The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:13:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Leads for short IDA manifolds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Leads for short IDA manifolds  (Read 3665 times)
Mike P

« on: October 06, 2016, 22:59:58 pm »

So after a couple too many beers last night I got to looking at an extra set of IDA's I have sitting on my bench and got a hair brained scheme.  I want to put these on a T-3 under the original engine cover.  I've found short aux. vents and short velocity stacks I just need short manifolds and I think it'll work with a center mount push/pull linkage.  So who's got a lead on short IDA manifolds?  Or who can tell me how tall their short manifolds are so I can take a few more measurements and see if this will actually work or if I should stop looking at carbs after drinking.  Thanks in advance.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 00:20:10 am »

No off the shelf manifolds will work, even th shorts are much too tall. You'd have to shorten them further. Look at a IDF/DRLA type 3 manifolds to get an idea of what they will need to look like (except with even more bend in them due to the wider spacing). Even if you do manage to make them fit the lid will be directly above the stacks. In short, it's going to be a big challenge. Have another beer Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Mike P

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:24 am »

Thanks for the reply.  I did see a post on "In da works" that really got my gears turning.  It's post # 49 of "The Gates of Hell."  Please excuse my computer illiteracy, I don't know how to post pictures, I hate computers.  This has my head spinning...
Mike P

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:44:50 am »

Maybe this will work.  Here's the picture that has my head spinning.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:52:19 am »

Yeah, that's defintiely shorter.

When I first got my 1776 DCNF type 3 engine together I ran it without filters. I noticed every time I would stomp on the throttle I'd immediately get a fuel smell inside the cabin. Put filters on and it went away.

Even if you do manage to jam them under the deck, how much room will you have above them to breathe? Fuel standoff will spray all over the inside of the lid. Those little stack filters are not a good solution, IMO.

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 06:28:45 am »

felix has IDA's on short manifolds, they have been reworked (switched) but the carbs are still too high to fit completely under the lid.
for me i think it creates more problems then it solves.
DCNF's have the barrels quite close to each other so the way the fuel travels is still pretty straight. IDF manifolds are allready on a quite angled and will work with IDFs and Dellorto's (i should try 48 dellortos, which are big).
IDA's are even wider so that could be the main problem to fit them, too wide to overcome the angle in a decent way on such a short manifold.

of course now someone will prove me wrong and show it can be done  Grin
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:42:56 am »

^^^ I would love to be proven wrong. As far as I know it hasn't happened, and I'm sure there's a good reason for that.

DCNF's are the perfect type 3 performance carburetor. If you didn't know any better you would think they were specially designed for it.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 23:40:13 pm »

Maybe this will work.  Here's the picture that has my head spinning.

Maybe it will work in terms of space under the floor in a T-3 but I don't think that will work in terms of running well.

1. 48 IDA's on VW motors have lots of fuel reversion. Look at any sedan that runs a decklid and 48 IDA Webers. The inside of the decklid will probably be fuel stained from reversion. It's part of IR intake system. If you give it nowhere to "fog" above the aux vents, you're going to have a hell of a time tuning it. Even the stock single 30-34mm carbs need some room, which is why they run like junk when people remove the stock air filter and put one of those $6.00 chrome n' foam things on instead.

2. asking the intake charge to change direction and taper to such a degree, in a short length, by shortening manifolds enough to stuff those carbs under the floor, I'm not sure what effect that will have.

3. Short air horns creates more of an issue with point # 1

Use DCNF or Dellorto DRLA's. Does the engine move enough air to justify more that either of those carbs can deal with anyway?

Jim
Mike P

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 02:07:51 am »

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Like I said in my original post this is a beer induced idea.  Thinking more about this I'm not opposed to modifying the T-3 engine cover to give any carb a little more breathing room, I just don't want to cut the body or add a firewall and convert to T-1.  As far as DCNF's go, I don't have them looking at me on the bench every time I walk into the garage.  The DRLA's, I've got 40's but nothing as far as jets go to start tuning.  

As far as needing more air I'm not 100% sure, again this is all a beer induced thought.  But if I can get something to seem a little more realistic making the swap from a 1914, I think, to a 2165-2275ish with a K-8, W-125, or 86b, 8.5ish:1 and something like the "mini wedge ports" for heads may be in the picture.  I've already started searching out a 5 speed to keep "good" gears in it while remaining freeway drivable.  As the car sits now the "freeway flyer" is killing me in 3rd and 4th if my foot is in it.  

Sorry for the ramblings I've just been out of this for almost 12 years and am jumping back in full force.  Hell, when I'm not at work I'm sitting in the garage until midnight looking at both cars and writing out lists and plans.  I've missed this shit but never realized how much I missed it until now.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:25:07 am by Mike P » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: