The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:48:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  'TINTED GLASS FOR PRIVACY'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'TINTED GLASS FOR PRIVACY'  (Read 3358 times)
Martin S.

« on: March 11, 2016, 18:30:31 pm »

So I was thinking about this aspect of the Cal-look and wondering what others have done. My bug's glass is all clear all around now, but I like the idea of keeping a little cooler in summer traffic and while parked. We don't have any inspections at all here, and the police ignore me, even with open exhaust probably thinking I'm some funky old dude with a broken muffler so I won't be hassled for tinting front windows if I felt like it. Do you do a heavy tint on the back 3 and none on the front, or a light tint on the sides? What about the windshield? I installed a new 'made in china' front windshield recently on my wife's bug and it had a nice light green tint. Any ideas?

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 18:44:00 pm »

Hello.
CSP sells tinted glassin in some colours, green and smoke. I had a full set of green in my last Mexico Beetle, which was real nice to drive with. If you want "privacy" the smoke option is most likely your choice.

Some years back, like maybe 8 years ago, I had a black ´56 oval in the shop for a new engine. That car had gotten a professional job of tinted windows, with film. darkish on all windows exept the front window. On that there was a "mild black" film, in lack of a better explanation. It yhad no "mirror" effect, so if you got up below say 10-15 m. you could get eye contact with the driver. Further away it was just dark. It was not legal here. Usually I am not into that, but that car was one hot gangsta oval in my book. Dark enough to be cool and light enough to be usable. Maybe Scotch or 3M can help you.

T
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 19:16:37 pm »

I'd like to see a pic of that car! I'll check out the tint/chop shops around here and see what they say are my options. btw, this am I dropped my wife's bug off at our corner VW shop near home to get a little welding done on the floor and Peter there said he had a new rancho IRS trans to install on a customers ghia along with, get this, a 356 engine! What year is this? 1983?  Roll Eyes

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Iryanu

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 19:41:29 pm »

I used to have a limo black on the rear window and then all the sides done in a dark tint. Looking back, it may have been a bit over the top. I had the rear window done professionally (curved glass is a pig for bubbles, you need professional tint film which is a little bit more forgiving and stretches a little). I did the side ones myself as they were flat. Just have to clean the glass within and inch of it's life. I like to use a razor blade held flat to the glass to scrape all the bits off with a good quality glass cleaner. Turned out nice.

I'd just do a light tint all round now, to avoid looking like a drug dealer.  Grin It did mean the inside of the car was very, erm how shall we say? Private at night, when I used to be driving girls around. Did you know the little handle straps on the b-pillars make great stirrups for girls feet to go through? God bless the designers at VW for coming up with that one.

!!!WARNING!!! non cal look picture content. Do not click if easily offended! I was in my drugs phase at the time and heavily in to hotwheels!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/UnmuffledRyan/Bug/001-3.jpg
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 19:44:21 pm by Iryanu » Logged
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 20:44:09 pm »

aha that's what they meant by 'privacy' heh

beetletom

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 13:30:42 pm »

I would like to find a light brown window tint   Shocked
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 14:37:52 pm »

I have a full set of grey tint glass (ie, everything but the windscreen), new and unused, for a 1965-on Bug. Heated rear screen, too. If anyone's interested, let me know. £120...  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: