The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:08:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  69 2276 efi bug
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: 69 2276 efi bug  (Read 62571 times)
baz

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2016, 20:47:30 pm »

I've just realised it's not the complete fuck up I had first thought!  I had been conservative with not going too tight with the deck heights in case my measurements were out a little.
I worked out to leave a little in the cylinders instead of having the piston flush ( copper gaskets in heads).

I mocked up 1+2 and it measured good with about .20mm.  Then tried 3+4 and the piston was hitting the deck height tool.

Had a steak dinner and afterwards realised I might be able to swap 1+2 for 3+4.  Just done that now and I've clearance both sides.
It's less than I wanted and bumps comp up a little but should work?  Will fine tune piston crowns to level things out.

Sorry for the hysterics,  just thought I'd paid for nothing yet again and I hadn't eaten all day!

I will prevail.
Airspeed

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 07:13:11 am »

Excellent news to hear you will finish the engine!
Carry on pls  Smiley

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
baz

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2016, 09:17:32 am »

Excellent news to hear you will finish the engine!
Carry on pls  Smiley

Smiley Too close now to not finish it. Just some headwork needed then rocker set up and it'll be ready to build.

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:37 am »

Good stuff. Steak dinner = finished motor  Grin
baz

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

Good stuff. Steak dinner = finished motor  Grin

Yeah hunger and thinking straight doesn't work. Snickers were right about that  Wink

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2016, 17:30:43 pm »

Bodywork and paint weren't in my plans when I bought the car but I've somehow ended up needing both!  I knew the car needed some patches in the rear arches to pass an most but that was all it needed really.
While the car was sitting in my shed after the engine seize up I got a little carried away and tried fixing the terrible paintjob by attempting to colour sand the runs and grit out. This didn't go too well and I decided to bite the bullet and have it all done properly.

So I started digging at the rust and inevitably found more than I first thought. Overall not bad but needing work. Being the fussy bastard that I am I knew I needed to find genuine panels and a good bodywork man for the job. Luckily I found a good guy 5 minutes from my house which was a result. Then I started gathering the bits of metal needed.

Here's what's needed, all genuine vw metal. I still need a driver side crossmember

The paint was horrible all over the car. Hence the attempt at fixing it.

Some old accident damage that was covered in fillers, Darren is going to metal finish this straight again.

Some of the rusted areas

So as all the good bodywork guys have waiting lists,  I've been waiting a while for Darren to find me some time. It's going to him in a weeks time so he can make a start. It's not going to get done all at once, but hopefully most of the welding will get done on this visit. Then back home for blasting and getting things ready for paint in January.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:39:59 am by baz » Logged

I will prevail.
vwhelmot

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2016, 19:01:08 pm »

That's bugger all work!   Having seen this in the flesh, it's a fantastic shell to start with. Going to be a lovely street car.
baz

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2016, 19:13:02 pm »

That's bugger all work!   Having seen this in the flesh, it's a fantastic shell to start with. Going to be a lovely street car.

Easy for a man of your talents  Wink

Yeah it's a super straight shell and mostly rust free, specially for a car from east coast USA.  I've faith in Darren to give it the care and attention it deserves. Shouldn't be too shabby when he's finished with it. Staying black too   Cool

I will prevail.
beetletom

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2016, 23:52:49 pm »

Good to see your keeping it black ( you won't go back  Grin )

Keeping the trim? Or full on dechromed?
baz

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2017, 11:36:29 am »

Finally we are getting somewhere. I've got Darren for a week or two so should have a solid straight shell soon.

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2017, 15:25:11 pm »

One corner done  Cool

I will prevail.
vwhelmot

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 15:28:25 pm »

Good to see some progress. Looking good mate 
baz

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2017, 15:32:10 pm »

Good to see some progress. Looking good mate 

Thanks mate. Exciting seeing progress at last.

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2017, 16:04:34 pm »

Hi Baz,
Who's doing the work? looks good
Lee
baz

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2017, 16:10:05 pm »

Hi Baz,
Who's doing the work? looks good
Lee

Cheers Lee.  Darren mills is doing it, he's under strict instructions to get it as good as he can  Cheesy

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2017, 17:55:06 pm »

Other side almost done.

I like this idea for closing up that rust trap of a strengthening panel on the crossmember

Should be back from Darren mid week next week.

I will prevail.
Doktor

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 22:12:07 pm »

Baz, you have nice project !  Wink
I've been looking at your project on the Volkszone from the begening, because I like black bugs with wine red interior (I own one just like that).
Your engine is very interesting, hope that I will see it running...

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

dr.aircooled
baz

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2017, 22:19:44 pm »

Baz, you have nice project !  Wink
I've been looking at your project on the Volkszone from the begening, because I like black bugs with wine red interior (I own one just like that).
Your engine is very interesting, hope that I will see it running...

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

Thanks.  Must have a look at yours to remind me what mine should look like Wink  I've got rid of the red interior,  I have racetrim seats now that'll get covered with dark brown tweed eventually.

I'm aiming to have it done for the drag day, there's lots that can go wrong before then but I'll be doing my best to have it ready.

I will prevail.
Doktor

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2017, 21:33:23 pm »

Thanks.  Must have a look at yours to remind me what mine should look like Wink 
[/quote]

Here you go (for inspiration purposes):  https://goo.gl/vF9hLI

dr.aircooled
baz

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:30 pm »

Nice car.  Hopefully mine will look as good shortly.

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2017, 18:31:31 pm »

Time is running out if this is gonna make drag day,  I was hoping to have a month driving it first too, so that's 4 weeks away  Cheesy

Car was away at cotsweld racecars for some work, it's good to deal with guys like Jim,  first class work and none of the bull you get from a lot of others in the game.

Fuel tank modded for phantom stealth pump

Stainless lines to tunnel then stainless lines through the tunnel exiting beside the gearbox nose

Some bracing under the rear luggage tray, will find out if this is effective without being tied into a cage.

Was going to get half cage but changed my mind until after I've used it for a while.  Have mounts ready to go if that happens.

Lastly I had the rear drums machined down 10mm and the stub axle threads lengthened so I could get the axle nut tucked in 10mm, means I can fit the caps without using the spacers I had on it before. Much better looking with the tires tucked under the wings.

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2017, 19:08:25 pm »

Nice work  Grin
vwhelmot

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2017, 20:54:52 pm »

Looking great Baz!
baz

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2017, 22:14:46 pm »

Nothing to do with me,  all Jims doing  Cheesy

I will prevail.
zerocool

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2017, 19:39:09 pm »

That's ace. No dirty great hole in the tunnel butched out for the pipes. Good work there. 8 know where to send my pan now

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Andrew

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2017, 20:47:01 pm »

Nice work, great to see something like this being (re)created.

Andrew
baz

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2017, 22:01:29 pm »

Thanks guys, it's slow going but we're getting there. Paint is on hold as time and finances were too tight to be ready for summer. I'm glad I've held off as I've spent money elsewhere instead on lots of small stuff that's best off done before paint. I'll run it ratty for the summer and so long as the motor works that is  Cheesy

I'm collecting my heads from gac this week, they needed welding as they had the inlet ports opened to match manifolds, and the manifolds then match ported. Alan ran them on the flow bench too so I'll have figures when I see him.

Barrels and pistons have been in machineshop jail for months,  need them to proceed with build. Once they're back I need to mock up to measure piston crown heights and push rod length.
Then it comes apart for piston skimming and balancing and con rod balancing then it's ready to build.

Tight schedule but doable..... I think  Cheesy

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:39 am »

Nowhere near finished still,  but jobs getting ticked off one by one.

Chassis in bare metal from a while back

Tried my hand at panel beating and managed alright, not perfect but hopefully a skim of fillers will finish it nicely

Engine has migrated to my bedroom for the winter, much nicer working indoors. I have had lots of work done on engine parts, I'll post details and pics as I build it up over the next few weeks.

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2019, 17:18:11 pm »

3 years later and I've not finished this yet. Lots of ball ache and lots of money down the drain due to others ineptitude.

Back on it in a big way now and it's ready at last to bolt together

I will prevail.
vwhelmot

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2019, 23:26:06 pm »

Sounds brilliant. Get some pictures up then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: