The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 21:39:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Placement of temp and pressure sender
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Placement of temp and pressure sender  (Read 3342 times)
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« on: September 17, 2016, 15:22:30 pm »

Hi guys,

For my project '67 i'm looking at the placement of the temperature and pressure sender. I was thinking of putting them both in the rear fenderwell where the oil filter will be located.The temp sender I want to locate in the oil filter adapter.

The pressure sender I want to use this style fitting so the sender can be screwed on this.

Would this be a good location to measure temp and pressure? I think the senders etc will be ok for any waterspray if I would drive in the rain.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
leec

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 16:06:24 pm »

I have always put a pressure sender very close to where the stock one was, for no other reason except that's where vw chose to measure it from. Are you trying to keep the engine bay 'clean' of fittings/sender?
Lee
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 16:24:03 pm »

I have always put a pressure sender very close to where the stock one was, for no other reason except that's where vw chose to measure it from. Are you trying to keep the engine bay 'clean' of fittings/sender?
Lee

Yes to keep the engine bay clean but the org sender for the light will stay in place.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 16:44:06 pm »

I've got oil pressure right before the filter holder.

Temp in the sump.

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
richie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 18:41:33 pm »

Hi Jesse,

I have pretty much what you describe on both white 67 and old cabrio & works well, only thing that may affect it is if you got remote oil cooler after filter? with what you describe you will measure hot oil from sump rather than what bearings will see if you are using extra cooler. I don't worry about this to much as just use temp as a guide to what is going on rather than as actual temp. I use mechanical oil pressure gauge rather than electric as its more reliable and gives better reading

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:50 am »

Hi Jesse,

I have pretty much what you describe on both white 67 and old cabrio & works well, only thing that may affect it is if you got remote oil cooler after filter? with what you describe you will measure hot oil from sump rather than what bearings will see if you are using extra cooler. I don't worry about this to much as just use temp as a guide to what is going on rather than as actual temp. I use mechanical oil pressure gauge rather than electric as its more reliable and gives better reading

cheers Richie

Thanks Richie. I will be using a sandwich plate to feed the oil cooler. So I will measure the temperature of the oil going to the engine.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 19:23:43 pm »

Hi Jesse,

cheers Richie

i have a temperature sensor on top of the oilfilter, that has worked for me for years. and yes it does measure the temp when hot, but it also is a indication of the oil getting hotter. and like Richie pointed out. these measurements are in a lot of cases just a 'gestimate' or 'educated guess'. i know what mine needs to read to be OK. i have learned it from years using the same gauge. but i would rather rely on oilpressure if i had to chose one above the other. it is electrical and the same applies, you have to learn to see what it does.
i have never fitted a mechanical one, so i can't comment on that.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: