The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 22:15:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Msd ballast resisitor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Msd ballast resisitor  (Read 4883 times)
henk

« on: February 23, 2016, 15:46:55 pm »

Hallo,

When do you need to use a ballast resistor?
First i tought when you use points with the MSD box,but i try to find a answer to this and it got me confused.
Most of the times i see you don't need it.
So somebody who knows this?

So i have a MSD 6T,blaster coil and a Bosch 010 with contact points.
Do i need to use a resistor then?

Henk!!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 20:13:36 pm »

You should not need the ballast resistor. Your points are just a switch now, for the CDI box. If you were to use the low resistance coil, with no CDI box, then you would need the resistor.

henk

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 22:34:23 pm »

Ok thank you for the answer.

Henk!!!
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 23:44:47 pm »

Assume you don't need the condensor either?
henk

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 13:20:50 pm »

Really,so you think the condensor has to come of as well?

Henk!!!
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 19:15:26 pm »

Really,so you think the condensor has to come of as well?

Henk!!!

That was my thinking I'm going to be running digital 6 plus with an 010 on points and thought the condensor came off as its purpose was to reduce spark at the points. Therefore if just using the points as a switch it's not needed, of course I could be utterly wrong.

Next question is how do you drill a hole in a Bakelite dizzy cap to reduce ionisation 😳
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 20:33:42 pm »

Next question is how do you drill a hole in a Bakelite dizzy cap to reduce ionisation 😳

You don't, you drill a small hole in the plastic plug that feeds the points wire through.  Wink

(PS: or just spray anti-static spray under the cap)
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 00:14:57 am »

Thanks for that I was looking at the pile of dizzy caps wondering how many I'd kill
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 03:39:35 am »

I found that if I go past a gap of .034 on the plugs with my 6AL, the spark gets enough resistance to start cross firing within the cap of my 009. You will most likely need to get an early rotor, or solder a solid copper wire in the rotor to bypass the resistor. I would run a spiral wound plug wire, like from MSD, or Taylor, and non-resistor plugs.
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 16:55:13 pm »

Using 010 with a brass bar fitted in the rotor to remove the resistor, the leads are Magnecor KV85. Plugs are 2 stages colder iridium plugs due to the nitrous.
Spark plug gap to be figured out I guess
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 18:55:03 pm »

I found that if I go past a gap of .034 on the plugs with my 6AL, the spark gets enough resistance to start cross firing within the cap of my 009. You will most likely need to get an early rotor, or solder a solid copper wire in the rotor to bypass the resistor. I would run a spiral wound plug wire, like from MSD, or Taylor, and non-resistor plugs.

Make sure you're using a "215" rotor (last 3 digit of Bosch part number). The later rotor, like for Vanagon, early CIS Rabbit etc., uses a wider contact tip at end of rotor, which can cause cross firing with higher KV ignition, at higher rpm.

I run 009 with NGK D7EA gapped @ 0.060, fired by Crane HI6R CD box and low resistance, high KV coil, Moroso Blue Max wires, no cross firing to 7500. I replaced an MSD 6A with the Crane.
The performance difference between the Crane and old MSD is quite striking. And the proof was in how the plugs looked after a few miles, after changing only the CD box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: