The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 13:23:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Not Cal Look ACVW Content :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Not Cal Look ACVW Content :)  (Read 26178 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: September 02, 2016, 01:40:08 am »

My new short term project. This thing makes me giggle Smiley You wouldn't believe the looks I got towing this thing home. People were really freaking out over it.

It's a 1969 Westy. Last June when I bought the 65 split in north west Oregon I headed over to the Woodburn VW event immediately to try and flip it quick. That didn't happen but I did buy some junk at the swap meet, notably a set of early 60's Porsche steelies from a guy named Robert. Looking the wheels over I noticed that 3 of the 4 were original, the other was a Brazilian knock off... So I asked him where the other wheel was and he was like, "Aww, fuck, man, shit. It must be back at my place in Eugene" (two hours south). So now I've got to figure out how to get this last wheel because what fucking good is 3 out of 4? (shipping wasn't an option for this guy). So three weeks later I drove back down to Oregon to pick up the 71 deluxe sunroof (the one that I just sold), and decided to head down to Eugene to swap the knock off wheel for the OG Porsche one (he needed to keep one for a spare). It's a long trip to swap a wheel but I was hoping he would have more junk that he wanted to get rid of. All he had was this beat up Westy. He was looking to sell but I was not at all interested. The body is pretty well fucked, it has ugly ass wheels with way too much positive offset, and some terrible front highback seats that look like they are out of a 90's Honda. On the bright side it is a factory camper, lifted, with a fresh 1776 dual Kadron engine that fired right up with a twist of the key. Anyway I took a few pics of it just for shits and giggles, and headed back north to grab the 71 and make my way home.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 01:41:48 am »

Meanwhile back home, I'm working on getting the 65 Split cleaned up. It was rolling on a set of crows foot bus 15's when I bought it, I planned on swapping some other rollers on there and selling the 15's separately. And this is where it all went wrong... I knew the bus 15's were exactly what this Westy needed too loose the roller skate backwoods redneck hillbilly trailer trash look. So I found some cheap rollers at Vintage Meet and pulled the crows foot rims off.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:47:41 am »

At this point I'm not 100% down with buying the Westy, but it's a real possibility. I had been texting Robert occasionally and feeling him out on a price. He was way too high. But I know if I can get him way down on price that it could happen, and he seemed eager to move it. One night in late July I'm chilling out watching TV and looking at Facebook and a post comes up from another guy named Zach who had some FREE bay window parts just up north in Mount Vernon. He had front walk through seats, rear bench, drivers door and a 72+ repop dogleg. Free, just had to pick it up! The original upholstery was in decent shape, and as a bonus it was the same color as the 71 sunroof had originally. Now I've got a game plan: swap the free seats into the 71 (increasing its value), keep the haggard 71 walk through seats and potentially swap them into the lifted Bay (if I can make a deal). Now I've got two issues "fixed" on a bus I don't even own yet, front seats and wheels. By this time I'm really seeing the potential in the Westy and I want to make a deal happen.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:51:29 am »

So like I said, by this time I'm really wanting to make a deal happen. I'm geeking out researching lifted bays, seeing how big of a tire I can jam under there with the Wagenswest lift spindles and lift plates in the rear. So I go to wagenswest.com to learn more, and I find the page on custom lifted spindles (and damn, they are not cheap):
http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/ind ... ndles.html
Ohh cool, there's a video. I click on it and realize that HOLY SHIT, THAT'S THE EXACT BUS I'M TRYING TO BUY!
https://vimeo.com/126189297

Now I'm fucked. I want it really bad. But I'm not going to make a dumb deal, I'm thinking about half of what he was asking. So two weeks ago I list the 71 for sale and start working on Robert. I ask him again what he wants and now he's a LOT lower. We're getting closer! I give him my offer and we settle at just over half of what he originally wanted. Short story long, now I've got a stupid lifted Westy that won't even fit in my garage Smiley The girlfriend hates it, so that confirms it is very good. My goal is to take it camping at least once before the summer is out. It needs a lot of love to make that happen though.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:03:09 am »

Yesterday I get started with a little work. I should do more important things, like figure out why the ignition won't turn the engine over all of the sudden Roll Eyes but I want to see the potential in this thing to get me excited. So I have the local tire shop pull the tires off the bus wheels and I knock out all of the factory clips in preparation for black powder coating. After new clips go in I'll shoot some white over the faces so it looks very close to original. Then tires... 30x9.50's in the rear and 235/75's up front. The goal is to have this thing look mostly stock, just a LOT bigger Cheesy

I also removed the horrible high back seats...

.. and swapped in the stock seats I kept from the 71. I'll reupholster them eventually.

alex d

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 13:17:01 pm »

definitely not cal look! still pretty cool tho! don't forget to post pictures of the new wheel combo!
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 18:48:07 pm »

Nice, can't wait to see more (:

Bryan67

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 00:11:54 am »

Maybe not yours, but my girlfriend would love it. She`s still mad about me selling my 68.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 02:35:51 am »

Going to look good with that wheel/tyre  combo and the lift.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 15:32:39 pm »

Thanks guys Smiley I'd love to have it good enough to take camping once before the season is over, but the more I look at it the more work I see. The end goal is to pass it on and make a little bit of profit, so I can't get too carried away. It will be a careful balance.

bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 06:47:54 am »

dude, let me know next time you're in a spot with parts in the Eugene area.... I could have totally helped you snag that last wheel, happily, since I'm right here in Eugene.  Grin
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »

dude, let me know next time you're in a spot with parts in the Eugene area.... I could have totally helped you snag that last wheel, happily, since I'm right here in Eugene.  Grin

Ohh that's right! I totally forgot you live there. But if I did that then some other unlucky soul would have ended up with this pile Cheesy

Do you recognize it? I stopped for fuel in Eugene before heading back and the gas station attendants knew about it.

bugnut68

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 19:06:35 pm »

Sadly, no I don't... I have to get back up to speed in the local VW scene since I was gone for years.  I'm still thrilled with my $800 Craigslist buy '74 standard Bug.  ha ha
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:15 am »

Wheels back from powder coat. Waiting on hubcap clips to arrive from WW. I'll shoot the faces in white just like original.

I also sold the 65 bus, delivering it tomorrow Smiley Time to order tires!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 04:45:33 am »

Finally got to work on my wheels today, turning powder coat back to powder. The "fine" foam sanding block worked pretty well. A couple of these wheels were fairly pitted, blocking them down smoothed them out pretty well. Next time I do this I'll hit it with the coarse block first, then the fine. But for this rig they'll be perfect. Tomorrow I'll install the clips and it's mounting time!

RichardinNZ

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 05:53:59 am »

Those tyres look mean...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:54 am »

It was a good day for the Westy. Woke up and took the wheels and tires straight over to Les Schwab. I wasn't back home for a half an hour when they called for me to pick them up. Rad! Started with a photo opportunity. 30x9.50's on the left, 235/75 center, worn 215/75 on the right.

These coil over shocks were fucking miserable. This is at full droop, once on the ground the coils would bind and bottom out over a fucking penny. They were adjustable, but there was no adjustment left. Way too long. Rode like garbage.

I knocked those out and bolted in a set of KYB Gas Adjusts. I've said in the past that I would never use these shocks on an ACVW again, but for this application they are perfect. They'll control the weight of the tires (36lbs each, without wheels), and since the tires are so big in diameter and the sidewalls are so fat the ride quality will still be very good. I also got a set for the rear, then I realized I was a dummy and needed much longer ones to compensate for the lift Roll Eyes But I got a lucky break, the rear shocks are yellow- I cleaned them up and saw they are Bilstein's! Fuck yeah! So I'll save the rear KYB's for the next one, no big deal, got lucky there.
I bolted the wheels up, and took it for a test drive. Everything seems to clear Cool STOKED!! But the CV's click like fucking crazy. So bad that it sounds like shit is going to break in a BAD way. So I'm looking for a solution... The boots are all torn to shit, so I'm thinking just replace the axles with some longer ones? I got taller rear tires #1) because they would fit and #2) because I can lower the rear, keep the bus level, and reduce CV angle. Will longer axles help my situation or do I need to do something with the CV's?? Huh  Anyway, checked the wheel torque again and snapped the caps on.

Then I putzed around the bus cleaning up and fixing little things. I found the missing passenger seat mount behind the closet (yes!), removed the bra, the driving lights, and just bounced all over the bus fixing and cleaning up little shit. It was a good day. I'll get some better pics in the morning.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:42:19 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 18:54:15 pm »

As promised. I think the angle of the driveway shows more rake than is actually there.

A little before & after

I think this is what the kids call "hella flush" these days.

Brian Rogers

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 19:10:25 pm »

Looking good Zack! I always admire your enginuity and craftsmanship.
Andrew

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 08:34:42 am »

Looks a fun bus. Amazing to see one raised, folk in the UK usually slam them so low they're sitting on their arse. Nice! Did you say the CV boots are split, won't that mean the CV will be knackered anyway, regardless of the height change?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:42:10 am by Andrew » Logged
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 13:44:56 pm »

Looking good Zack! I always admire your enginuity and craftsmanship.

Please don't judge my ingenuity and craftmanship on this pile!! Cheesy Thanks though. It makes me consider how I'd build something similar if I was to do it from the start. This will be greatly improved but far, far from perfect.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 14:01:00 pm »

Looks a fun bus. Amazing to see one raised, folk in the UK usually slam them so low they're sitting on their arse. Nice! Did you say the CV boots are split, won't that mean the CV will be knackered anyway, regardless of the height change?

It's fun to do something different Smiley I would usually go a mild lowering route, but it's cool to try the opposite. You also learn a lot different things that make you a better mechanic.
You could be right on the CV's, that makes sense. They make so much noise now that I can't imagine they are still in useable condition anyway. That's why these just showed up in the mail the other day, high angle off road 002-091 CV and boot kit. These have 25° of travel vs 17° of the factory CV's. Hopefully that does the trick.
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/type2-offroad-cv-kit.html
If the axles still need to be longer I'm considering adding some of these between the stub axles and CV's.
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac501920gr.html

I installed new rear engine mounts the other day and I've got a muffler on the way (amongst a thousand other little jobs) so hopefully in the next week it will be driveable. There's a show on the 15th that I'd love to take it to.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 14:35:40 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Brian Rogers

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 02:52:25 am »

Ugly has its own quaintness. You make it functional. Like the big tires on stock wheels. As the proud new owner of a plated Westy without the interior. I should say congrats on the purchase and new project. Mine is being used for the wife's deli and catering. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Pic is during the wrapping. This is the only way I had for a new air cooled VW. I might get to hot rod it as it only has a 1600 single port. Top speed 65 ish mph. Again I'll be watching this with interest.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 06:37:06 am »

That's very nice! Since having this I've started to appreciate the tin tops like yours more than the pop tops. We don't have kids so the "upstairs" cot is useless, the roof is bulky and complicated, all for the ability to stand up while changing clothes. I also much prefer the looks of the lower profile metal roofline. So for the next one, tin top all the way. Lifted only slightly. And a 1904 that appears nearly 100% stock, is simple to work on, find parts for, and repair out in the boonies. Something that you can floor the throttle for hours on end on the interstate, but has enough grunt for the trails.

I daydream a lot Roll Eyes

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 12:19:42 pm »

Looking great Zach! Perfect machine for camping trips  Wink

Brian Rogers

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 03:42:11 am »

Any progress? Being new to Westies how about an interior pic. Will be checking out the Samba soon.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 04:45:20 am »

The camper interior leaves a lot to be desired right now! I'm not sure how far I'll end up going with that aspect of the build, time will tell. I did order new seat covers and pads from WW earlier this week, so at least it will be a nice place to be while driving.

Two weeks ago I picked up this 69 Deluxe bench seat. I'm going to rob a bunch of parts out of it for this Westy (windshield, t/s lenses, headlight parts, etc etc). I'll also swap the sliding door over. It's straighter, the camper window is in better condition, and the exterior handle isn't jacked all up. And a friend of mine has the matching original paint sliding door that I need Smiley

It was filthy, but cleaned up very well.

My main battle right now is with axles. The PO knew the stock axles would be too short (they are 18 3/4"), so he put in longer axles from a Vanagon. Problem is that he chose axles from an automatic trans, so one axle is 19 7/8" and the other is 21 1/4" Roll Eyes I'm trying to figure out the correct length, either find another one of those or get axles from a manual trans Vanagon, they are around 20 1/4" - 20 1/2". But first I decided to adjust the rear suspension down so it sits level. It's about 1 1/2"-2" higher than the front right now. After that I can take accurate measurements for axles.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:47:06 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 19:29:18 pm »

I haven't made much progress on this lately. Every project I attempt ends up being more work than anticipated and it stalls me. Like the axles. The other day I got all my stuff together to recover the front seats and ended up finding a bunch of broken springs, so now that's on hold as well.
This morning was a small forward step. Picked up a football and did the trick to the nose. First time doing it, a lot of fun and very rewarding. Still ugly, but much improved.

Andrew

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 19:43:09 pm »

Front looks much straighter, bet was it therapeutic?

I haven't made much progress on this lately. Every project I attempt ends up being more work than anticipated and it stalls me.

Tell me about it, I'm still debating on air filters.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 23:21:46 pm »

Wow, that's a dramatic change. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: