The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 20:18:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Berg crank prices
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Berg crank prices  (Read 8620 times)
leec

« on: March 25, 2016, 23:53:36 pm »

Hi guys,

Saw this advert on thesamba, got me thinking will anyone actually pay that for a berg crank?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1908677

When I visited Bergs last year Dee told me they have loads of forged blanks that need machining but they can't find anyone to do it for a reasonable cost.

Not slagging off the advert, just thought it was worth seeing what you guys thought?

Lee
richie

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 00:06:26 am »

Lee did you actually read the advert? its not just a crank, its for a berg crank, set of carrillos and a case set up for it, expensive yes but will it sell? yes I think so

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
leec

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 00:13:55 am »

Lee did you actually read the advert? its not just a crank, its for a berg crank, set of carrillos and a case set up for it, expensive yes but will it sell? yes I think so

cheers richie

No just looked at pictures Smiley
I get its a package but it shocked me at first. Maybe I  wrong to think it was expensive then
richie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 00:27:41 am »

cheers richie

No just looked at pictures Smiley
I get its a package but it shocked me at first. Maybe I  wrong to think it was expensive then

So how much is the crank? your post seemed to indicate that was the price for it only so thought you missed the rest Wink

I believe he wants $2500 for the case, $2500 for the rods, $500 for the bearings and only $500 for the crank so to me the crank is cheap  Shocked Cheesy   Before people go emailing Gary to buy the crank at that price it was a joke so dont Wink

But seriously how much is something that you cant buy worth? there are less berg cranks come up for sale than real BRMs so BRMs are common? and look at the price of them Huh  Just an example

cheers Richie

leec

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 00:36:40 am »

I guess this was the kind of reply/debate I was hoping for  Smiley

I'd love to know hat other goodies he has stashed away

Lee
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 01:20:23 am »

Gene, Gary, and Clyde Berg have forgotten more about Aircooled VW's than I will ever know, but I just don't see it. Sure you may not be able to buy that specific crank anymore, but you can certainly buy one of that quality from someone like Moldex, or Bryant. That's about the only thing of that combo that is NLA, correct? There aren't too many engines I would use a Mag case for either. Richie, you recently obtained a high end crank, rod set, and case recently, do you mind sharing what you have invested in the parts?

I'm simply not one to have "that part" on my car because I'm nostalgic, and it was cutting edge 30 years ago, made by "that person". Especially when there is a modern/current available replacement that is an equivilant, or better at a price that isn't adjusted for the 30 year NLA factor.
richie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:12:17 am »

Seems he has more than one to sell

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1909748

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 15:06:43 pm »

That's an extremely rare package, especially in 90mm.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 18:20:59 pm »

Gene, Gary, and Clyde Berg have forgotten more about Aircooled VW's than I will ever know, but I just don't see it. Sure you may not be able to buy that specific crank anymore, but you can certainly buy one of that quality from someone like Moldex, or Bryant. That's about the only thing of that combo that is NLA, correct? There aren't too many engines I would use a Mag case for either. Richie, you recently obtained a high end crank, rod set, and case recently, do you mind sharing what you have invested in the parts?

I'm simply not one to have "that part" on my car because I'm nostalgic, and it was cutting edge 30 years ago, made by "that person". Especially when there is a modern/current available replacement that is an equivilant, or better at a price that isn't adjusted for the 30 year NLA factor.

Totally agree.  One hundred percent. 
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 18:30:29 pm »

If you don't like the price don't buy it. It's pretty simple
richie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 18:38:27 pm »

Merlin? think that's its name

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 18:51:43 pm »

Merlin? think that's its name

Wasn't the Merlin motor a 90mm crank and 96mm pistons? The one that was in the black car when it was running in the early 90s?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Joel Mohr

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 18:57:04 pm »

Yup!

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
karl h

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 22:22:57 pm »

i thought it was a 94 stroke...

leec

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 23:30:06 pm »

94mm crank and 95mm pistons after a quick search on here Smiley
SlingShot

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 19:47:25 pm »

There were less than a dozen of those cranks made. Go big or go home ;-)

Will Race For Beer !!!
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 01:03:44 am »

There were less than a dozen of those cranks made. Go big or go home ;-)

The 90's, or the 94's? The 94 must of had a Rabbit journal, or you would have had to cut the cam in half.
Joel Mohr

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 03:16:34 am »

Ya, I meant the name was right...I don't remember the combo, but 94 x 95 does sound right...

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
karl h

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 06:08:20 am »

a very rare two piece ARPM case was used with a cam drop, no rabbit yournal, that would have flexed like hell. think it was a 53mm porsche yournal

gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 13:21:23 pm »

a very rare two piece ARPM case was used with a cam drop, no rabbit yournal, that would have flexed like hell. think it was a 53mm porsche yournal

And the 94 with 53mm journals isn't going to flex? Doesn't seem very Berg like not to use a Genuine VW Case. That must have been a pretty big cam drop with some pretty thin rod caps.
alex d

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 14:34:28 pm »

looks like it was working "well enough" back in the day http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3247.0.html  Wink

Trent B

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 20:00:18 pm »

Hi guys,

Saw this advert on thesamba, got me thinking will anyone actually pay that for a berg crank?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1908677

When I visited Bergs last year Dee told me they have loads of forged blanks that need machining but they can't find anyone to do it for a reasonable cost.

Not slagging off the advert, just thought it was worth seeing what you guys thought?

I thought Gary did the crankshaft grinding...(?) I'm glad to hear they have them though, I would definitely buy one.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: