The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 10:56:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mex seals opinions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mex seals opinions?  (Read 3829 times)
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« on: April 18, 2016, 15:55:30 pm »

Guys!

Looking for opinions on the mex style seals for the front hood and engine lid. Are these preferred over the stock ones on a 67? It does make it look much cleaner and less prone to rust.

I only have on major concern; I really hate it when the gap between the front hood and the car is to big, does these mex seals affect this?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
baz

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 16:39:01 pm »

I hate them.... well you asked for opinions on them Wink just prefer the look of a bug with og seals

They wont affect your shut line, thats down to ill fitting repro panels or poorly aligned or twisted bonnet.

I will prevail.
max Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 18:47:17 pm »

they'll just cause your bonnet to rust instead of the 1/4 panels as the lip will be contantly damp.

i'd always prefer the original style ones as that's what the car came with. I replaced my seal channels and carefully gave the entire length a squirt of waxoil.

smurf67

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 19:00:08 pm »

they'll just cause your bonnet to rust instead of the 1/4 panels as the lip will be contantly damp.

i'd always prefer the original style ones as that's what the car came with. I replaced my seal channels and carefully gave the entire length a squirt of waxoil.

Exactly the process I have done with my car and my last 8years on and no signs of rust...
vwhelmot

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 20:37:56 pm »

Og channel and seals all the way. Fitted properly with blasted metal and weld through primed and sealed afterwards, you won't get any rust issues after.
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 20:39:23 pm »

I have seen a lot of Beetles in Mexico where there is a line of contact on the rear apron where the rubber seal touches.  This line of contact is bare metal  due to the dust that gets between the rubber and the panel.  Beware, Mexico is a very dry dusty country.
Soon after I got my Mexican Beetle, I started to see a dull mark in the clear coat, foreshadowing the above wear.  Since my car is red, I laid on a strip or red electrical tape at the point of contact.  The colour match of the tape is so good, few people even notice it!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 00:35:26 am »

No! I used them once, never again!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
broen messiaen

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 06:01:25 am »

I will use the originals instead of the mex
my idea against rust would be to glue them instead of welding them.
that way the complete surface is protected by the glue and the glue that will come out can be used to seal the lip
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:41:15 am »

Thanks guys! I will keep the originals than which are in good condition.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sam K

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 19:26:26 pm »

I installed them on my '67. No complaints.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: