The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 21:37:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A Legend for sale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Legend for sale  (Read 20431 times)
Straight Time

« on: September 14, 2016, 22:15:03 pm »

Wow, 

Legend for sale  Cry

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKWNNcWjYJ4/

No retreat, No surrender !
leec

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 22:28:30 pm »

One of my all time favourites. I kind of want to know the price but don't want to know  Smiley
Straight Time

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 22:55:30 pm »

Feel a bit sad it is for sale.  It's not on the website yet with a price........

Priceless IMHO

mg

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:05:00 am »

Dave knows how to keep a nitrous motor together.  Smiley
alex d

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:25:55 am »

some cars become icons, IMHO this is one of them, hope it goes to a good home!
Straight Time

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:18:28 am »

Scotland or Japan???

Sarge

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 14:41:39 pm »

That car will NEVER be the same without Dave behind the wheel.  Sad

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 15:14:01 pm »

Amen
Doktor

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 16:38:25 pm »

I like that car very much, and it is in my favorite color - black.
What more could I ask for a fun street & strip car ?  Cool

dr.aircooled
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 03:55:29 am »

I'd love to see it stay stateside, especially in SoCal, but it seems the Europeans have more love for the Cal Look than we do Roll Eyes I guess as long as it's being well cared for and raced hard, that's all that matters Cool

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 16:43:57 pm »

I'd love to see it stay stateside, especially in SoCal, but it seems the Europeans have more love for the Cal Look than we do Roll Eyes I guess as long as it's being well cared for and raced hard, that's all that matters Cool

Seeing the car leave the area is like saying good-bye to youth. As I have posted a million times, I got pulled under by the OC phenomenon in the late 1980's, probably right after the time DKPIII seeds sprouted. My best friend Frank and I had just graduated HS and had absolutely no direction. Junior college wasn't doing anything for either one of us. We had stumbled upon a few jobs, pizza place, delivering flowers, and working at a sourdough bakery (graveyard shift). We were at our favorite VW shop one afternoon, just loitering and the manager said to me "you're in here often enough, we might as well put you to work." I couldn't believe it. Anyway, just a few months prior the Dec '89 Hot VW's issue was out, and Frank and I each had copies, sitting at the pizza place we worked at, just consumed by feature on Gary Berg's blue '67. It was unlike anything we'd seen, except in random wrinkly black and white pictures from old magazines.
Fast forward about 6 months, I'm fully embedded into the VW parts gig, and one Saturday decided to ditch the girlfriend I had at the time, and drive my Fiat X19 to Costa Mesa from Northern CA for the VW Jamboree, in hopes of seeing Berg's car in person.
Arriving at the show the next day, not only did I find Berg's blue car, but a small row of cars that all of the sudden meant a hell of a lot to me. I have pics from that morning somewhere. In the lineup was Hector's car, Dave Rhoads' green car, Schwimmer's '59 (still with 42DCNF 1776), Jim Lowe's (now Steph's) white '57 with grey BRM's, a black oval with Berms and 48's (Brody was with that car) and Mason's car. They all stunned me, but Mason's car was like a lightning strike. Here was this black '62 which was unassuming and menacing all at the same time, from any angle. It certainly wasn't a sleeper, with it's BRM mags, recapped slicks, front runners, roll cage and 3" no-nonsense exhaust pipe jutting out from under RH running board, and nitrous tank. And that was before walking around behind the car and seeing the engine. Yet with all the muscle and attitude, the car wore all it's original moldings, full US bumpers, stock seats and dash, and it wasn't that low. Remember this was 1990, the era of 4 degrees negative rear camber, Cerwin Vega speaker boxes, RX twin stinger exhausts and Prelude crushed velour interiors. And here were these cars that ran way under the radar, but could kick ass when called upon, especially Mason's.
Over the next few years, I made it a point to visit the OC shows during the summer and Mason's car ALWAYS drew me in. In '91 at the Classic, Frank and I were walking around checking out Brinton's '67 and Rayburn's '64 and I mentioned to Frank "Wish that nutzo black sedan was here, the one with the nitrous and basically no muffler.... you gotta see it" And about a half hour later we hear this roaring and yelping of 48's getting cracked and blipped and in rushes Mason into the small group of DKP cars. He zooms past an open spot, stops, car idling like @ a nervous 1400rpm then clears its throat, and backs into the open spot (next to where I was standing), almost running my toe over with one of the Firestones! And the sound from that side-exit pipe wasn't much different than a Cosworth F1 car. Seriously. Dave gets out as Frank and I stand there gape-mouthed, like a UFo had landed in front of us. Dave smiles at us, with his shades on, opens the deckild, wipes the shroud off with a shop rag and says "Detailed, whaddya guys think?", and walks off.
Dave's car was and always will be the definition of DKP to me. It broke all the rules, Cal Look and otherwise, and always seemed to have the attitude that no other car could ever imitate.

Not just a car.
Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 17:15:27 pm »

What does it do in the quarter?

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 17:35:52 pm »

What does it do in the quarter?

mid 11's @ 120+
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 19:48:57 pm »

Sarge

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 20:21:05 pm »

...."Dave's car was and always will be the definition of DKP to me. It broke all the rules, Cal Look and otherwise, and has always had the attitude that no other car could ever imitate."

Nice story, Jim; the last line says it all!   

DKP III
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 21:06:38 pm »

If you buy it, I think Dave comes with it.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 21:20:03 pm »

Man, he's going to hate Scotland...  Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 21:25:45 pm »

I would be much more worried about Scotland.

Eddy Merckx
Sarge

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 14:19:48 pm »

What about THE BUS and a few Hawg Balls... is that part of the deal, too??  Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Russell

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:04 am »

I would be much more worried about Scotland.

Im not sure you have to worry about Scotland, we can take care of ourselves and if Dave does come with the car he will fit in perfectly and Im sure he would LOVE it, everyone does.  Wink

Russell
SCOTLAND

Best Regards

Russell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 23:24:19 pm »

Seeing the car leave the area is like saying good-bye to youth. As I have posted a million times, I got pulled under by the OC phenomenon in the late 1980's, probably right after the time DKPIII seeds sprouted. My best friend Frank and I had just graduated HS and had absolutely no direction. Junior college wasn't doing anything for either one of us. We had stumbled upon a few jobs, pizza place, delivering flowers, and working at a sourdough bakery (graveyard shift). We were at our favorite VW shop one afternoon, just loitering and the manager said to me "you're in here often enough, we might as well put you to work." I couldn't believe it. Anyway, just a few months prior the Dec '89 Hot VW's issue was out, and Frank and I each had copies, sitting at the pizza place we worked at, just consumed by feature on Gary Berg's blue '67. It was unlike anything we'd seen, except in random wrinkly black and white pictures from old magazines.
Fast forward about 6 months, I'm fully embedded into the VW parts gig, and one Saturday decided to ditch the girlfriend I had at the time, and drive my Fiat X19 to Costa Mesa from Northern CA for the VW Jamboree, in hopes of seeing Berg's car in person.
Arriving at the show the next day, not only did I find Berg's blue car, but a small row of cars that all of the sudden meant a hell of a lot to me. I have pics from that morning somewhere. In the lineup was Hector's car, Dave Rhoads' green car, Schwimmer's '59 (still with 42DCNF 1776), Jim Lowe's (now Steph's) white '57 with grey BRM's, a black oval with Berms and 48's (Brody was with that car) and Mason's car. They all stunned me, but Mason's car was like a lightning strike. Here was this black '62 which was unassuming and menacing all at the same time, from any angle. It certainly wasn't a sleeper, with it's BRM mags, recapped slicks, front runners, roll cage and 3" no-nonsense exhaust pipe jutting out from under RH running board, and nitrous tank. And that was before walking around behind the car and seeing the engine. Yet with all the muscle and attitude, the car wore all it's original moldings, full US bumpers, stock seats and dash, and it wasn't that low. Remember this was 1990, the era of 4 degrees negative rear camber, Cerwin Vega speaker boxes, RX twin stinger exhausts and Prelude crushed velour interiors. And here were these cars that ran way under the radar, but could kick ass when called upon, especially Mason's.
Over the next few years, I made it a point to visit the OC shows during the summer and Mason's car ALWAYS drew me in. In '91 at the Classic, Frank and I were walking around checking out Brinton's '67 and Rayburn's '64 and I mentioned to Frank "Wish that nutzo black sedan was here, the one with the nitrous and basically no muffler.... you gotta see it" And about a half hour later we hear this roaring and yelping of 48's getting cracked and blipped and in rushes Mason into the small group of DKP cars. He zooms past an open spot, stops, car idling like @ a nervous 1400rpm then clears its throat, and backs into the open spot (next to where I was standing), almost running my toe over with one of the Firestones! And the sound from that side-exit pipe wasn't much different than a Cosworth F1 car. Seriously. Dave gets out as Frank and I stand there gape-mouthed, like a UFo had landed in front of us. Dave smiles at us, with his shades on, opens the deckild, wipes the shroud off with a shop rag and says "Detailed, whaddya guys think?", and walks off.
Dave's car was and always will be the definition of DKP to me. It broke all the rules, Cal Look and otherwise, and always seemed to have the attitude that no other car could ever imitate.

Not just a car.

That's the kind of things I miss reading here, thanks for sharing Jim!

Russell

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 17:56:07 pm »

I agree, that's a great story Jim.

Its still amazes me how something that started as a club and remains a local club is followed and respected the world over by like minded people.

I'm sure when the rules were written, there focus was on the local Car Club, not thinking it would ever reach international appeal and there cars become beacons of light in a scene that has covered the world.

When items in this case cars become collectable its hard to define when you sell something to a collector vrs selling it to a user. look at all the NOS items still in packets that people buy and treasure, EMPI, BRM, even toys, how many buy them open them and use them.... not many !

And outwith our circle look at all the racing cars in the world that are now highly collectable, with painstaking restorations to get every detail correct..

Makes me wonder !

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Esky

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 05:08:47 am »

Jim, I love your story. Reminds me of the same time. I'm around the same age and I was in awe whenever I saw the cars your talking about. I'm from the Bay Area also, now in Carlsbad but I remember going on vacation trips to Disney Land with my family as a kid and two of the days turned into surfing in OC and what do you know, my dad always knew how to plan it so we could go to the SCS Showdown. Great times for sure and I cant compare thoses days to now myself. Everything was new and the cars were way more badass. That's the way I built my car and it wont change because it was ingrained from time and memories when I was young and always wanted to have a Bad Ass street car like the DKP guys had. I sure miss those shows and races from the 80's and 90's. I love my 67 and its been through many different combos since then. Cal-look Forever
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 19:14:28 pm »

jim  Wink
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 19:26:49 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 19:23:33 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 19:25:29 pm »

Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 19:30:21 pm »

Thanks for posting those old pictures. That last black and white one clearly shows the one-off side exit muffler Dave ran way back then. To me that was the signature of Dave's car. Loud, effective and in your face.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 19:40:03 pm »

Wink

andrewlandon67

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 18:59:14 pm »

Did anyone ever figure out where this car ended up?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 22:29:12 pm »

Did anyone ever figure out where this car ended up?
   Dave still has it

Eddy Merckx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: