The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 16:30:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
340935 Posts in 27039 Topics by 6324 Members
Latest Member: abraao88
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  1990-1993 (FORMERLY 4 YEARS- NOW CONDENSED TO 3)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: 1990-1993 (FORMERLY 4 YEARS- NOW CONDENSED TO 3)  (Read 74780 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2019, 20:13:04 pm »

Doesn't this sound like the perfect engine for a street warrior?  Grin Grin
Sam K

« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2019, 21:49:38 pm »

There are a lot of parallels to my own VW career. When I was 18, I took a minimum wage part time job at a VW parts store (Smokin' Small Car Parts) that was about 25 miles from my house. During the year or so that I worked there, I'm sure I spent more than I made. I also have a lot of fond memories of working on my car in the street or my parents driveway without the proper tools or knowledge. The first time I put an engine together, I didn't have a piston ring compressor so i just used my fingers and ended up cutting my finger tips pretty badly on the rings. I also spent a couple of frigid days swapping a swingaxle transmission in the street, in the snow. Good times!
Clatter

« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2019, 08:27:46 am »

There are a lot of parallels to my own VW career. When I was 18, I took a minimum wage part time job at a VW parts store (Smokin' Small Car Parts) that was about 25 miles from my house. During the year or so that I worked there, I'm sure I spent more than I made. I also have a lot of fond memories of working on my car in the street or my parents driveway without the proper tools or knowledge. The first time I put an engine together, I didn't have a piston ring compressor so i just used my fingers and ended up cutting my finger tips pretty badly on the rings. I also spent a couple of frigid days swapping a swingaxle transmission in the street, in the snow. Good times!

Smokin' Small Car Parts!
On The East Side of I-25, huh?

I remember that place!
Sam K

« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2019, 17:58:44 pm »

Correct! When I worked there, it was off 104th and Irma Dr. About 2 miles east of I-25.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2019, 01:27:06 am »

Please, time for a up date.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2019, 19:35:57 pm »

Misfire: 278 degrees @ .050" in an otherwise mild street engine. Spring 1991 (Part IV)

I'm sure many of you have experienced the war within yourselves.... when you know at your core that you've made a real mess of things with your car, but that cheap, insincere voice in your head keeps throwing ideas out that aren't actually going to fix anything... at best the "fixes" from the little voice might merely mask the issue.

This was now the situation I was in with the revamped engine and my choice to gut the W125 Engle out of it, and replace it with a VZ35. What was a visceral, yet velvety smooth running street engine was now reduced to a misfiring and basically undriveable waste of time and money, and 90% of me knew it. The lame 10% of me figured a jet change would be the magic answer. Carburetors are made for adjusting and fiddling with , look at all the screws on them. The ability to turn a screw will of course negate any issues with too much overlap, too little compression, and the intake charge not knowing which direction to head in.

The upcoming weekend, a Goodguys VW show and shine near the beach in beautiful Ventura, CA. All the shows I had been to in the past were always landlocked affairs at a racetrack or fairgrounds, somewhere inland. My brain conjured images of seeing my VW tucked in with the cool cars of Southern CA, glistening under the setting sun, in the shadows of gently waving palm trees, the air perfumed with girls wearing Coppertone sunscreen. Somehow I had to make my car run well (enough) over the next few days, so I could make this daydream real.

DER KLEINER PANZERS

Who was fitted with collar and chain?
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2019, 20:24:17 pm »

Are you trying to tease us, Sir Ratto.  Wink
Brian Rogers

« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2019, 16:57:06 pm »

I just hope we don’t have to wait another 2 months. I was beginning to loose interest.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #338 on: May 15, 2019, 20:08:10 pm »

I just hope we don’t have to wait another 2 months. I was beginning to loose interest.
work and family commitments have consumed a lot of my old free time. I still enjoy thinking about these early days and all that was going on, however trying to find time to do anything VW related is proving to be very difficult this year.

DER KLEINER PANZERS

Who was fitted with collar and chain?
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #339 on: May 16, 2019, 19:20:17 pm »

work and family commitments have consumed a lot of my old free time. I still enjoy thinking about these early days and all that was going on, however trying to find time to do anything VW related is proving to be very difficult this year.

No problem. Same thing for everyone. Family, work, friends, house  get in the way and hobbies are put on back burner  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: