The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 14:54:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Stroker crank counterweight sizes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stroker crank counterweight sizes  (Read 3712 times)
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:15 am »

I'm plotting and scheming to get a 82mm or 84mm crank, Chev journal. Still (I've been plotting for QUITE a while).......    Roll Eyes

Anyway, it occurred to me that since I picked the rods to minimise clearancing in the case I might as well ask if anyone knows which brand/type/machinist/manufacturer has the "smallest" stroker. Eg, do you need more work on the case for a Scat compared to a DPR compared to a generic 4340? Are some counterweights significantly bigger on some brands and so affect piston clearance more than others?

Just curious really. I have everything else I need, just the crank to go into the shed for when I have the time.

Thank you.
Dave
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 21:01:18 pm »

interesting question, but  can't say for sure.
there are however different 'styles', plain bulky weights, more circular ones, knife edged ones,… interesting to know more about what is needed for what purpose.  Wink
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:55:47 pm »

Hey Nicolas.

I don't need counterweights at all in my opinion really. The engine will mostly sit between 2500 - 4000, a highway car. Our highways last for hours, with only the occasional overtake to relieve the boredom, and it's unlikely to be revved past 6000. Good balancing is more important.

But since it is probably impossible to get an 82mm or 84mm crank without counterweights, I thought some may be bigger and heftier than others.

Just curious mostly, but where I live I can't just walk into a VW shop and compare, so thought I'd ask.
richie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 13:12:06 pm »

Hey Nicolas.

I don't need counterweights at all in my opinion really. The engine will mostly sit between 2500 - 4000, a highway car. Our highways last for hours, with only the occasional overtake to relieve the boredom, and it's unlikely to be revved past 6000. Good balancing is more important.

But since it is probably impossible to get an 82mm or 84mm crank without counterweights, I thought some may be bigger and heftier than others.

Just curious mostly, but where I live I can't just walk into a VW shop and compare, so thought I'd ask.

I am sure DPR would make you one without counterweights if that's what you wanted

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Joel Mohr

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 21:29:19 pm »

I had Jose make me an 84 with what I called "horse shoe" counterweights...I'll try and post a pic tomorrow....

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Joel Mohr

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:35:43 am »

I had it in my Pro Gas motor, but bearings showed too much flex for 8,000...Type 4 center main, 11/32 dowels..for sale....300 US
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:37:50 am by Joel Mohr » Logged

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 00:46:19 am »

Hey look at that! Better opposite piston clearance and lighter weight (I'm guessing?  Huh).
That's cool man, interesting design.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: