The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:20:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Anyone using 944 rear brakes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone using 944 rear brakes?  (Read 2307 times)
kev d

« on: June 21, 2016, 09:01:39 am »

Looking for some caliper advice..
I've got early 944 steel trailing arms & discs on my 56, on another forum I was advised later calipers were the ones to go for so I bought some & they didn't fit as the bolt spacing was wider on the caliper.
I was then assured that early 944 / 924s front calipers were the ones to use as they fit & gave the best brake balance front to rear, I got some & they don't fit as the bolt spacing is narrower!
Can anyone with actual knowledge on what works help? Cool
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
karl h

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 20:17:51 pm »

i use 944 rears from an early car. i use my narrowed trailing arms with the complete stock porsche setup. porsche 944 trailing arms are the same part as a bug trailing arm short of the inner bushing. the porsche bushing can be pressed out and a bug bushing that uses the 17mm allen-head screw pressed in.
i just had to modify the parking brake cable a bit.
in front i use custom drop spindles that mexx made me with 996 aluminum brembo calipers. i still have the 944 front calipers and the spindles and want to use them on my split bus for custom drop spindles

kev d

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 21:55:55 pm »

Hi Karl,
So you have Porsche calipers all round then?
Which master cylinder do you use, stock vw?
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
karl h

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:05:00 am »

yes, porsche all around
i used the stock drum brake m/c with no adverse effect .the whole thing is in parts just now, because i stripped the oval of all custom parts before selling it. when i assemble the new pan i will use a disc brake Type 3 m/c (just because i have a new one)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: