The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:56:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The Karmann Slinga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Karmann Slinga  (Read 5305 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: July 21, 2008, 19:49:57 pm »

Sling and I have been driving past this '67 Ghia for years on our trips out to California. It was sitting about a hundred yards off the highway in Salome, AZ, a teensy little desert town out in the middle of nowhere. On the way back from Bug-In last April we decided to stop and have a look see, no one was home, so Slinger left a note on the door. Long story short, Slinger made a good deal and we drove my Tundra out to go pick it up last Saturday.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 20:03:10 pm »

The car is in extremely good shape, only a small bit of damage behind the right front tire. The nose is clean, the pan is solid. There is a spot of rust in the left rear corner, but that is it. This thing is really dry. The trim holes and badges were welded up, and they will stay that way Smiley It came with fiberglass bumpers which will be eventually replaced with real steel ones, but other than that the car is complete. I tossed out the old nasty carpet, and we gave her a good high pressure bath to wash off the years of desert dust- it hasnt been registered since '97. The motor looks to be the original H case single port with old Thunderbird dual QP's, Slinger drained the oil and we will try and revive it. The trans mounts are busted, so since it has to come out anyway, we decided we will plug the Berg5 in its place Cool Hey Sling, we might as well throw on those single port Kadrons and an 010 while the motor is out, eh? We will tackle the suspension first, make it a driver, then take it from there. Check out the old sticker I found, it's a survivor Smiley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:30:57 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 20:51:12 pm »

VERY friggin' COOL! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:52:05 am »

Nice score!
Mario/DKT

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:20 am »

Looks like an easy project... cool  Cool

smurf67

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:21:51 am »

Only ever found rusty wreaks on my travels but that looks really clean great find.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:08:55 pm »

Nice car! I trust we will see a Pink/magenta "ECG" line down the sides before long?!  Cool
And fully polished fuchs!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:11:08 pm by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:36:02 pm »

Congo rats on the score! Should make a nice looker.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
SlingShot

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:31:08 am »

Thanks for the props guys. Like Zach said the 5 spd will hopefully go in soon. If the engine is in fair shape I will drive the piss out of it untill I get the funds for new rubber and paint. Don't want to get to ahead of my self so I will leave it at that, and as always updates will be posted here first  Cool

Will Race For Beer !!!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 18:29:30 pm »

Awseome Project.

Done ? Not Yet.
kev d

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 19:16:28 pm »

Cool find! Cool

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 18:12:23 pm »

Sling and I pulled the motor a couple weekends ago, and cleaned up the engine compartment a bit. The motor was missing a bunch of tin, and most of the stuff that was there was either wrong, or completely butchered. We scrounged around for a bit, and got almost everything. Blasted the tin, and gave it a new satin black coat of paint.
When I pulled the valve covers, I noticed that the #3 intake pushrod had popped out of the rocker. When Slinger tried to bolt it back together, he saw that the intake valve was stuck part way open Sad Eventually the heads came off, and it is a good thing they did. Number 1 piston was in bad shape. Oil ring was almost completely gone, 2nd ring was busted into a dozen pieces. They were the original VW 83mm in there. The case has a 211.... part number, so my guess is that it came out of a '69 Bus- but I could be wrong! So some new 85.5s will go in... eventually. This project will only be worked on when we don't have anything to do on the 2276 for the black car.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 19:39:20 pm »

So some new 85.5s will go in... eventually.

Nevermind that. Stock engine will be put out to pasture....

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: