbing , or is there an irs option to ?
And about raising is 1 inch good enough for " the look"  and a bit off lowering.

Power Will be updated blue car box and engine enough to enjoy.

vwcab

peter

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 00:21:05 am »

Seems you are going to build a nice car AGAIN!!!!
Pro street 'vert:daring to be different. Go for it Hans.
 Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
richie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:23:06 am »

Ah what do you know About speed  Grin

Would like to try it with 17 inch.  But first find out the narrowing and raising.
Narrowing with 3 inch shorter swing axle's and tubbing , or is there an irs option to ?
And about raising is 1 inch good enough for " the look"  and a bit off lowering.

Power Will be updated blue car box and engine enough to enjoy.

Swing axle is probably easier, more off the shelf parts available, IRS can be done but some fabricated arms would be best, the factory stuff when drastically narrowed doesn't work so well

Raised is simple enough, just cut the complete torsion off, ready cut raise plates are available and it just needs to be welded back in place higher, 3inches narrower per side involves cutting torsion housing and narrowing, then mixing years with short [67 era] torsion bars and late long spring plates

cheers Richie

thehanz DVK

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 11:56:42 am »

That swing axle narrowing  bit is the simple part it seems , the raising is a bit more scary to me to be honoust
I have seen the 3 inch raising the Way you say but this also means the shifter "bar" is inside the car instead off the chassis....or raise all off that also....Mmhhh
Gonna search a bit more on that raise....

And order the shorter axle's for the no Way back feeling
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 12:05:02 pm by thehanz » Logged

richie

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

Another thing to consider, 3 inch raise means engine wont fit under decklid, and stock shroud might not clear body either. You will do a lot of body cutting to get it all in

I would decide what wheel & tyre to use, get them then measure what you need to do to get them to fit, a lot easier to sell some wheels if you don't think you want to go that route then Smiley

cheers Richie

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 14:59:05 pm »

Just raise it with a bus nosecone, simple enough.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 16:15:08 pm »

My car is 3" narrowed/side and 1" raise with a RLR kit and erco bus nose come.  It can be seen in my build thread "Lickety Split".  I don't know how much lower I would go for any street driving.
richie

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 16:40:49 pm »

But only good enough for 1 inch raise, anymore than that and shift rod is in car

nicolas

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 20:06:24 pm »

if it is in a Richies style, it would be making use of the original parts as much as possible…

and IRS, gas burners, yellow, big turbo and tea stains all over the engine compartment  Roll Eyes

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 20:15:44 pm »

But only good enough for 1 inch raise, anymore than that and shift rod is in car

Sounds perfect to me Smiley

henk

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 23:16:48 pm »

Love your idea,but it takes a brave guy to cut up a '67 vert in to a prostreet racer.

Henk!!!
thehanz DVK

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 13:31:04 pm »

My car is 3" narrowed/side and 1" raise with a RLR kit and erco bus nose come.  It can be seen in my build thread "Lickety Split".  I don't know how much lower I would go for any street driving.

Looks like there is space enough to put more tire under the car , so i think this Will be the Way forward for me also...
And the bus nose cone should work with the berg 5 also , only have to decide off 1" raise is enough then

thehanz DVK

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 13:32:20 pm »

Love your idea,but it takes a brave guy to cut up a '67 vert in to a prostreet racer.

Henk!!!

No cutting up......only improving  Wink

richie

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 13:38:53 pm »

Looks like there is space enough to put more tire under the car , so i think this Will be the Way forward for me also...
And the bus nose cone should work with the berg 5 also , only have to decide off 1" raise is enough then

I got a 8inch[tread width] tyre under stock wing but its really tight, ok on a drag car but didn't like going round corners as tyre as slight sidewall flex ment tyre rubber on springplates

thehanz DVK

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 13:45:02 pm »

Another thing to consider, 3 inch raise means engine wont fit under decklid, and stock shroud might not clear body either. You will do a lot of body cutting to get it all in

I would decide what wheel & tyre to use, get them then measure what you need to do to get them to fit, a lot easier to sell some wheels if you don't think you want to go that route then Smiley

cheers Richie

Didn't realise that at first , and i want the decklid closed , so i think i take the easy Way there to and go for the 1"inch raise..
For wheels a am thinking centerline or Weld , take the size off my grey car en go three inch wider to the outside, because all should move 3 inch back

thehanz DVK

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 13:48:11 pm »

I got a 8inch[tread width] tyre under stock wing but its really tight, ok on a drag car but didn't like going round corners as tyre as slight sidewall flex ment tyre rubber on springplates

8 inch is About 265 or so ....rear wings may be up to an inch wider without looking to far off to original , so 275 must be possible i guess

thehanz DVK

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 14:11:00 pm »

You are not going to see anything of mine with 17inch wheels on it Angry Shocked  Wink, but a pro mod or pro street style if done right would look cool, raised and narrowed rear and low front etc, then when you want to go fast later car will be good for it Cheesy Grin

cheers Richie

Modified  Wink

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 14:14:40 pm »

Berg 5 uses its own type one style nosecone.

richie

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 14:20:12 pm »

cheers Richie

Didn't realise that at first , and i want the decklid closed , so i think i take the easy Way there to and go for the 1"inch raise..
For wheels a am thinking centerline or Weld , take the size off my grey car en go three inch wider to the outside, because all should move 3 inch back

Even 1 inch raise may need decklid open for carb stack clearance, depends on width of engine and intake manifolds

richie

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 14:20:58 pm »

Unless you go turbo of course?  Grin

nicolas

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 14:56:01 pm »

now your talking!

don't forget IRS, yellow, gas burners  Roll Eyes Tongue
thehanz DVK

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 15:26:30 pm »

Maybe a good idea turbo and FI .....also good for the Newton meters

richie

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 15:38:11 pm »

Maybe a good idea turbo and FI .....also good for the Newton meters

you will need something to turn those big wheels and tyres Grin

Chip

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 18:57:46 pm »

Turbo cars don't need 5 speeds  Wink
richie

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 19:25:12 pm »

Turbo cars don't need 5 speeds  Wink
Seconded  Grin

thehanz DVK

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 20:08:02 pm »

So 4 speed with vertigate and turbo FI. Now we are going somewhere
3 inch narrow 1 inch raise...

richie

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 20:52:08 pm »

So 4 speed with vertigate and turbo FI. Now we are going somewhere
3 inch narrow 1 inch raise...

Vertigate for looks then? I find it a pain to drive on road with it but rest sounds like a nice plan for a scary road car Shocked Wink Cool  If you have a bus 5 speed to use that would be fine Cheesy

richie

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 13:44:00 pm »

Was thinking about the 1inch raise some more, all it does is straighten the camber on a swingaxle car that is lower by turning spring plates on torsion bars, no use on a IRS car, the 3 inch raise torsion is a totally different thing, it lowers the car 3 inches and leaves suspension as stock so works better to begin with. Just some more info to take into account Wink

cheers Richie

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: