The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:39:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BRM 50th anniversary gathering @ Classic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: BRM 50th anniversary gathering @ Classic  (Read 17163 times)
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« on: May 26, 2016, 02:14:03 am »

Well its been 50 years since these goofy old wheels have been wearing out our fingertips.  DKP is putting together a gathering of OG BRM's for Classic Sunday. So if you have a car with a set on it , or a loose set or single , or even a lugnut, bring it on out & lets get them all in 1 place again. If you know the history of your wheels go ahead & write it down on something so we can figure out where they have been.  I will bring the Mothers & steel wool & hope to see you there. Any ?? you can pm through the Lounge.   Thanks Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
nlvtinman

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 13:02:58 pm »

Hi Bill,  BRM's 50 years old...doesn't that seem to place our Cal Look  interests into perspective!  It'll be quite a feat, but extremely interesting to see how this plan turns out.  Check your PM for a note from me concerning my wheels.
Steve
max Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 16:07:04 pm »

Sounds great, sorry I can't be there, but i expect to see plenty of pics on here !! Smiley
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:31:53 am »

I will bring the Mothers & steel wool & .....
Wow, that's some dedication, offering to polish other guy's wheels!  I suspect Bill's generosity will wear off mid way through the first wheel.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 16:50:31 pm »

I will bring the Mothers & steel wool & .....
Wow, that's some dedication, offering to polish other guy's wheels!  I suspect Bill's generosity will wear off mid way through the first wheel.
Uhhh no, the supplies will be present.

Eddy Merckx
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 22:57:38 pm »

It would be great if a list of all the BRMs both present and not could be compiled, with all known history. Russell owns a few sets, and we know the set on Tar Babe also spent some time on Bad Company, Ernie Mohlman's and Dave Rhoads' cars wear the same ones that they always have, but it would be great to work out where the other wheels have been. Did the wheels that Andy Marriott had, that he said he found some metallic blue paint on, once see service on the second Underdog?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 04:05:27 am »

It would be great if a list of all the BRMs both present and not could be compiled, with all known history. Russell owns a few sets, and we know the set on Tar Babe also spent some time on Bad Company, Ernie Mohlman's and Dave Rhoads' cars wear the same ones that they always have, but it would be great to work out where the other wheels have been. Did the wheels that Andy Marriott had, that he said he found some metallic blue paint on, once see service on the second Underdog?
That's the idea, most of the wheels in So Cal have been on a famous car at 1 point in time, it would be cool to try to figure it out.

Eddy Merckx
Jos

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:48:43 am »

I'm taking donations for anyone who can't make classic. Cheesy you're not getting them back though. Shocked
RockStock

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 16:47:27 pm »

Great job to do a 60th anniversary BRM Gathering...unfortunately I won't be there. Lots of pics please.

I know a little about the provenance of my set, & former owners include Cursley, Fleet, Bliven, & Palmer. Would be good to see a rough 'BRM Tree' sketched out!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 16:49:49 pm by RockStock » Logged
cedric

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 16:31:33 pm »

I will be there....
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 17:51:35 pm »

My neighbor is a VW guy from the '60s and '70s, and one of his pals had BRMs, here in central Pennsylvania. More than a full set, of course, since at least one of them broke ... anyhow ... he remembers when his pal sold them to someone nearby, but they were never seen again. I often wonder if they're still around, hiding in a basement or garage.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 18:21:06 pm »

My neighbor is a VW guy from the '60s and '70s, and one of his pals had BRMs, here in central Pennsylvania. More than a full set, of course, since at least one of them broke ... anyhow ... he remembers when his pal sold them to someone nearby, but they were never seen again. I often wonder if they're still around, hiding in a basement or garage.
You never know.... Thats the fun part. The nos wheel I had about 20 yrs ago came out of Hershey or Carlisle Pa.

Eddy Merckx
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 14:26:06 pm »

[You never know.... Thats the fun part. The nos wheel I had about 20 yrs ago came out of Hershey or Carlisle Pa.

I live in Hershey and would love to hear this story. Coming out for the Classics, maybe I'll wait to hear it in person ... if I can stand to wait!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
richie

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 17:52:08 pm »

2 Blue ones[discovered by Marc Bhueler when starting to restore some he bought for his split if I remember correct] are with UD2 now, Dave's car has 6 inc the 2 with slicks, Lee Leighton car has 4 and there might be a couple of extras up their but the real stash of them is with Ghia Steff

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:43 am »

My Brm display at home
Bill i need one dkp t-shirt Brm édition

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 02:41:05 am »

Damn Fred, you're sick!  Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Hecker

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 06:43:17 am »

I have a picture of the old red 67 with 21 inside, I cannot get it to post.

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:11:17 am »

Thanks zach
Fiatdude

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 19:21:03 pm »

This guy has you beat Fred

Tried to upload a picture and system crashed -- had to dump to photobucket to get it here

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
mg

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 23:47:04 pm »

working now?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 23:47:32 pm »

This guy has you beat Fred

Tried to upload a picture and system crashed -- had to dump to photobucket to get it here

That might look cheap in 40 years Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
mg

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 00:00:31 am »

otherside was all D spokes, very nice.  Cool

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 00:39:42 am by mg » Logged
marc1951

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 17:07:38 pm »

2 Blue ones[discovered by Marc Bhueler when starting to restore some he bought for his split if I remember correct] are with UD2 now, Dave's car has 6 inc the 2 with slicks, Lee Leighton car has 4 and there might be a couple of extras up their but the real stash of them is with Ghia Steff

cheers Richie

Because of my involvement with the car and the  money I invested in the Underdog, I ended up with 2 of the blue wheels when the car was retired.  I don't remember what happened to the other 2. I traded Richie the wheels for a couple of other BRMs restored by Schwimmer. I feel I made out on that trade because the 'dog' wheels were in poor condition, being on a race car and all. Besides the 2 Schwimmer wheels, I have 5 other BRMs I bought or traded for in the early Seventies.  I had 2 more that I sold to a friend in the late Seventies for $50 each, which is the price they sold for new and was the going price for used ones for years.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 16:09:42 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
max Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 16:25:53 pm »

out of interest does any one know how many were made? or sold vis Empi? i had friends who worked for speedwell in London but none remember selling the wheels. the guages were the favourite back in the day.
Russell

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 23:01:45 pm »

Not sure how i missed this but never mind, decided to check and i have them on the following cars;

Arnies 4 plus 1 spare
Dave R 4 plus 2 with slicks
Tarbabe 4
My cal look 57 4
UD2 blue 2
Lee leighton 4
not fitted 4
and 2 NOS

Grand total of 30 !!!

Best Regards

Russell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 07:20:51 am »

Whaou !
Nice list
vwhelmot

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:10 am »

Nice list
richie

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:30 am »

Not sure how i missed this but never mind, decided to check and i have them on the following cars;

Arnies 4 plus 1 spare
Dave R 4 plus 2 with slicks
Tarbabe 4
My cal look 57 4
UD2 blue 2
Lee leighton 4
not fitted 4
and 2 NOS

Grand total of 30 !!!

I thought there are more than that, unless you actually counted them all?
From memory UD1 had a set, and UD2 had 4 plus the 2 blue ones from Marc, thought Tar babe had 9[ 4 we shipped it with, 4 originals from Roger and the 1 that split when we had slick put on it over in USA and 57 had 5, the really dark looking NOS one as spare?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
vwhelmot

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 11:31:10 am »

1 that split?  Bet that was not a good day!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: