The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:40:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Cleaning/polishing/waxing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cleaning/polishing/waxing  (Read 4480 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: November 04, 2016, 06:30:30 am »

I'm kinda curious, what does everyone use to keep their lookers clean and shiny? Even though my car is faded, mostly original paint, I've found that I can get some decent shine back with just a good wash and wax, and I'm looking at starting to get into polishing compounds, although I'm kind of limited to doing things by hand, as buffers are rather pricey these days. The wax I use is Griot's Garage Cleaner Wax, and now that I've figured out a decent technique, it definitely helps bring out some depth to the color.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:59 am »

I use Farecla G10 cutting compound rather than T-cut to remove oxidisation - my red car has been sitting for a while and has lost its shine. When it's all polished up again I need a good quality wax so I'm interested in what others use too. Auto glym Super Resin has been recommended to me in the past.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 21:51:14 pm »

On my Bug I use, depending on how long it's been since I last went through the process, either 3M Machine Polish (B) the grey stuff, applied by hand, followed by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze High Tech Yellow wax. Or I will do a step between, using first 3M grey stuff, then Meguiar's Show Car Glaze and then the Yellow wax.

Same on our dark blue Golf GTI and our even darker blue Audi Q5. I've experimented on both of these, and if the wax has held up well, and no real issues with water spots or birds, I will do the Show Car Glaze (by hand) and then the yellow wax. If the paint needs some help (both the Golf and the Audi live outside) then they get the 3M stuff first.

Typically every 6-8 weeks on all three.

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 20:43:13 pm »

I have good results with stuff from Poor Boys World and dodo juice. I will use Collinite 476 as a wax since the reviews look promising.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
mg

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 19:04:52 pm »

This Speedy Surface Prep Towel - Fine Grade is awesome.  Cool
They replace the clay bar method of cleaning before waxing.
Clay bar is a hassle, when it slips and falls on the ground and get contaminated.
http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel.html
or
https://www.amazon.com/Migliore-Ultimo-Clay-Towel-Alternative/dp/B00ON9SU9M/ref=pd_lpo_263_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJJRDQVJM5D73S32PT81

Just the clay towel and then spray on Carnuba, that leaves do white residue or dust.
Also use something like Meguires spray on Final Detail during clay towel cleaning and for removing/buffing off the spray on Carnuba.

Cleaning and waxing just got easier.
Using this cloth I was able to clean and wax a Dually pick up and a 24 foot enclosed trailer in one day.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:51:58 am by mg » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: