The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:10:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  What's your favourite Cam and Head combo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's your favourite Cam and Head combo  (Read 4305 times)
fish

« on: April 28, 2016, 12:32:44 pm »

In a street combo 1835cc sweep the floor engine V26 with welded, massaged 040 heads, 40/35, 9:1, match ported, all balanced and lightened, 13lb flywheel, 45 Dells.

Driving back home on a cool late evening cruising on Sydney's M4 motorway in a Honey Brown 68' IRS/BJ bug, T bars, flared rear guards filled by 8" wide stockies and 145 fronts.

Not many cars on the motorway while in the rear view mirror i see some headlights approaching fast. Guy pulls up next to me in a white Mazda RX3 rotary. As he slows down to 90kmh, I can hear the familiar whirr and flutter of a large turbo. Windows down the bug is comparatively quiet against the buzz and squeal of the rotary, both cars are nose down ready for a rumble. He double clutches, brings the revs up and lights them up. I stay with him to watch the high speed burn out probably reaching 120 in a short squirt. Knowing I can't beat him on boost i slow right down in third with slight crest coming up. He follows suit and slows down with me, I can hear the rotary fart and backfire. As soon as we are nose to nose I throw second and punch the roller pedal through the floor. The beetle leaps forward and launches like a bull seeing red. 6500, 7000 up the crest I reach for third, look over to my right and I see an empty lane, I glance in the rear view and sure enough his lights are fading, torque vs turbo lag baby. By the time he catches up i have shifted into forth and are now approaching instant loss of license so I exit on the next off ramp, surprisingly i find myself next to the RX3 at the set of lights on the exit while the guy points to the KFC on the side of the road. We both pull into the car park and let the cars rumble at idle. He gets out of the RX3, comes over to the bug, pulls out his wallet and flashes his Police ID. He then shakes his head, puts the wallet back into his pocket, strains a smile on his face and offers me his hand. Nuff said.

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
spanners

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 16:13:15 pm »

Nice factual tale fish, Turbo guys have one track minds😉, I been there, so don't neg me please, tho I do miss the challenge of racing a turbo, to go real quick, it WILL be laggy, I'm producing power and on it for 70% of a lap, not so the turbo guys, all that waiting don't half get frustrating, I now delight in the instant throttle response and torque of a big atmo motor, the real world facts are my 200 carb hp, beats 300 hp turbos easy, more still a  piece of cake in the rain when even my atmo torque can be embarrassing. This is my OKRASA 2.5 Wasserboxer, turbo motor originally built and stressed to 550 hp for Rallycross, now de turbo'd and re cammed, longer and lighter rods used to up the c.r to 10.2 with 'only' web 86c, dual 48dells, Rev ceiling 7500. Grin

Best regards, spanners.
Joel Mohr

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 16:45:55 pm »

Great story!

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
dangerous

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 23:40:14 pm »

V26 is my favourite flat tappet cam for sure!  Wink
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 16:25:51 pm »

I think I have two favorites from day gone by

My old Pauter B heads, 40 x 35.5 not welded, small oval intakes, 49cc chambers done on 040 castings, from 1989-90, with Engle 125

My old Jeff Denham "sideways D" 44 x 37.5 with Web 86C

Both ran crisp from off idle to the moon, with no bogs or holes. Wish I still had these parts at my disposal.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:53:43 am »

Thjere are a few very nice combo´s. One of my favourites is a 2260 type 4, Web 86b/86c, 44/38 valves, 10-1, good SVDA distributor, 45 Dells etc etc. Pulls 180 hp all day with massive torque, easy to drive. Left lane cruiser and grocery getter.

T
fish

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:09:31 am »

What heads did you run on the type 4 Torben

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 18:35:51 pm »

I usually start with "S" heads because they are the least work.  "E" heads work well to, but needs a little more work. E heads actually have a better port shape than S heads. So they can flow really well with a lesser port.
Even bus heads can be used, but requires more work again.

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: